Vegemite

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark Shaw, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can count in binary, and those who

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

  3. "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

    It is a food spread made from yeast, the yeast is pressure cooked and reduced until it is black and
    the consistency of heavy grease. The excess yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it)
    has to go somewhere and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
    group vitamins.

    Those raised on it enjoy it on sandwiches or often on toast for breakfast. It can also be used
    judiciously as a background flavour in soups, stews etc but be warned it is quite strong and salty.
    Those not raised on it find it an acquired taste.

    If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered toast as part of a
    savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of
    it you will be put off for life as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and deposited in
    the back of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.

    Some (like my wife) wouldn't eat any other spread. I *was* raised on it and can take it or leave it.

    David

  4. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    Mark Shaw wrote:
    > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

    I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of butter, with a tinge of the
    veg'. Perfect.

    www.vegemite.com.au

    --
    something witty

  5. Themom1

    Themom1 Guest

    You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    225/187.4/145

    "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    > "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can count in binary, and those who cannot."
    > -unknown

  6. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    > "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can count in binary, and those who cannot."
    > -unknown

    Particularly nice on very hot buttered toast..Hmm..You only spread it very,very...thinly
    though...not like you (or at least me..) spread Peanut Butter...

    Bigbazza..Oz

  7. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    David Hare-Scott wrote:

    > If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered toast as part of a
    > savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well with sweet things. If you get a mouthful
    > of it you will be put off for life as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and
    > deposited in the back of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.

    I like it 'raw' for a salt kick.

    It's also good to disguise cat medicines/crushed pills. Like licking the salt off your hand, cats
    really go for it. *meow*

  8. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    "THEMOM1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
    >
    > --
    > Helen
    >
    > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    Yeah, just like Christ being a cheap copy of John the Baptist.

    Time means little; substance is of significance.

    pavane

  9. "lea b" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mark Shaw wrote:
    >> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >
    > I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of butter, with a tinge of the
    > veg'. Perfect.
    >
    > www.vegemite.com.au

    I like my Vegemite unadulterated. No butter or margarine! I like it on toast, on an English muffin
    or on a crumpet for breakfast. Vegemite sandwiches and Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches were a staple
    for lunch during my schoolyears (and earlier - apparently when I was a toddler I went for quite a
    long period refusing to eat anything other than Vegemite sandwiches and custard <g>, or so my mum
    used to tell me). Many people like Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but I've always preferred
    Vegemite and lettuce.

    I've also been known to eat Vegemite spread on Weetbix (http://www.weetbix.com.au/) as a snack.

    One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous discussion on Vegemite was to spread
    it on toast and top with a poached egg.

    Rhonda Anderson - a happy little Vegemite Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  10. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "THEMOM1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
    >
    > --
    > Helen

    I think you have it very wrong there, Helen...The other way around....Marmite is a very, very cheap
    imitation of what some think that 'Vegemite' tastes like...very wrong...<g>...

    Bigbazza..Oz

  11. Rbinca

    Rbinca Guest

    David Hare-Scott said:

    > "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    >

    > It is a food spread made from yeast, the yeast is pressure cooked and reduced until it is black
    > and the consistency of heavy grease. The excess yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of
    > it) has to go somewhere and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
    > group vitamins.
    >
    > Those raised on it enjoy it on sandwiches or often on toast for breakfast. It can also be used
    > judiciously as a background flavour in soups, stews etc but be warned it is quite strong and
    > salty. Those not raised on it find it an acquired taste.
    >
    > If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered toast as part of a
    > savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well with sweet things. If you get a mouthful
    > of it you will be put off for life as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and
    > deposited in the back of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.
    >
    > Some (like my wife) wouldn't eat any other spread. I *was* raised on it and can take it or
    > leave it.
    >
    > David

    Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
    looking for it.

  12. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    THEMOM1 wrote:
    > I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

    It's a superior version of Marmite. Ever compared the two ? Oh, and Promite sucks pretty bad too.

