Velcro on Shimano Shoes

howierart

Mar 10, 2005
Ive only had my Shimano SPD shoes for a year and they are im generally good condition. However the velcro seems to be losing its binding and im constantly having to vainly try and tighten the shoes. Seems a waste to replace them for such a simple reason. Has anyone suffered similar problems or got any thoughts on maybe bringing the velcro back to life!

howierart said:
Ive only had my Shimano SPD shoes for a year and they are im generally good condition. However the velcro seems to be losing its binding and im constantly having to vainly try and tighten the shoes. Seems a waste to replace them for such a simple reason. Has anyone suffered similar problems or got any thoughts on maybe bringing the velcro back to life!
Can usually be replaced. May take a good shoe repair shop to do it, if you aren't handy with sewing machne or needle and thread.Velcro shouldn't go TU in a year tho. Maybe you got a bunch of something clogging it up?

howierart said:
I've used a stiff boar bristle hairbrush in the past to clean debris out if as Boud said, it is clogged up with fibers. Also saw this last evening in the September 2005 issue of (the usually useless) Bicycling magazine:

"Tip of the Month - Revived Velcro - I salvaged the worn Velcro on my cycling shoes, not to mention the shoes themselves, by heating both sides of the Velcro with a hairdryer (on high heat). In a few minutes, the Velcro returned to its original grippy self. - Peter Bud, NY"

Absolutely no idea if it works at all; nor do I assume any responsibility for anything that melts, chars or combusts. :p

you could replace it your self by sawing a new one on or go to a shoe repair shop! but yea depends on weather and stuff on how long it last if they get wet then usually it will lose its binding!