Vegemite

Cherry wrote:
> Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people!

huh ?

> I merely copied what Bigbazza said about Marmite or have you conveniently forgotten his post,
> already?

Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority. I let you know that the two do
not necessarily go hand in hand.

> Whether one is superior to the other is irrelevant because at the end of the day which you prefer
> depends on what you have been brought up with.

or prefer. As I said.

> Certainly nothing to get uptight about madam.

The only person uptight is you, my topposting madam ;)

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, lea b of Sporadicus
Dingleberry said:

>How come the Marmite supporters all toppost ?

I wasn't brought up with neither Marmite nor Vegemite, but bought some Marmite last year. I tried it
*thinly* spead a in sandwich and

I loved it! I still do, and I don't top-post ;0)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-
bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "I've noticed that most dogs aren't very polite when it comes to sharing ice

As others have said before, vegemite is a delicious spread on hot buttered toast. However, what my
fellow Aussies have said, is grounds for expulsion from this wide brown land. We down here, love
telling American tourists that it is to be spread like peanut butter, and watch as they attempt to
eat a slice of bread with about an equal amount of vegemite - the result is quite humorous. Lets
just say that some colleagues from the US came out for a businees trip - one of them listened to me,
and now swears she will kill me. The other watched her, and then put a very small amount on his
toast. He now asks for us to send him vegemite to Florida!!!

Anyway, back onto serious topics, vegemite is also a very good way to add flavour when cooking. It
can be added to marinades for red meats (especially beef), bolognaise sauce etc... I don't have any
recipes handy at the moment, so I can't post them - but it basically adds body, and a touch of salt.
Really nice additive.

I think you should read my original post again. All I did was give two
links for the two products regarding their history. At no time have I
mentioned/implied superiority/inferiority of either product. Your are the
one that's done that:

>Because Vegemite was developed afterwards, does not make it a 'cheaper version'. A superior
>version, i'd say, improving on the crappy original.

<snip>

>Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority. I let you know that the two
>do not necessarily go hand in hand.

"YOU will LET ME KNOW that the two do not necessarily go hand in hand."

Who the hell are you????

Whether one topposts or not is neither here nor there, so why make such an issue of it?

Apart from which, it really doesn't take much to get you going does it? I like you, your fun!

Cherry

"lea b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Cherry wrote:
> > Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people!
>
> huh ?
>
> > I merely copied what Bigbazza said about Marmite or have you conveniently forgotten his post,
> > already?
>
> Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority. I let you know that the two
> do not necessarily go hand in hand.
>
> > Whether one is superior to the other is irrelevant because at the end of the day which you
> > prefer depends on what you have been brought up with.
>
> or prefer. As I said.
>
> > Certainly nothing to get uptight about madam.
>
> The only person uptight is you, my topposting madam ;)

"lea b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> THEMOM1 wrote:
> > I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
>
> It's a superior version of Marmite. Ever compared the two ? Oh, and Promite sucks pretty bad too.

I have all three open right now and agree completely with you. Vegemite is highly complex, savory
and varied; the Marmite would do in a pinch but is dull by comparison; the Promite seems weirdly
beefy and sweet, almost an attempt to make a kiddie version of Vegemite for the youngsters. Gak!

pavane

>excess yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it) has to go somewhere and in Oz this is
>what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B group vitamins.

Sort of a vegan's penance, then?

"Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.

I first heard of this stuff in the Men at Work song "Land Down Under". I'd often wondered what it
was until I had the opportunity to sail on a ship with a British crew. The first mate had an
obsession with the stuff. Apparently, it's reduced autolyzed yeast extract (centrifuged dead yeast
cells) with vegetable flavorings added. (Incidentally, autolyzed yeast extract is sometimes used in
brewing in order to revive a failed yeast reaction. Seems the little buggers can be coaxed into
cannibalism). He enjoyed it on toast and crackers, but the odor violently repelled me. I suppose
it's an acquired taste.

Buckler

Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous discussion on Vegemite was to
> spread it on toast and top with a poached egg.

Try vegemite on your toast-sticks for boiled eggs. Dunk the toaststicks into the runny yolk and get
the vegemitey-eggy-toasty taste. Yummo!

Julie.

In article <HG_Sb.3435$1O.342@fed1read05>, rbinca <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
> looking for it.

Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some parts of the US.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

"Miche" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <HG_Sb.3435$1O.342@fed1read05>, rbinca <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the US not that I was really
> > looking for it.
>
> Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some parts of the US.
>
> Miche

Yes indeed. It is available here in Sandy Eggo. My supermarket carries it.

Charlie

il Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:22:47 GMT, "telmgren" ha scritto:

> "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Vegemite is the work of the devil. Yuck Yuck Yuck! ;o)

Hush your mouth! It takes a cultured palate to understand its nuances. :-þ
--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

: wrote:
:
: > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it
here in the
: > US not that I was really looking for it.
:
: Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some
parts of
: the US.
:
: Miche
:
=========

It's available in the Detroit Metro area... at Zingerman's to be exact! I was there this weekend
(nananananananaaaaaaannnnaaaaaa!! LOL). In fact, they had Vegemite AND Marmite. I was going to
pick up a jar of both but the place was crowded and the 4 y/o was getting curious... Next time
I'll get 'em.

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply