Veggie burger recipe anyone? Also cauliflower recipes?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kajikit, May 7, 2004.

  1. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    cauliflower cheese...
    --
    ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

    Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3
    small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  2. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    > cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    > cauliflower cheese...

    Followers of the popular low carb diets are using pureed
    cauliflower to make a substitute for mashed potatoes. I'm
    never one to prepare one type of food so that it taste like
    something else, so I won't go there.

    I have been planning on experimenting with veggie burgers --
    ones with the basic flavor of vegetables and grains, not a
    bogus imitation of meat. So far I have not begun but here
    are some starting points:

    The following recipe came from somewhere on the internet but
    I don't know the origin. It sounds appealing.

    Veggie Burgers with Walnuts

    2 oz bulgur wheat
    1/4 cup canola oil 1 1/4 cups finely chopped mushrooms 1
    1/2 cups finely chopped carrots 2 cups finely chopped
    onions 2 Tbls minced garlic
    2/4 cup walnuts
    3/2 cup sunflower seeds
    4/2 cup sesame seeds
    5/2 cup wheat germ
    6/3 cup chopped parsley 2 Tbls chopped dill 3 Tbls tamari 3
    Tbls tahini (sesame seed paste) 1 1/4 cups cooked
    chickpeas (if using canned garbanzo beans, make sure
    they're well-drained) 3 Tbls lemon juice
    7/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    8/2 tsp. salt
    9/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    10/4 tsp. ground cumin oil for rubbing burgers and grill

    Put bulgur in a bowl of hot water, soak for 10 minutes or
    until tender, drain well. Heat oil in a skilled, sauté
    mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic for 15 min. Grind walnuts
    and sunflower seeds, put into a bowl, add sesame seeds,
    bulgur, and wheat germ. Mix sautéed vegetables with parsley,
    dill, tahini, chickpeas, tamari, lemon juice, cayenne, salt,
    pepper, and cumin until blended (small lumps ok). Add to the
    sesame-bulgur mixture, mix well. A potato masher is useful
    at this stage.

    Chill thoroughly to firm the mixture (at least 1 hour in the
    freezer, more in the refrigerator).

    Shape into patties, pat with oil, cook 4 minutes on each
    side, flip carefully with a Wide spatula to keep from
    falling apart. Serve on toasted rolls with slices of tomato,
    sprouts, cucumber, yogurt.

    Serves 8 to 10, depending upon size of patties/rolls.
    -----------
    Burger King has a way af ruining any food they prepare. I
    tried their veggie burger and I think it would be a real
    winner if it were properly prepared instead of being cooked
    and then left to set around and later reheated a few times
    over before being served up on a soggy bun and sold. But
    that is Burger King's way. Yuuuhk!

    Ingredient Listing for BK Veggie Burger patty: Water,
    mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked brown rice, textured
    wheat protein, rolled oats, vital wheat gluten, frozen
    onions, corn oil, frozen carrots, potato starch, frozen
    green peppers, frozen red peppers, 2% or less of onion
    powder, corn starch, black olives, methyl cellulose,
    salt, modified tapioca starch, rice flour, yeast extract,
    oat fiber, sugar, potato dextrin, konjac flour, garlic
    powder, black pepper, maltodextrin, natural flavors from
    non-meat sources, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, sodium
    acid pyrophosphate, hydrolyzed corn gluten, malt extract,
    sage, grill flavor, basil, raisin juice concentrate,
    oregano, jalapeno pepper powder, sesame oil, modified
    corn starch, corn syrup solids, natural smoke flavoring,
    celery oleoresin, wine, citric acid, caramel color, and
    xanthan gum.

  3. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Google "black bean cakes". Basically you cook black beans,
    and treat them like hamburger for meat loaf - put them in
    the processor with onions, celery, eggs, breadcrumbs,
    spices, etc., form the result into patties, and pan fry or
    broil, grill, or roast (broiling/grilling may be require
    some adjustments to the mixture to keep the patties
    together).

    You could actually use any kind of beans, or a mixture.

    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    > cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    > cauliflower cheese...
    > --
    > ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...
    >
    > Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3
    > small giftbooks),
    52 decos & more!

    > Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    > Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:
    > Ample Aussies Mailing List:

  4. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Kajikit wrote:

    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    > cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    > cauliflower cheese...
    /

    narrow it down, please. Non-bean vs. bean, non-soy vs. okay
    on the soy, nut cutlet type, egg or cheese okay, etc. I love
    cauli pickled, e.g.:
    http://www.gardenguides.com/recipes/piccauli.htm blacksalt

  5. Kajikit wrote:
    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    > cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    > cauliflower cheese.

