VDO Z3 computer - anyone used this?

Guaps

Aug 14, 2006
Has anyone used the VDO Z3 computer? You can see it here. I'm looking for a computer that will tell me altitude and has a built in heart rate monitor. I think the ability to upload info to the computer is kind of cool too. I've read a lot about the Garmin 705, but I've heard it still has quite a few bugs. I'm thinking this VDO computer might be a good alternative.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Hey there I have the z3 pc link and It seems to be a great computer so far. The download option is awesome and the five year warranty is great too. it will take you a while to get it all set up as the manual is 65 pages long. but it will give you more data then you know what to do with :)
The altimeter seems to work very well and the amount of data on the screen at on time is nice too. If you are looking to buy one check performance they had it on sale for 299 and if you search around you might be able to find a 15 or 20% off coupon. I got mine for $ 239.
Also if you need the cadence sensor for this ( then the unit figures wattage) Go and get one from trek they use the same sensor for the ACH Digital ( my last computer) and it is 20.00 cheaper then the one from VDO.
I am still learning how to use this computer myself but so far I like it. if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.:D

Thanks for the info and tips on where to pick it up!

Couple quick questions (I know it's been a while since this thread started, but I've been backpacking for the last 10 with no computer to follow up on this)

How's the battery life? Is it rechargable?
How's the computer interface/software? Have you found any aftermarket services (like motionbased.com for garmin) that you like/use with it?

Thanks again!

The Battery life seems ok to me it uses a standard cr2032 battery.

The software is great, probably much more than anyone would ever need!! the manual for the pc sport software is 70+ pages and the help section is even more. I am still learning alot about the software and have even emailed VDO with some questions on a few things and they got right back to me and were very helpful.

I dont know much about the aftermarket services for the garmin, however the pc sport software allows you to upload your course data from a garmin unit and place lay out your course with mapping from google earth. This is something that I really think would be cool but after spending 250 on the z3 my wife would string me to a tree if I asked for a gps unit. if you want to see all of what the sofware has to it I can send you a pdf of the manual.

So far I love the unit the best feature that I have found is the ride profile chart that you can get after a ride.

I would say buy it, it also has a 5 year warranty and if you were to get it from performance bike they have a no questions asked return policy if you dont like it.

If I can figure out how to post a chart I will show you the ride profile option that I like so much

Here is a pic of the chart.... I hope!!! how if you see on the right I only have HR (the color bars on the HR is my target zones) and ALT displayed there is much more that you can show in this chart. there is some options that the VDO dont/cant measure like Vo2 and Breathing Rate
chart.jpg

Very cool. Thanks again for the info. I think I'll give it a try...

take care
jeff