Vehicle ploughs into pack of riders (OT - in Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Lionel Scales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While not known for my sharp temper, I think I'd have been just a tad more miffed than they
> appeared to be.
>

They did seem quite calm. Maybe the driver actually showed some remorse? nah... A few recurring
themes in this article though:

> four-wheel-drive vehicle after night shift he didn't see us a protective bike corridor ends
> abruptly at the point where the group were
hit

Ride safe all

Johnny Klunk wrote:
> Maybe the driver actually showed some remorse? nah...

To requote the article's quoting of the wife of one of the victims: "I went up to him and said 'I'm
not going to get up you. We all make mistakes'."

"He'd tried to call his family, but couldn't get anyone. He was alone."

"He kept telling me that he didn't see us and didn't know he had hit us until he looked in the rear
vision mirror and saw us everywhere. He kept saying: 'I'm always so careful'."

Sounds like remorse to me, although of course it still doesn't excuse the negligence.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

> "He'd tried to call his family, but couldn't get anyone. He was alone."
>
> "He kept telling me that he didn't see us and didn't know he had hit us until he looked in the
> rear vision mirror and saw us everywhere. He kept saying: 'I'm always so careful'."
>
> Sounds like remorse to me, although of course it still doesn't excuse the negligence.

You're right there. I'm an aussie myself. They don't have the same "anti-cycle" mentality you see
alot here. A scary number of people won't drive anything smaller than a 5 litre v8, but they'll
mostly look out for cyclists and give them a little respect. I don't get the "cyclists don't pay....
cycle this, cycle that" type thing here.

Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....

"Johnny Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Should send them a card signed by all in URC.
> They wouldn't be expecting that....

Nice idea.

St George Hospital Gray St Kogarah NSW 2217 Australia

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:56:57 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
<johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

>Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
>Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....

Quite a logistical exercise. Are you willing to undertake it, Johnny?

--
Dave...

Errr.... yeah. Why not. If a few people are prepared to write a message - handwritten & scanned
preferably. Or type-written. I'll happily collate, print, put inside a card and send off. Anyone
that really wants to is welcome to snail-mail me the original hand-written message and I'll post
that off. Let me know and I'll start a new thread for support.

It's entirely inappropriate to be smug on this thread - however you don't see cagers supporting each
other this way.

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:56:57 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
> <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:
>
> >Sounds to me like another case of the falling-asleeps-after-night-shift. Hope the victims are OK.
> >Should send them a card signed by all in URC. They wouldn't be expecting that....
>
> Quite a logistical exercise. Are you willing to undertake it, Johnny?
>
> --
> Dave...

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:52:08 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
<johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote:

>If a few people are prepared to write a message - handwritten & scanned preferably. Or
>type-written.

That's a really nice offer. Touching.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.