    I like the comment in the old Laurel's Kitchen which says
    that if think of animals as your friends and you're really
    sincere about not wanting to eat your friend, then you don't
    want to eat something that looks and tastes just like him
    either. That doesn't answer your question, but I thought it
    was appropriate here.

    Cauliflower lends itself wonderfully to being marinated in
    an oil and vinegar type dressing and served a la greque
    (which basically means marinated in an oil and vinegar
    dressing). Put some mustard and dried herbs in it. Vinegar
    turns green vegetables a nasty grey color, but it doesn't
    hurt cauliflower at all. Parboil the cauliflower florets
    first by bringing water to a rolling boil, adding the
    cauliflower, immediately taking off the heat and timing
    exactly 5 minutes before draining off the water. This will
    still leave a fair amount of crunch. Cool by pouring ice
    water on top, waiting a few minutes, then draining that
    water off too. Now add your marinade. It lasts several days
    this way. I munch on the cauliflower "pickles" as snacks.
    This goes well with a cube of feta cheese.

    --Lia

  6. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Kajikit wrote:
    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    > cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    > cauliflower cheese...

    I wish I could find the recipe I had for - they weren't
    burgers but were meatballs made from spinach... I'm
    going to hunt it down for you; you might be able to
    adapt it to burgers.

    As for cauliflower, there was a discussion about that
    recently (thread started by Puester) and I added a soup
    recipe. Personally, I just love the stuff steamed or
    stir-fried.

    Jill

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Kajikit wrote:
    > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > got one.

    Here's the recipe I thought of, by Petra Holzapfel and given
    to me by Carmen Bartels. Not burgers but you may be able to
    adapt it. Doesn't pretend to be meat in any way!

    Spinach Meatballs

    1 lb. cooked spinach leaves 7 oz. ricotta cheese 2 eggs salt
    & pepper nutmeg to taste 1 c. dried breadcrumbs 2 oz. butter
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan water or vegetable stock

    Blend together eggs, ricotta, spinach, spices. Stir in
    breadcrumbs. Form into balls about the size of English
    Walnuts. Boil in salted water or stock. Strain and plate.
    Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with Parm.

    Now, for your specific quest I'd see about forming these
    into patties and browning in some oil. Or I suppose you
    could always simmer veggie burgers :D

    Jill

  8. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Sam D. had something important to tell us on Fri, 7 May 2004 22:49:56
    -0700:

    >Followers of the popular low carb diets are using pureed
    >cauliflower to make a substitute for mashed potatoes. I'm
    >never one to prepare one type of food so that it taste like
    >something else, so I won't go there.

    That sounds obscene to me... I'm trying to lower my carb
    count but I don't think I'm THAT desperate...

    I cut the fresh cauliflower into florets and layered it in a
    greased baking dish with sliced carrot, zucchini, and some
    small pumpkin cubes, and sprinkled it generously with a
    cajun spice mix. Then I beat up six eggs and a cup of milk,
    and poured them over, finishing it with a pile of grated
    cheese and baked it for an hour. I haven't eaten any yet
    (it's for lunch this week) but it smells DELICIOUS!

    >I have been planning on experimenting with veggie burgers
    >-- ones with the basic flavor of vegetables and grains, not
    >a bogus imitation of meat. So far I have not begun but here
    >are some starting points:

    I hate 'fake' meat. I want a recipe that uses fresh
    vegetables and that TASTES like them once it's done. The
    local deli had some fresh vegie burgers that said they
    didn't have MSG or anything artificial in them but they cost
    $3 each! I'm sure I can make them cheaper than that... would
    it work to just make 'fish cakes' only with diced up fresh
    vegies in them instead of fish?
    --
    ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

    Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3
    small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  9. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Julia Altshuler had something important to tell us on Sat,
    23:54:36 GMT:

    >Kajikit wrote:
    >> I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    >> got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    >> cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    >> cauliflower cheese.
    >

    >I like the comment in the old Laurel's Kitchen which says
    >that if think of animals as your friends and you're really
    >sincere about not wanting to eat your friend, then you
    >don't want to eat something that looks and tastes just like
    >him either. That doesn't answer your question, but I
    >thought it was appropriate here.

    I think I need to be more specific. I don't want 'fake
    meat'! I'm not a vegetarian. I want some sort of vegetable
    patties or vegetable cakes that look and taste like
    vegetables. I've bought some from the health food shop and
    they were delicious but they were too expensive (and had too
    much salt in them) so I have to learn to make my own if I
    want to eat them again... I'd prefer for them NOT to have
    lentils, beans or nuts in them and I don't have a clue how
    to cook tofu. Eggs, cheese and dairy products are fine.

