VDB caught driving drunk

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    It's very interesting doing the compare-and-contrast thing with different language editions of
    Eurosport. A few days ago I mentioned that LANCE's probable retirement in 2004 made the French and
    Italian editions, but not the English one (it has since been added). In any event, today's Italian
    edition has this story:

    http://www.eurosport.com/static_filesV2/asp/pages/sport_dyn.asp?langueid=4&s
    portid=18&storyid=370012&Gener=true

    which, roughly translated, says that VDB was caught DUI last weekend with a blood alcohol level
    about three times the legal limit. He was driving home after a party in Brussels at 3am without
    headlights.

    Tags:

  2. Bart

    Bart Guest

    BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he wanted to. When she finally
    "agreed" he took off without her.

    FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's farewell gig, where lots of cyclists
    drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist Lefevere says: "this time of the year, most cyclists dont
    mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the DUI more harshly

  3. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he
    wanted
    > to. When she finally "agreed" he took off without her.
    >
    > FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's farewell gig, where lots of
    > cyclists drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist
    Lefevere
    > says: "this time of the year, most cyclists dont mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the DUI
    > more harshly

    A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on Lefevere.

    Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.

    How can anyone support this man anymore?

  4. Bart wrote:
    > BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he wanted to. When she finally
    > "agreed" he took off without her.
    >
    > FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's farewell gig, where lots of
    > cyclists drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist Lefevere says: "this time of the year, most
    > cyclists dont mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the DUI more harshly

    http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4188 I found the last line of their article humorous.
    'No word yet on whether Vandenbroucke’s dog was in any way involved in the incident.'
    psb

  5. "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:51:23 GMT, "Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he
    > >wanted
    > >> to. When she finally "agreed" he took off without her.
    > >>
    > >> FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's
    farewell
    > >> gig, where lots of cyclists drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist
    > >Lefevere
    > >> says: "this time of the year, most cyclists dont mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the
    > >> DUI more harshly
    > >

    > >A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on
    > >Lefevere.
    > >
    > >Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.
    > >

    > >How can anyone support this man anymore?
    >
    > I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy to
    > support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and one of
    > these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    >
    > No one is perfect including you and me. <g>

    Not true!!! Sharon Peters is perfect!

    Brian Lafferty

  6. Jomama

    Jomama Guest

    "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:51:23 GMT, "Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he
    > >wanted
    > >> to. When she finally "agreed" he took off without her.
    > >>
    > >> FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's
    farewell
    > >> gig, where lots of cyclists drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist
    > >Lefevere
    > >> says: "this time of the year, most cyclists dont mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the
    > >> DUI more harshly
    > >

    > >A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on
    > >Lefevere.
    > >
    > >Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.
    > >

    > >How can anyone support this man anymore?
    >
    > I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy to
    > support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and one of
    > these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    >
    > No one is perfect including you and me. <g>
    >
    > Sparhawk

    How much would you support him if you or a loved one were riding your bike on the same road as he
    while he was driving like that?

  7. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:51:23 GMT, "Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> BAD and omitted: his wife hade been driving and he said he argued he
    > >wanted
    > >> to. When she finally "agreed" he took off without her.
    > >>
    > >> FOR THE DEFENSE: no loose partying, he was coming from Lapage's
    farewell
    > >> gig, where lots of cyclists drank alcohol. Or as eternal apologist
    > >Lefevere
    > >> says: "this time of the year, most cyclists dont mind a few drinks". Museeuw had condemned the
    > >> DUI more harshly
    > >

    > >A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on
    > >Lefevere.
    > >
    > >Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.
    > >

    > >How can anyone support this man anymore?
    >
    > I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy to
    > support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and one of
    > these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    >
    > No one is perfect including you and me. <g>

    Supporting someone after the first fuckup is OK. After the second fuckup is OK.

    After the 10th fuckup and leaving the wife on the side of the road, it's no longer OK. VdB keeps
    screwing up because he never has to pay any real consequences.

  8. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    "Brian Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:51:23 GMT, "Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]...
    > > >wanted

    > farewell
    > > >Lefevere
    > > >

    > > >A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on
    > > >Lefevere.
    > > >
    > > >Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.
    > > >

    > > >How can anyone support this man anymore?
    > >
    > > I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy
    > > to support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and
    > > one of these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    > >
    > > No one is perfect including you and me. <g>
    >
    > Not true!!! Sharon Peters is perfect!

    She's not perfect. She's no 12 year old boy.

    Allegedly, Ronde Champ

  9. Robin

    Robin Guest

  10. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:13:58 GMT, "jomama" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:51:23 GMT, "Canuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> >wanted

    >farewell
    >> >Lefevere
    >> >

    >> >A borderline DUI can be harmless, but 3 times the legal limit is not defensible. Shame on
    >> >Lefevere.
    >> >
    >> >Leaving the wife isn't defensible either.
    >> >

    >> >How can anyone support this man anymore?
    >>
    >> I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy
    >> to support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and one
    >> of these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    >>
    >> No one is perfect including you and me. <g>
    >>
    >> Sparhawk
    >>

    >How much would you support him if you or a loved one were riding your bike on the same road as he
    >while he was driving like that?

    I'm not saying that what he did is right but he doesn't deserve the death penality either.

    He didn't kill or injure anyone did he?

    Even our President Bush was arrested for DUI. <g>

    Sparhawk

  11. Yeah, that would be a real bummer ending to one of my frequent 1-4am training rides ;)

    - Boyd S.

    "jomama" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > How much would you support him if you or a loved one were riding your bike on the same road as he
    > while he was driving like that?

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  13. Riders should stay single. The list of misdemeanours where wives were involved is getting longer:

    Mrs Rumsas + mother-in-law (double points) VDB and his wife (and his dog) That chick with the
    pom-poms who took out Boogerd on the climb Not forgetting Coppi's mistress.

    Stay single and keep your crank polished, is the best advice.

  14. Sparhawk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:13:58 GMT, "jomama" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > wanted

    > farewell
    > Lefevere

    > >> I support him, this is probably the time in his life that he needs support the most! It is easy
    > >> to support Lance Armstrong and other "good guys" of racing but when the shit hits the fan and
    > >> one of these guys get into trouble it is no time to not to support them.
    > >>
    > >> No one is perfect including you and me. <g>
    > >>
    > >> Sparhawk
    > >>

    > >How much would you support him if you or a loved one were riding your bike on the same road as he
    > >while he was driving like that?
    >
    > I'm not saying that what he did is right but he doesn't deserve the death penality either.
    >
    > He didn't kill or injure anyone did he?

    Who cares whether he killed anyone or not. Did his driving violate the center line rule?

    -RJ