vegans/vegetarians?

el guapo

Oct 23, 2004
Anybody else cycle vegan or vegetarian?
About two years ago my wife, after being off and on vegan herself for most of her life, convinced me to stop eating meat all together(I had already stopped eating red meat and chicken a while back). After doing so I dropped about 2% of my body fat and about 4 lb. and I feel a TON healthier, not that I was eating unhealthy to begin with. I can't remeber the last time I had fast food. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is and what they eat before and after rides if that is not too nosy.
I generally eat either a banana, apple or some dates for the sugar and some nuts for the protein about 30 minutes before a ride. This seems to work pretty well for me as far as energy goes. I eat a full bowl of Kashi Go Lean crunch for breakfast before I ride in the morning and the carb bomb that provides really helps.
I highly reccomend the banana and a handful of unsalted nuts before a ride. Works excellent for sustained energy, at least my own very unscientific tests have proven so.

el guapo said:
Anybody else cycle vegan or vegetarian?
About two years ago my wife, after being off and on vegan herself for most of her life, convinced me to stop eating meat all together(I had already stopped eating red meat and chicken a while back). After doing so I dropped about 2% of my body fat and about 4 lb. and I feel a TON healthier, not that I was eating unhealthy to begin with. I can't remeber the last time I had fast food. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is and what they eat before and after rides if that is not too nosy.
I generally eat either a banana, apple or some dates for the sugar and some nuts for the protein about 30 minutes before a ride. This seems to work pretty well for me as far as energy goes. I eat a full bowl of Kashi Go Lean crunch for breakfast before I ride in the morning and the carb bomb that provides really helps.
I highly reccomend the banana and a handful of unsalted nuts before a ride. Works excellent for sustained energy, at least my own very unscientific tests have proven so.
Been veggie (not vegan) for about 8 years. Before rides is usually a big bowl of oatmeal, pint of V8, and maybe a bagel. Longer rides I bring a Clif Bar or two. After rides I usually consume whatever happens to be in the fridge - leftover pasta most times, and of course a beer or two :)

nick burns said:
Been veggie (not vegan) for about 8 years. Before rides is usually a big bowl of oatmeal, pint of V8, and maybe a bagel. Longer rides I bring a Clif Bar or two. After rides I usually consume whatever happens to be in the fridge - leftover pasta most times, and of course a beer or two :)
I've been a vegetarian for quite some time, one of my most favorite pre-ride meals is a big bowl of whole weat pasta with sauce and/or parmesean cheese.

cliff bars are the jam too, i was suprised to find out that they are vegan as well.

adamallstar said:
I've been a vegetarian for quite some time, one of my most favorite pre-ride meals is a big bowl of whole weat pasta with sauce and/or parmesean cheese.

cliff bars are the jam too, i was suprised to find out that they are vegan as well.

this thread maybe of interest as well. i've been veggie for almost 15 years!

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t184475.html

ric

i do not know what kinda veg head i am
i do not eat chicken, pork, or beef.
still drink milk, eat cheese, and free range eggs, and seafood
when i go for a ride i take trail mix with me, nuts with m&m,s in it.
however i am hungrier more often and think i should experiment with energy bars or granola bars.

aa9t8 said:
i do not know what kinda veg head i am
i do not eat chicken, pork, or beef.
still drink milk, eat cheese, and free range eggs, and seafood
when i go for a ride i take trail mix with me, nuts with m&m,s in it.
however i am hungrier more often and think i should experiment with energy bars or granola bars.

as you eat seafood you're not actually a vegetarian. there maybe some descriptor for you but i'm not certain.

on the other hand, if you didn't eat sea food but ate the other stuff you'd be an ovo-lacto vegetarian

ric

nick burns said:
Oatmeal and V8 - GAAAAK! :eek: Give me liver, broccoli, even brussel sprouts, but puhleeze - no oatmeal or V8! Ugh, now I've got to go wash my mouth out with a steak.

And a beer. :)

blazingpedals said:
Oatmeal and V8 - GAAAAK! :eek: Give me liver, broccoli, even brussel sprouts, but puhleeze - no oatmeal or V8! Ugh, now I've got to go wash my mouth out with a steak.

And a beer. :)
Heya. New ovo-lacto vegetarian here.

Oatmeal's sooooooo good! Especially with raspberries! I basically eat the stuff that my dining hall gives me. Lots of tofu, imitation meat, cereal, fruits, salads, stuff like that. I don't think I've gotten to the point yet where I have to eat something specifically for a ride though.

I never understood the vegan way though. Why no milk and eggs? Is it purely for health reasons or ethical ones? Cuz I figure if a chicken lays an egg I might as well eat it or else it'll go to waste. Same with milk.

hey ya ever wonder about the guy who watched a chicken lay an egg and then ate it?

i'm ... almost vegetarian...i find myself succumb about every 4 months or so. not far off though; never really miss meat 'cept when i do an extremely difficult ride.

sometimes i worry though that i'm missing the protein i need. i do eat milk and cheese, and i can't afford whey protein. eat lots of tofu but it's not a complete protein, correct?

babybunny said:
Heya. New ovo-lacto vegetarian here.

I never understood the vegan way though. Why no milk and eggs? Is it purely for health reasons or ethical ones? Cuz I figure if a chicken lays an egg I might as well eat it or else it'll go to waste. Same with milk.