    So, can anyone help me out?

    --
    ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

    Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3
    small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  10. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    kalanamak had something important to tell us on Sat,
    14:43:56 -0700:

    >Kajikit wrote:
    >>
    >> I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    >> got one. I'm also looking for good recipes to use
    >> cauliflower. The only thing I know how to do with it is
    >> cauliflower cheese...
    >/
    >
    >narrow it down, please. Non-bean vs. bean, non-soy vs. okay
    >on the soy, nut cutlet type, egg or cheese okay, etc.

    I didn't know there were so many different kinds of
    variation... dairy is fine in moderation, eggs are fine.
    I'd prefer NOT to have tofu, nuts or lentils in the
    recipe... and I do not want 'fake meat'. I want it to look
    and taste like vegetables. I guess what I really want is a
    kind of vegetable patty. The ones I bought in the
    supermarket were called 'garden burgers' and they were made
    of normal vegetables with other arcane ingredients to make
    them stick together... I need a low-salt version that I can
    make at home.

    --
    ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

    Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3
    small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  11. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Kajikit wrote:
    > > I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    > > got one.
    > (snipped tasty recipe)Jill

    Thanks Jill, just in time: my swiss chard in the garden is
    growing out of control. I'll sub the chard for the spinach.
    I like the browning in a smidgen of oil (butter?)- but not
    olive I think. Edrena

  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Kajikit wrote:

    > Sam D. had something important to tell us on Fri, 7 May
    > 2004 22:49:56 -0700:
    >
    >>Followers of the popular low carb diets are using pureed
    >>cauliflower to make a substitute for mashed potatoes. I'm
    >>never one to prepare one type of food so that it taste
    >>like something else, so I won't go there.
    >>
    > That sounds obscene to me... I'm trying to lower my carb
    > count but I don't think I'm THAT desperate...

    How silly these two oh-so-aristocratic comments are.

    Pureed cauliflower is pureed cauliflower, not ersatz mashed
    potatoes. It happens to be the same color and somewhat
    similar in texture to mashed potatoes. The flavor is
    surprisingly mild. It's reminiscent of mashed potatoes, but
    no one would be fooled. Low carbers call the dish
    "fauxtatoes." Pureed turnip, pureed broccoli, pureed
    asparagus... all good foods.

    No desperation needed to try a new way to prepare familiar
    foods. The fact is that pureed cauliflower is tasty, has a
    good mouthfeel and provides a lightly flavored stage for
    seasonings and additions.

    I take a whole head, cut it into smaller pieces, put it into
    a mike-safe container and cover with plastic wrap. Nuke, no
    water or other liquid added or necessary, until very tender
    and process with wand blender. Butter, salt and pepper is
    all it needs. Roasted garlic, red pepper puree, a dab of
    anchovy paste, an egg... mix and match additions for
    different textures and flavors.

    The rule is, "you can't say 'yuck' until after you
    taste it."

    Pastorio

    > I cut the fresh cauliflower into florets and layered it in
    > a greased baking dish with sliced carrot, zucchini, and
    > some small pumpkin cubes, and sprinkled it generously with
    > a cajun spice mix. Then I beat up six eggs and a cup of
    > milk, and poured them over, finishing it with a pile of
    > grated cheese and baked it for an hour. I haven't eaten
    > any yet (it's for lunch this week) but it smells
    > DELICIOUS!
    >

    >>I have been planning on experimenting with veggie burgers
    >>-- ones with the basic flavor of vegetables and grains,
    >>not a bogus imitation of meat. So far I have not begun but
    >>here are some starting points:
    >>

    > I hate 'fake' meat. I want a recipe that uses fresh
    > vegetables and that TASTES like them once it's done. The
    > local deli had some fresh vegie burgers that said they
    > didn't have MSG or anything artificial in them but they
    > cost $3 each! I'm sure I can make them cheaper than
    > that... would it work to just make 'fish cakes' only with
    > diced up fresh vegies in them instead of fish?

  13. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    The Joneses wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Kajikit wrote:
    >>> I need a recipe for homemade veggie burgers if anyone's
    >>> got one.
    >> (snipped tasty recipe)Jill
    >
    > Thanks Jill, just in time: my swiss chard in the garden is
    > growing out of control. I'll sub the chard for the
    > spinach. I like the browning in a smidgen of oil (butter?)-
    > but not olive I think. Edrena

    No, I think olive oil would be too strongly flavoured for
    this, Edrena. Canola, vegetable, corn or... butter :) Please
    let me know how it turns out as I have only had them as the
    "meatballs".

