vegetarian diet

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:44:19 -0500, Delenn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hugh Beyer wrote:
>
>> Actually, on mature consideration, I think D-thingy has you outclassed.
>> Responding to "Arun from India" with a post suggesting that he's probably
>> just another fashion-obsessed fastidious eater is way crasser and culturally
>> insensitive than anything you came up with.

>Yeah, because we're all so culturally sensitive here about people's
>excuses for not taking care of their bodies.
>
>My best friend, the picky vegan, has been sick with "the flu" for a
>couple of weeks. (It's really a cold.) She's on antibiotics for it
>now. (Yes, she's on antibiotics for a cold. No, I don't like her
>doctor.) She's run down and can't get better and she's living on baked
>potatoes "because she wants to get lots of vitamin C." (And when she's
>not ill she lives on baked potatoes because they're convenient or
>because Dr. MacDougall uses them in a lot of recipes or because that's
>what she has in the house.) She's clearly, obviously malnourished while
>surrounded by food she won't choose to eat.

And she's SO representative of the majority of vegetarians.

>I can't tell unpleasant truths to the people I know in real life

which explains why the children are so ill-behaved

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:07:34 -0500, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:44:19 -0500, Delenn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>Eating meat is a good way to get protein. It's true. If you can figure
>>out a way ethically to do it then you should do it because it's a good
>>way to fuel your body.

>oh, i don't think it's such a great way. i gave meat up last year
>just because eating all those growth hormones and anti-biotics
>didn't seem like a good idea. i get loads of protein via whey, eggs,
>cheese, bread, tofu, milk etc... there's no need for meat.
>plus i get plenty of fibre every day.

The growth hormones somehow affect ONLY the meat and have
no effect whatsoever on the eggs or milk products?

>in defense, all i want to add is that like anything else,
>the reasons are more complicated. not single
>dimensional. maybe we could say that picky
>people can become vegetarians, not vegetarians
>were all picky people.
>...thehick

Where I grew up, we called the Jif eaters (because they were
choosy mothers)

Proton Soup <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:07:34 -0500, frank-in-toronto
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:44:19 -0500, Delenn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>>Eating meat is a good way to get protein. It's true. If you can figure
>>>out a way ethically to do it then you should do it because it's a good
>>>way to fuel your body.

>>oh, i don't think it's such a great way. i gave meat up last year
>>just because eating all those growth hormones and anti-biotics
>>didn't seem like a good idea. i get loads of protein via whey, eggs,
>>cheese, bread, tofu, milk etc... there's no need for meat.
>>plus i get plenty of fibre every day.

> I guess you know they load the dairy cows up with hormones and
> antibiotics, too. Plus, they use the stomach to make the cheese.
>
> Don't know about the chickens. Chickens are kind of a disposable
> item, so maybe they don't worry so much about giving them anitbiotics.

Chickens are awful. Full of antibiotics because that's the only way to keep
them alive given the way they are raised.

Hugh

--
Run like hell and let the clowns deal with the bull.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:21:27 -0800, Lucas Buck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:07:34 -0500, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:44:19 -0500, Delenn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>>Eating meat is a good way to get protein. It's true. If you can figure
>>>out a way ethically to do it then you should do it because it's a good
>>>way to fuel your body.

>>oh, i don't think it's such a great way. i gave meat up last year
>>just because eating all those growth hormones and anti-biotics
>>didn't seem like a good idea. i get loads of protein via whey, eggs,
>>cheese, bread, tofu, milk etc... there's no need for meat.
>>plus i get plenty of fibre every day.

>The growth hormones somehow affect ONLY the meat and have
>no effect whatsoever on the eggs or milk products?

i believe most of the bad stuff is held in the fat (like the yolk).
i eat the white's mostly and drink skim milk.

and your argument is as silly as it looks. nothing is perfect.
i'm trying to improve my health. you're trying to be funny.
....thehick

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:53:03 -0500, frank-in-toronto
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:21:27 -0800, Lucas Buck
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:07:34 -0500, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:44:19 -0500, Delenn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>oh, i don't think it's such a great way. i gave meat up last year
>>>just because eating all those growth hormones and anti-biotics
>>>didn't seem like a good idea. i get loads of protein via whey, eggs,
>>>cheese, bread, tofu, milk etc... there's no need for meat.
>>>plus i get plenty of fibre every day.

>>The growth hormones somehow affect ONLY the meat and have
>>no effect whatsoever on the eggs or milk products?

>i believe most of the bad stuff is held in the fat (like the yolk).
>i eat the white's mostly and drink skim milk.

Are you sure? I thought most of the vitamins are in the yolk?

>and your argument is as silly as it looks. nothing is perfect.
>i'm trying to improve my health. you're trying to be funny.
>...thehick

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

"Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote
> frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Lucas Buck<[email protected]> wrote:
>>>The growth hormones somehow affect ONLY the meat and have
>>>no effect whatsoever on the eggs or milk products?

>>i believe most of the bad stuff is held in the fat (like the yolk).
>>i eat the white's mostly and drink skim milk.

> Are you sure? I thought most of the vitamins are in the yolk?

And the minerals, and half the total protein, and the lecithin, and the
precursor to all the body's steroid hormones.

David

David Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote
> > frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>i believe most of the bad stuff is held in the fat (like the yolk).
> >>i eat the white's mostly and drink skim milk.

> > Are you sure? I thought most of the vitamins are in the yolk?

> And the minerals, and half the total protein, and the lecithin, and the
> precursor to all the body's steroid hormones.

And it's the part that tastes good.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:17:28 GMT, [email protected] (The Queen of
Cans and Jars) wrote:

>David Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Are you sure? I thought most of the vitamins are in the yolk?

>> And the minerals, and half the total protein, and the lecithin, and the
>> precursor to all the body's steroid hormones.

>And it's the part that tastes good.

LOL, funny how that works out. :)

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1grf3zq.1ph3h6g13tbt5hN%[email protected]...
> David Cohen <[email protected]> wrote:

good

eggs,

> > > Are you sure? I thought most of the vitamins are in the yolk?

> > And the minerals, and half the total protein, and the lecithin, and the
> > precursor to all the body's steroid hormones.

> And it's the part that tastes good.

And you can't make eggnog without them.