Veggie Juice and lowered HR?

FSR_FTC

Aug 3, 2005
I started taking a vegetable juice coctail to help cleanse my liver (don't ask).

My first hard training session was about 5 days after starting the regime. I immediately noticed my HR was 5-7 beats lower than it normally would be at my usual pace. Anyone else notice diet/specific food lowers your HR?

TIA,
Michael

FSR_FTC said:
I started taking a vegetable juice coctail to help cleanse my liver (don't ask).

My first hard training session was about 5 days after starting the regime. I immediately noticed my HR was 5-7 beats lower than it normally would be at my usual pace. Anyone else notice diet/specific food lowers your HR?

TIA,
Michael
I think that the reason for your lower HR is because your liver is under less strain as a result of your veggie juice cocktails. If the cocktails have flushed out the liver and made it work more efficiently, it can only result in better blood flow around the body, thus enabling you to work at a certain rate with a lowered HR.
I am speculating here, but it may be so.

FSR_FTC said:

TIA,
Michael

Oh you mean a bloody mary, yes I have several before a ride, it lowers everything, Im so relaxed :D Only kidding :) Never heard of that but Im interested in what kind of replys you get. I would like to lower mine, its usually up above 200 when riding hard or racing crits.

what sort of veggie juice cocktail? I drink V8 regularly and have noticed that my HR is lower at harder efforts lately. Don't know if that's the training or what.

Although V8 has a ton of sodium...

jeff828 said:
Oh you mean a bloody mary, yes I have several before a ride, it lowers everything, Im so relaxed :D Only kidding :) Never heard of that but Im interested in what kind of replys you get. I would like to lower mine, its usually up above 200 when riding hard or racing crits.
Your heart rate range (which is relative to your maximal pulse) is individual to you; there is no benefit in having a lower range of heart rate.

FSR_FTC said:

TIA,
Michael
Much more likely that your increase in intesnity stimulated an increase in your total blood volume; which results in a decrease in heart rate for the same pace.
In general, however, heart rate is not a sensitive indicator of fitness. Only going from an untrained/very low trained state (e.g.: after a long end of season brake from training) to a trained state (i.e.: back on a regular training schedule) will you see a meaningful change in pulse at a given power output...not to mention you need to account for all the variables that affect pulse from day to day.