Vegetable Broth (for any soup)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mabry, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Mabry

    Mabry Guest

    After preparing homemade "V-11", I was left with an enormous amount of
    pulp from the salad vegetables I had juiced. As an experiment, I
    added water and _barely_ simmered the mixture for 24 hours, which
    permitted it to caramelize. I placed the pulp in a sieve and let it
    drain for several hours with a weighted lid on top. At the end of
    this time and without any seasoning, I had the most beautifully
    flavored vegetable broth I have ever tasted - an incredible
    base/backdrop for any soup

    For the record, to obtain approximately 3 quarts of vegetable juice
    the following amounts were used: 12 Roma tomatoes, 2 small(er) bunches
    carrots, 2 medium beets, top 2/3 bunch celery, 1-1/2 cucumbers, 1/2
    bunch radishes, 1 bunch scallions (or 1 leek), 1/2 lg. bunch curly
    parsley, 1/3 head cabbage, 1-1/2 bell peppers, 1 bunch spinach, juice
    1 lemon. Season according to personal taste with Worcestershire
    sauce, salt, etc. If the tomatoes of the season are particularly
    lacking in flavor, add 1/2 small can tomato paste. To maintain
    freshness add 2 tsp. ascorbic acid powder (Vit. C).

    Mabry
    C=;-{}

    Tags:

  2. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Mabry wrote:

    Please don't post HTML. This should be a setting on your newsreader.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  3. Mabry

    Mabry Guest

    > Please don't post HTML. This should be a setting on your newsreader.
    >

    > Brian

    Apologies to one & all. Been a very long time, and machine crashed
    with need to reset everything. This fell through the cracks.

    Mabry
    C=;- { }

  4. Default User

    Mabry wrote:

    > > Please don't post HTML. This should be a setting on your newsreader.

    > Apologies to one & all.

    Thanks.

    > Been a very long time, and machine crashed
    > with need to reset everything. This fell through the cracks.

    Looks good now.

    Brian
    won't shut up.