Velo News website

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Mar 15, 2006.

  1. I have been unable to get the VN website for the past couple of days.
    Has anyone else been having this problem?

    Thanks.

    Leland Yee

    Tags:

  2. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

  3. [email protected] writes:

    >I have been unable to get the VN website for the past couple of days.
    >Has anyone else been having this problem?

    Hold down crtl-shift and then reload the web page. This will force
    your browser to emit a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header which will
    bypass the cache in your browser, and byepass any network caches that
    your company has installed, and any caches that your company's ISP has
    installed, etc. etc. etc. ... hopefully, it will also flush and
    refresh these caches.

    it is common to have troubles loading a web page if a network cache
    accidentally stores a damaged page.

    - Don "used to work on caches" Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  4. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Donald Gillies wrote:
    > [email protected] writes:
    >
    >> I have been unable to get the VN website for the past couple of days.
    >> Has anyone else been having this problem?

    > Hold down crtl-shift and then reload the web page. This will force
    > your browser to emit a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header which will
    > bypass the cache in your browser, and byepass any network caches that
    > your company has installed, and any caches that your company's ISP has
    > installed, etc. etc. etc. ... hopefully, it will also flush and
    > refresh these caches.
    >
    > it is common to have troubles loading a web page if a network cache
    > accidentally stores a damaged page.
    >
    > - Don "used to work on caches" Gillies
    > San Diego, CA

    Neat trick. Is it browser or OS-specific?

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  5. I tried the ctrl-shift thing and got the same negative result, both
    with IE and Firefox. Also tried turning off my firewall. Any other
    suggestions? I used to be able to get it.

    Thanks.
    Leland

  6. [email protected] writes:

    >I tried the ctrl-shift thing and got the same negative result, both
    >with IE and Firefox. Also tried turning off my firewall. Any other
    >suggestions? I used to be able to get it.

    Well, there are several things that could be wrong, some things to try
    are:

    (a) Look up the internet address. If you have telnet, try "telnet
    www.velonews.com" and if it says "Trying 216.93.164.21..." then it has
    resolved the DNS address correctly. If it uses another address your
    DNS cache or server is messed up and you should reboot. Your local
    DNS server might cache a bad address for up to 1 day.

    (b) Try the url "http://216.93.164.21" in your browser; if it works
    then definitely either your machine or your local DNS resolver has a
    bad address.

    (c) Alternately, try "telnet 216.93.164.21 80" (port 80 is for HTTP)
    if it never connects then the transparent proxy is blocking you, most
    likely. In that case, you need to google "security proxy" or "ssh
    proxy" and figure out how to point your browser at a remote unsecured
    proxy - via a secured ssh tunnel - to access velonews again.

    Nothing can stop you if you have the knowledge ...

    - Don "Used to work on caches" Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  7. Thanks Don. I wrote to my provider, and they sent a routine that
    worked. I can get VN now.

    Leland