Vehicle ploughs into pack of riders (OT - in Australia)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Shugg, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    Tags:

  2. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    "Lionel Scales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While not known for my sharp temper, I think I'd have been just a tad more miffed than they
    > appeared to be.

    They did seem quite calm. Maybe the driver actually showed some remorse? nah... A few recurring
    themes in this article though:

    > four-wheel-drive vehicle after night shift he didn't see us a protective bike corridor ends
    > abruptly at the point where the group were
    hit

    Ride safe all

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Johnny Klunk wrote:
    > Maybe the driver actually showed some remorse? nah...

    To requote the article's quoting of the wife of one of the victims: "I went up to him and said 'I'm
    not going to get up you. We all make mistakes'."

    "He'd tried to call his family, but couldn't get anyone. He was alone."

    "He kept telling me that he didn't see us and didn't know he had hit us until he looked in the rear
    vision mirror and saw us everywhere. He kept saying: 'I'm always so careful'."

    Sounds like remorse to me, although of course it still doesn't excuse the negligence.

    Thomas Paine

  4. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > "He'd tried to call his family, but couldn't get anyone. He was alone."
    >
    > "He kept telling me that he didn't see us and didn't know he had hit us until he looked in the
    > rear vision mirror and saw us everywhere. He kept saying: 'I'm always so careful'."
    >
    > Sounds like remorse to me, although of course it still doesn't excuse the negligence.

    You're right there. I'm an aussie myself. They don't have the same "anti-cycle" mentality you see
    alot here. A scary number of people won't drive anything smaller than a 5 litre v8, but they'll
    mostly look out for cyclists and give them a little respect. I don't get the "cyclists don't pay....
    cycle this, cycle that" type thing here.

    Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
    Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....

  5. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    Should send them a card signed by all in URC.
    > They wouldn't be expecting that....

    Nice idea.

    St George Hospital Gray St Kogarah NSW 2217 Australia

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:56:57 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

    >Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
    >Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....

    Quite a logistical exercise. Are you willing to undertake it, Johnny?

    --
    Dave...

  7. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    Errr.... yeah. Why not. If a few people are prepared to write a message - handwritten & scanned
    preferably. Or type-written. I'll happily collate, print, put inside a card and send off. Anyone
    that really wants to is welcome to snail-mail me the original hand-written message and I'll post
    that off. Let me know and I'll start a new thread for support.

    It's entirely inappropriate to be smug on this thread - however you don't see cagers supporting each
    other this way.

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:56:57 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    > <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
    > >Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....
    >
    > Quite a logistical exercise. Are you willing to undertake it, Johnny?
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:52:08 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

    >If a few people are prepared to write a message - handwritten & scanned preferably. Or
    >type-written.

    That's a really nice offer. Touching.

    Guy
    ===