Veloce 8 speed to 9 speed.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per ElmsäTer, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his Veloce 8
    speed to 9 speed. Components are probably from '99 or '00
    Which components do we need to change?

    Shifter? Rear Derailler? Cassette or can an extra cog just
    be inserted where appropriate? Is there enough room on the
    body for nine cogs or do we need to rebuild the
    hub/freewheel?

    Thankful for any input.

    --
    Perre

  2. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:20:52 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his Veloce 8
    > speed to 9 speed. Which components do we need to change?
    > Shifter?

    Yes, or get the shifter disc and index disc(?) to rebuild
    the old one as 9 speed.

    > Rear Derailler?
    No, the old one is compatible.New jockey wheels are
    sometimes suggested, but I never had a problem with mine.

    > Cassette
    New cassette and chain.

    > there enough room on the body for nine cogs or do we need
    > to rebuild the hub/freewheel?
    No,a new 9 sp. hub is needed.People have said that it is
    possible to fit an extra cog on the 8 speed cassette, but it
    is a tight fit. Alan.
    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North
    Midlands.

  3. Smmb

    Smmb Guest

    "A.Lee" <[email protected]+.com> a écrit dans le message de :
    news:ZMn5c.23306$Y%[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:20:52 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > > there enough room on the body for nine cogs or do we
    > > need to rebuild the hub/freewheel?
    > No,a new 9 sp. hub is needed.People have said that it is
    > possible to fit an extra cog on the 8 speed cassette, but
    > it is a tight fit. Alan.

    So far as I know, the pattern of teeth on the freehub is NOT
    compatible with the newer 9 speed ones. However, an
    additional Miche loose cog could be used, with changed
    spacers, also Miche, to make it work. Have done just that.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy Paris FR

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:20:52 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his Veloce 8
    >speed to 9 speed. Components are probably from '99 or '00
    >Which components do we need to change?
    >
    >Shifter? Rear Derailler? Cassette or can an extra cog just
    >be inserted where appropriate? Is there enough room on the
    >body for nine cogs or do we need to rebuild the
    >hub/freewheel?

    You need shifters and a chain. You can get the end cog and
    8 other 8sp cogs on a 8sp hub body using 2.5 mm spacers. A
    12/23 plus a 26 works great. You'll shift that 9
    perfectly. If you want to put 9 or 10 sp cassettes on, you
    need a hub body and the cassette. If it is a freewheel
    hub, get a new hub.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his Veloce 8
    > speed to 9 speed. Components are probably from '99 or '00
    > Which components do we need to change?
    >
    > Shifter?

    Some 8sp ones can be converted but 9sp Ergo is a better
    product altogether, so might as well get new levers.

    > Rear Derailler?

    Try old 8sp one first, but be prepared to upgrade for
    best results.

    > Cassette or can an extra cog just be inserted where
    > appropriate? Is there enough room on the body for nine
    > cogs or do we need to rebuild the hub/freewheel?

    9sp cogs can't be used as they are because splines are
    different.

    8sp cogs (thicker than 9sp's) could be used with thinner-than-
    9sp spacers, but 9 cogs like this won't fit properly. 8 cogs
    could be used with 9sp shifters. In either case, an extra-
    narrow chain would be needed to avoid noise.

    Alternatively, 9sp cogs can be modified by grinding the tabs
    down, and 9 cogs can just about be squeezed on the hub (with
    the top cog barely engaging until lockring is done up
    tight). Some frames may not have enough clearance.

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    Front derailleur and crankset will be fine.

    ~PB

  6. Per-<< A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his
    Veloce 8 speed to 9 speed. Components are probably from '99
    or '00 Which components do we need to change? >><BR><BR>

    Veloce was 8s in 1997, 9s in 1999...

    But for 9s-right lever shift disc, rear hub or freehub
    body(tough to find)for Campagnolo 9s ,m cogset and chain.

    Are they new shape(1999) or old shape(1998). They need the
    same disc tho-EC-RE-213

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > A friend of mine is thinking about upgrading his Veloce 8
    > speed to 9 speed. Components are probably from '99 or '00
    > Which components do we need to change?
    >
    > Shifter? Rear Derailler? Cassette or can an extra cog just
    > be inserted where appropriate? Is there enough room on the
    > body for nine cogs or do we need to rebuild the
    > hub/freewheel?
    >
    > Thankful for any input.

    Thanks for the replys. I suppose we just need to disassemble
    everything. Take a long look at it and decide which way to
    go. BTW is it hard to rebuild the shifter with the new
    indexing disc? I hear everybody say not to mess with Shimano
    STI levers, but from what I understand Campa is easier to
    mess with or..

    --
    Perre

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:42:41 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BTW is it hard to rebuild the shifter with the new indexing
    >disc? I hear everybody say not to mess with Shimano STI
    >levers, but from what I understand Campa is easier to mess
    >with or..

    It's not hard to change the shift disk. While you are at it
    you replace the 2 index springs and you've effectively
    renewed the works.