Velib For Glasgow?

On 25 Oct, 08:31, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> >From The Heraldhttp://www.theherald.co.uk/display.var.1784438.0.0.php?utag=33894

> I'm delighted that an article like this has been printed - I think it
> shows a gradual attitude shift towards cycle commuting.

I'm not surprised that the quoted taxi driver is negative. It always
seems to me that taxi drivers are the most aggressively ant-cyclist of
all the easily stereotyped groups of road users. I don't know what it
is but there seem to be a lot of them that have a real problem with
cyclists. I'm guessing part of it is down to more conflict situations-
they don't want to have to share bus lanes with bikes and ASLs make it
more difficult for them to jump lights, for example.

Cheers,
W.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 25 Oct, 08:31, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > >From The Herald
> > > <http://www.theherald.co.uk/display.var.1784438.0.0.php?utag=33894>

> > I'm delighted that an article like this has been printed - I think it
> > shows a gradual attitude shift towards cycle commuting.

> I'm not surprised that the quoted taxi driver is negative. It always
> seems to me that taxi drivers are the most aggressively ant-cyclist of
> all the easily stereotyped groups of road users. I don't know what it
> is but there seem to be a lot of them that have a real problem with
> cyclists.

A lot of taxi drivers seem to have a real problem with obeying the
Highway Code. Putting that aside, however, I can well understand taxi
drivers being concerned that people would borrow bicycles rather than
hiring a taxi.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I'm delighted that an article like this has been printed - I think it
>>>shows a gradual attitude shift towards cycle commuting.

>> I'm not surprised that the quoted taxi driver is negative. It always
>>seems to me that taxi drivers are the most aggressively ant-cyclist of
>>all the easily stereotyped groups of road users. I don't know what it
>>is but there seem to be a lot of them that have a real problem with
>>cyclists.

> A lot of taxi drivers seem to have a real problem with obeying the
> Highway Code. Putting that aside, however, I can well understand taxi
> drivers being concerned that people would borrow bicycles rather than
> hiring a taxi.

Nothing changes.

See (first paragraph at):

<http://www.icons.org.uk/theicons/collection/the-english-weather/features/umbrellas>

And the second paragraph at:

<http://www.bownsbespoke.com/jamessmith.htm>

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:55:05 GMT,
[email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not surprised that the quoted taxi driver is negative. It always
>> seems to me that taxi drivers are the most aggressively ant-cyclist of
>> all the easily stereotyped groups of road users. I don't know what it
>> is but there seem to be a lot of them that have a real problem with
>> cyclists.

>A lot of taxi drivers seem to have a real problem with obeying the
>Highway Code. Putting that aside, however, I can well understand taxi
>drivers being concerned that people would borrow bicycles rather than
>hiring a taxi.

When Calgary was planning its C-Train light rail transit system, there
was a very sensible suggestion that the line be extended north to the
airport, and maybe even west to the coach station. Joined up transport,
and all that. The taxi drivers went ballistic, and argued,
successfully, that it would take away their business. Incredible!
AFAIK, it still doesn't reach either extremity.

Ever since, I've been convinced that any transport scheme the taxi
drivers hate must have merit, and most probably is a Really Good Idea.

JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nothing changes.
>
> See (first paragraph at):
>
> <http://www.icons.org.uk/theicons/collection/the-english-weather/features/
> umbrellas>
>
> And the second paragraph at:
>
> <http://www.bownsbespoke.com/jamessmith.htm>

As a pedestrian, I have a strong dislike of umbrellas used on busy
streets. People should wear good hats instead, IMHO.

Cheers, Luke

-- Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in exile in Lancashire
<http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

[email protected] (Ekul Namsob) writes:

>As a pedestrian, I have a strong dislike of umbrellas used on busy
>streets. People should wear good hats instead, IMHO.

Seconded - my eyes seem to be at the same level as the pointy bits of an
umbrella held above the head of a wee Scottish lass...

Roos

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Nothing changes.
>>
>> See (first paragraph at):
>>
>> <http://www.icons.org.uk/theicons/collection/the-english-weather/features/
>> umbrellas>
>>
>> And the second paragraph at:
>>
>> <http://www.bownsbespoke.com/jamessmith.htm>

> As a pedestrian, I have a strong dislike of umbrellas used on busy
> streets. People should wear good hats instead, IMHO.
>
> Cheers, Luke
>
> -- Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in exile in Lancashire
> <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

OT:
http://www.bownsbespoke.com/jameslock.htm

nearly six hundered quid for a hat? Still, it might save your life!

In news:1i6mxia.b8tqxdrrleq1N%[email protected],
Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> As a pedestrian, I have a strong dislike of umbrellas used on busy
> streets. People should wear good hats instead, IMHO.

Twats carrying outsize umbrellas are the best reason for wearing a h+lm+t I
have yet encountered :)

--
Dave Larrington
I'm just a primitive creature of the heath, so pardon my savage

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Twats carrying outsize umbrellas are the best reason for wearing a h+lm+t I
> have yet encountered :)

I used to have a rear view mirror sticking out on one side of my helmet,
like a lop-sided antenna on a cartoon bumble-bee. I found on one trip to
Cambridge that I greatly enjoyed being able to see behind me in shops,
in the College bar, or while walking down the street, so I routinely
wore the helmet, whether or not I was accompanied by a bike. Only people
looked at me funny.

EFR
Ile de France