Vegetable Rice with dry fruits

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Tags:


  2. Wait...

    You add turmeric, *and* yellow food coloring?

    What's wrong with saffron?

    --Blair
     
  3. [email protected] wrote in news:1136744518.426409.146480
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I made this in the morning and its yummy!
    >
    > http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=191
    >
    > PS: the marzipan in the veggie mixture gives it a nice thick body and
    > adds sweetness
    >
    > Ronnie
    >


    I regularly add dried cherries, raisins, or other dried fruits along with
    nuts in my rice. Leftover rice fried in the morning with a little egg and
    sesame oil makes an excellent breakfast.

    --
    ---
    Charles Quinn

    "Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia
     
  4. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
    >
    > Wait...
    >
    > You add turmeric, *and* yellow food coloring?
    >
    > What's wrong with saffron?
    >
    > --Blair


    Saffron costs much more. Just leave out the yellow colouring.
     
  5. Arri London wrote:

    > Saffron costs much more. Just leave out the yellow colouring.


    It's worth it. And you don't need that much. 10-25c worth.

    But maybe it reacts with the fruit sugars...

    I'm going to have to try it.

    --Blair
     
  6. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
    >
    > Arri London wrote:
    >
    > > Saffron costs much more. Just leave out the yellow colouring.

    >
    > It's worth it. And you don't need that much. 10-25c worth.
    >
    > But maybe it reacts with the fruit sugars...
    >
    > I'm going to have to try it.
    >
    > --Blair


    Probably saffron just isn't part of the recipe anyway. Turmeric is much
    used in certain Indian dishes. Saffron has a strong taste which might
    not be welcome in this particular dish.

    You could use annato as well, even though that may not be traditional
    either.
     
  7. this is a simple recipe, you can use saffron instead but it will have a
    strong flavor. if using saffron, mix it in hot milk and keep for 10
    minutes and then add saffron. you are correct, in indian cooking, we
    use a lot of turmeric.

    i apoligize for the delay, i was caught under weather (i still am)

    Ronnie
     
Loading...