  13. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    rbinca wrote:

    > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
    > looking for it.

    I bought some last week in a none-too-chichi town in Pugetopolis. I think it has a shelf-life of
    several decades. blacksalt who remembers trying it in Australia as a child, and being unable to
    bear it. My father, a poor boy who milked, collected eggs and delivered the produce morning and
    night 7 days a week, couldn't bear throwing food out. He ate it without a word, and we all watched
    with sympathy.

  14. Cherry

    Cherry Guest

    Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite. Ergo Vegemite is the "very, very
    cheap imitation of what some think Marmite tastes like". Now check the history sir.

    http://www.marmite.com/

    http://www.vegemite.com.au

    Cherry

    "Bigbazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "THEMOM1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Helen
    > >

    > I think you have it very wrong there, Helen...The other way around....Marmite is a very, very
    > cheap imitation of what some think that 'Vegemite' tastes like...very wrong...<g>...
    >
    > Bigbazza..Oz

  15. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    Rhonda Anderson wrote:
    > "lea b" wrote:
    >> Mark Shaw wrote:
    >>> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
    >>
    >> I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of butter, with a tinge of the
    >> veg'. Perfect.
    >>
    >> www.vegemite.com.au
    >>

    > I like my Vegemite unadulterated. No butter or margarine! I like it on toast, on an English muffin
    > or on a crumpet for breakfast. Vegemite sandwiches and Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches were a
    > staple for lunch during my schoolyears (and earlier - apparently when I was a toddler I went for
    > quite a long period refusing to eat anything other than Vegemite sandwiches and custard <g>, or so
    > my mum used to tell me). Many people like Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but I've always
    > preferred Vegemite and lettuce.

    I don't like the Veg & Cheese combo either, but I do like it with lettuce ( and Veg & sliced onion
    is good too - though stinky ! :)

    > I've also been known to eat Vegemite spread on Weetbix (http://www.weetbix.com.au/) as a snack.

    ack! Big glass of milk, big glass of milk - I can't beathe, the weetbix is stuck in my throat !!

    > One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous discussion on Vegemite was to
    > spread it on toast and top with a poached egg.

    I do that sometimes ;)

  16. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    rbinca wrote:

    > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
    > looking for it.

    Australian Foods, Gifts and Souvenirs 123 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, Texas, 78205, USA Phone 210-
    2991077, Fax 210-2991078, Email: [email protected] www.about-australia-shop.com

    4266 East 43rd Street North Little Rock Arkansas USA 72117 Fax: 501-945-3984
    http://www.everythingaustralian.com/vegemite.html

    ( From a quick Google around )

  17. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:52:49 -0800, rbinca <[email protected]> wrote:

    re: Vegemite
    > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
    > looking for it.

    Yeah, but I mainly see it in specialty shops. There's a British foods store in Huber Heights,
    OH which has both Marmite and Vegemite, IIRC. And Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, OH carries it,
    I'm fairly sure.

    I don't remember if I've seen it in any regular grocery stores, but seeing as how the
    local ones are expanding their selection of international goods all the time, it's not out
    of the question.

    Ariane

  18. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    Cherry wrote:
    > Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite. Ergo Vegemite is the "very, very
    > cheap imitation of what some think Marmite tastes like". Now check the history sir.
    >
    > http://www.marmite.com/
    >
    > http://www.vegemite.com.au

    Ergo nothing. Because Vegemite was developed afterwards, does not make it a 'cheaper version'. A
    superior version, i'd say, improving on the crappy original.

    How come the Marmite supporters all toppost ?

  19. Cherry

    Cherry Guest

    Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people! I merely copied what Bigbazza said about Marmite
    or have you conveniently forgotten his post, already? Whether one is superior to the other is
    irrelevant because at the end of the day which you prefer depends on what you have been brought up
    with. Certainly nothing to get uptight about madam.

    Cherry

    berlin.de...