I, like aa9t8, also have cut most meat outta my diet except for the fishies. Just can't seem to let them go. Although this is unofficial, I call this catagory a pescatarian :confused: . And I still have a problem cutting out the eggs and cheese but I don't do milk by itself, so I'm unofficially a lacto-octo pescatarian :rolleyes: .

As for the egg eating this is I believe a purely ethical reason for not eating them. As the treatment of the hens that lay the eggs are kinda cruel. 4-5 hens in a little 2'/2' box cranking em' out day in and day out. Also there seems to be the little order of pecking that causes them to lose their beeks forcefully by us 'Humans'.

Milk on the other hand is probably the most odd thing I've come to understand. For me personally, I have yet to figure out why we are the only species of animals that actually drinks another animals milk. Our bodies were never designed to ingest this. Hence, lactose intolerant. And no species ever drinks it's own milk from it's mother past a 6 months period. (this period is a guess not a fact, as I don't know excatly the longest ingestion period for all animals) Of course cow's milk is made for the calf which actually grows to a full grown cow in a period of 18 months. We on the other hand take a good 18 years sometimes longer for some of use to reach adulthood ;) . Also the process on which we get the milk from the cows is quite cruel and painfull for the cow. I dare you to hook a machine up to your nipples and let it suck on you for 8 hrs a day and see how you like the chaffing. I've had board rash on my nipples :eek:from surfing before and let me tell ya if it even comes close :mad:. These of course are my views on it maybe you care maybe you don't. I am not trying to convert anyone here it's just a lil' bit of the 10% of my cranium that's left over after years of abuse ;).

Dz

ric_stern/RST said:
as you eat seafood you're not actually a vegetarian. there maybe some descriptor for you but i'm not certain.

on the other hand, if you didn't eat sea food but ate the other stuff you'd be an ovo-lacto vegetarian

ric
pesco-vegetarian: eats dairy foods, eggs, and fish, but no other animal foods

from: http://www.northmemorial.com/healthencyclopedia/content/1948.asp

By their definitions, I'd probably be defined as a semi-vegetarian. I do eat meat, but far less than the average person.

Catabolic Jones said:
i'm ... almost vegetarian...i find myself succumb about every 4 months or so. not far off though; never really miss meat 'cept when i do an extremely difficult ride.

sometimes i worry though that i'm missing the protein i need. i do eat milk and cheese, and i can't afford whey protein. eat lots of tofu but it's not a complete protein, correct?

You can get all the protein you need, even for an elite TdF rider from a vegetarian diet. There's no need to eat meat/fish/poultry (unless you want to). Protein requirements are higher for elite cycling (e.g., TdF) compared with any other sport (~2g/kg body mass/day), but are still easily met by a vegetarian (and of course a non-vegetarian) diet. Most western people overly consume protein and easily exceed their daily requirement.

Having performed many, many dietary analysis i have yet to find someone deficient in protein.

To eat a 'complete' protein you can mix 'incomplete' proteins together, such as beans on toast. cheap, easy, and 'complete' proteins.

it maybe after a ride that you develop a specific taste for something (in your case meat), but post exercise, protein ingestion isn't very important if at all. It's the ability to consume high glycaemic carbs ~ 1.5 g/kg body mass within say 30-mins that's way, way, more important

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
You can get all the protein you need, even for an elite TdF rider from a vegetarian diet. There's no need to eat meat/fish/poultry (unless you want to). Protein requirements are higher for elite cycling (e.g., TdF) compared with any other sport (~2g/kg body mass/day), but are still easily met by a vegetarian (and of course a non-vegetarian) diet. Most western people overly consume protein and easily exceed their daily requirement.

To eat a 'complete' protein you can mix 'incomplete' proteins together, such as beans on toast. cheap, easy, and 'complete' proteins.ric
Great post! I totally agree! I know at least two raw food vegan cyclists that are travelling around Australia solo with absolutley no animal products ir derivatives in their diets and are fit and healthy human beings.

While 'complete proteins' are important - the essential 8 aminoacids that we cannot manufacture in our own bodies - there is no need to consume them in ratio at every meal - rice with beans - for example. It is important, however, to have a varied diet so that you are consuming the range or essential amino acids on a regular basis, but as ric said; you are unlikely to experience deficiency.

Your protein needs are not terribly great compared to the carbohydrate balance of your diet, meat and dairy don't contain much carbohydrate at all. If you include wholegrain products, fresh fruit and veg, nuts and legumes you should not only be satisfied and completely healthy, you will be getting all the micronutrients without the negative components found in meat and dairy.

Not that I'm biased mind.... ;)

I too have been veggie for 15+ years. There is just so many good options out there. I love the soy and rice milks plus the soy and rice cheeses to choose from. You don't have to eat meat to get protein. As far as fueling up for rides, I like the special pancakes my wife makes me or my special cereal like solution. Lots of these products are now appearing in your regular grocery stores due to the demand.

Before (one hour pre-ride because of morning ride) : Oatmeal +pb+blueberries + a bit of protein powder
During: bananas/pancakes/bread/sweet potatos
Post: Same as above sans PB or oatmeal pancakes OR whole grain fruit and nut bread with whipped cottage cheese....fruit.

ovo/lacto Veg-9ish years

e