Vattenfall Cyclassics

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Freire edges Zabel.

Just thought I would inject some actual racing news in here.

Well, Freire's proved again he's one of the best sprinters on these hillyish classics. Certainly a rider to watch out for in Salzburg later this year.

Note to the moderator troll:
This has nothing to do with the Grant Tours and should be closed.
:)

hombredesubaru said:
Sorry. There just does not seem to be much discussion of pro racing in the "Road Racing" forum.

No worries, I was just surprised my Dave Stoller threaD got shut down by the troll moderator.
HEW Classics was a great race this year and Zaberl was sooooo close to winning,
He is amazing. And Freire s clearly on form.

hombredesubaru said:

All the Spring Classics threads are in here.

Dead Star said:
Well, Freire's proved again he's one of the best sprinters on these hillyish classics. Certainly a rider to watch out for in Salzburg later this year.
Yeah, still the best....too bad Alejet will be soon back with his Milram train (including zabel):p :D

did anyone see any coverage? any feedback on reduced spectator interest or coverage consequent on l'affaire du dopage apres le Tour?

MJtje said:
Yeah, still the best....too bad Alejet will be soon back with his Milram train (including zabel):p :D
Alejet can win 1st class sprints while Zabel can`t. Sad reaility. However, I think Zabel is great. So many 2nd places in last few years but smiling every time and never giving up. It would be good to have a statistic of his top3 placings in last seasons..

tiogar said:
did anyone see any coverage? any feedback on reduced spectator interest or coverage consequent on l'affaire du dopage apres le Tour?
Funny you bring this up, because the NOS had a reportage about the interest in this race after all the doping cases. Guess what, the general tone was "soooo what".....German fans were interviewed and they still liked Ullrich very much...

Another fan said that the top guys probably need to take doping in order to compete.............

I don't think there were less fans then last year....so the journalist ended his report with: "And the doping cases seem to be forgotten (by the fans) allready and cycling will, once again, overcome another doping crisis..........."

MJtje said:
Funny you bring this up, because the NOS had a reportage about the interest in this race after all the doping cases. Guess what, the general tone was "soooo what".....German fans were interviewed and they still liked Ullrich very much...

Another fan said that the top guys probably need to take doping in order to compete.............

I don't think there were less fans then last year....so the journalist ended his report with: "And the doping cases seem to be forgotten (by the fans) allready and cycling will, once again, overcome another doping crisis..........."
It's correct, most people didn't care and there where almost as much spectators as in recent years. There has been done a lot of research why the number of TV viewers for the TdF has been going down so dramaticly. Most people who didn't watch (in Germany) said "because Ullrich didn't race".

I think that's normal because the media in Germany where talking for weeks about the big showdown between Basso and Ullrich, as if they where the only contenders. If you mentioned Valverde, Landis or Menchov people asked Val-who? The Cyclassics are a different story: people where told again and again Zabel was one of the favourites and so people came since they knew Zabel would start.