    Jill

  14. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Kajikit wrote:

    I guess what I really want is a
    > kind of vegetable patty. The ones I bought in the
    > supermarket were called 'garden burgers' and they were
    > made of normal vegetables with other arcane ingredients to
    > make them stick together... I need a low-salt version that
    > I can make at home.

    From Kirchner's Vegetarian Burgers

    Green Burgers
    1/2 lb swiss chard (or mustard, kale, collard or spinach)
    coarsely sredded, steamed until tender (depends on green)
    Heat 1 T dark sesame oil and saute 4 lr. garlic cloved
    minced and 1 T minced ginger root. Add 1/4 lb sliced
    mushrooms and 1/4 teas sabal oelek stir and cook until
    mushrooms soften. Add2 T toasted and crushed sesame seed
    and stir well

    Place the above (greens and sauteed stuff) and two egg
    whites in a food processor and pulse twice. Add one cup of
    soaked, squeezed bulgar (I use the WW kind). Pulse again.
    Place in a bowl and add 6 minced oil-soaked sun-dried toms,
    stir. Gently stir in 1+ cup of bread crumbs until it will
    hold a pattie. Salt and pepper to taste can be added prior
    to bread crumbs. Grill or broil. If you leave out the egg,
    broil them. If you grill them, place them gently and only
    turn when first side is well cooked. I put plenty of sweet
    onion slices out for these. I grill them alittle, first.
    HTH blacksalt

  15. B . Server

    B . Server Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 17:28:33 +1000, Kajikit <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sam D. had something important to tell us on Fri, 7 May
    >2004 22:49:56 -0700:
    >
    >>Followers of the popular low carb diets are using pureed
    >>cauliflower to make a substitute for mashed potatoes. I'm
    >>never one to prepare one type of food so that it taste
    >>like something else, so I won't go there.
    >>
    >That sounds obscene to me... I'm trying to lower my carb
    >count but I don't think I'm THAT desperate...

    [...]

    No need to dive off into drama. If it is the recipe I am
    thinking of, the cauliflower is steamed, pureed, mixed with
    herbs and goat cheese and is quite a tasty side dish in its
    own right, whether you choose to think of it as potatoes or
    anything else.

    Generally, I am not a fan of faux food; defined in my
    vocabulary as something masquerading as something else.
    However, there are a number of things that can be grilled
    and otherwise treated like a "hamburger" with good results.
    Grilled marinaded Portobello mushrooms come to mind.

  16. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "B.Server" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 08 May 2004 17:28:33 +1000, Kajikit
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Sam D. had something important to tell us on Fri, 7 May
    > >2004 22:49:56 -0700:
    > >
    > >>Followers of the popular low carb diets are using pureed
    > >>cauliflower to
    make
    > >>a substitute for mashed potatoes. I'm never one to
    > >>prepare one type of
    food
    > >>so that it taste like something else, so I won't go
    > >>there.
    > >>
    > >That sounds obscene to me... I'm trying to lower my carb
    > >count but I don't think I'm THAT desperate...
    > >
    > [...]
    >
    > No need to dive off into drama. If it is the recipe I am
    > thinking of, the cauliflower is steamed, pureed, mixed
    > with herbs and goat cheese and is quite a tasty side dish
    > in its own right, whether you choose to think of it as
    > potatoes or anything else.

    I agree - there's a lot you can do with cauliflower. Once
    pureed you can mix it with all sorts of things and the
    results can be great in their own right regardless of their
    low carb status. My favorite, for one medium head, is to
    puree (cooked of course!) it with 1 egg, 2 TB butter, 1/4c
    heavy cream, S&P, and 1/2c or so of grated swiss-style
    cheese. Into a casserole dish, more cheese on top, bake at
    350 until browned.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  17. N. Thornton

    N. Thornton Guest

    Kajikit how about helping yourself by posting the ingredient
    listing here. Then we can
    a) see what kind of burger you want
    b) suggest a recipe based on the one you already like.

    Regards, NT

  18. N. Thornton

    N. Thornton Guest

    There are endless variations of vegeburgers.

    The bulk can be made from: beans sweetcorn tvp potato nuts
    bread bulgur lentils or a mixture of.

    flavours added can be: gravies, of many kinds hot n spicy
    tomato with or without herbs mushroom or that seaweed that
    tastes like fish garlic greens

    binding agent can be: egg potato flour soya

    and additions to make it all more interesting can be:
    sweetcorn peppers chopped onions other vegetables
    mustard tofu

    Then they can be: battered or not deep fried or
    shallow fried

    Someone could write a book with all the recipes. Vegeburgers
    are very cheap btw.

    Regards, NT