Velo-Orange: opinions?

cloudhead

Jul 8, 2010
Hi there, Restoring a touring bike from 1985 has led me to the site for Velo-Orange a lot: Velo Orange home page

I did make a small order from them for brake shoes, a bell and some Nitto noodlebars and am happy with the service.

I like their niche, in keeping bicycles durable and functional, but also to look shiny and interesting, and am now considering ordering one of their wheelsets and a few other components, and would like to know if anyone has had good (or bad) experiences with the VO-branded components.

Thanks,

Court

I only have some slight experience with their products; some (VO branded) anti-theft skewers that I got for my daughter's bike. They were very prompt in shipping (well, they're almost local to me, in Annapolis, MD). For the price, compared to other skewers, I've very happy. I'm also quite taken with their products and philosophy (you've been to the Rivendell Bicycles site, no?). I'd love to visit their store, but they are open weekdays 11-4, so I don't know when I might get there. In any case, my feeling is that you won't be disappointed with either their products or service. But that's just my feeling. Let us know!

I've not seen the Rivendell site. Thanks for the lead. Getting back into this after a bike-related injury from long ago. Glad to see there's still a small but strong industry for these classic touring bikes. Nice that you live so close... where I live, it's all Race or MTB (or fixie if you're under 24) so I've had to seek the web.

-Court

Just noticed Rivendell is in Walnut Creek which is about an hour away. Perfect! thanks!

You're welcome! (I'm a native Californian, btw, not that there's anything wrong with that.) Do some reading on the Rivendell site, it's a real eye-opener, and a trip. I call V.O. "Rivendell Lite", but that's not really fair at all. V.O. seems to be about producing very nice products for a small clientele, at reasonable prices. Another source for this type of thing, and much more, including a wealth of information, is the Harris Cyclery/Sheldon Brown website. Enjoy!

I put an inquiry to Rivendale to see what they may recommend. Both VO and Rivendale have very similar wheelsets in the limitations and price range I am seeking--probably will end up being more of a decision of which is shinier. Their niches are distinct enough but overlap in a way that they are both useful resources for this bike.

(Although anytime I travel to a North Bay bike shop, I want to sell my house and buy one of those handmade $3500 touring beauties that are always on display...)

Well, it sounds like you have a nice project going. Mine is more modest, and mostly finished for now. (I just need to ride it some more!). So enjoy yours, and resist those $3500 beauties!