Velocity Aerohead vs. Razor

thejen12 wrote:
> No one seems to have any comments on the Razor, why is that? All the
> old school folks say that "box rims" are the most comfortable ride.
> Also, though the weight difference is 45 grams between the stated
> weight of the Aerohead and the Razor, some empirical evidence I've
> seen says the Aeroheads are really more like 435 grams, not 405.
> Weight Weenies has a couple of Aerohead rims listed at that weight,
> and QBP has them listed at about that weight in their catalog.
>
> Has anyone weighed their Aerohead rims? And has anyone actually used
> the Razors?

Although I believe some older riders remember using box section rims
which look like the Razor section and I believe they remember being
comfortable on those bikes then, truly there is _no_ 'comfort' component
to a rim section. Truly.

Aerohead OC really are about 400 to 410g. Aerohead are 'heavier' at 405
to 415-ish. Razors are 450+. That is not enough weight to cry over if
you think they look nice. Aerohead OC is by far the most durable on a
rear wheel.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

> On Apr 17, 9:24 am, thejen12 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 8:42 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I have build hundreds of AH OCs with great> results.
>>
>> I am a little worried that the AH OC will not leave enough vavle-stem
>> exposed to pump up easily (especially when the tire is flat). I used
>> to have this problem with a Campy Lambda rim, and I hated it so much
>> that I no longer use that wheel. What have others found?
>>
>> Thanks, Jenn

> Common 48mm valves work fine

As do even more common (IMO) 36mm valves.

On Apr 19, 8:14 am, "John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > On Apr 17, 9:24 am, thejen12 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> On Apr 17, 8:42 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I have build hundreds of AH OCs with great> results.

> >> I am a little worried that the AH OC will not leave enough vavle-stem
> >> exposed to pump up easily (especially when the tire is flat). I used
> >> to have this problem with a Campy Lambda rim, and I hated it so much
> >> that I no longer use that wheel. What have others found?

> >> Thanks, Jenn

> > Common 48mm valves work fine

> As do even more common (IMO) 36mm valves.

Thank you, it was the 36mm valves I was asking about.

Jenn

On Apr 19, 12:03 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:

> A "lifetime" warranty sounds nice, but consider that you will have to
> pay for shipping both ways if you want PW to fix it. Wheel boxes are
> oversized, so it isn't cheap, and it will take awhile. Also, if the
> wheel has been damaged at all, then it isn't covered either. For less
> money you could have your local shop fix it right away... so that is
> what most people end up doing. If you can get a local builder to
> warranty his work then it would be worth something.
>
> On the other hand *any* sturdy well-built wheel will rarely if ever
> need truing or break spokes unless it has been damaged.

Thank you Ron and Joseph for sharing these enlightening thoughts of
yours. So, now, how do I find out a local builder with superb
wheelbuilding skills? I live about 1 1/2 hrs from Cleveland, Ohio and
am thinking about driving there to 'city-bike' to ask them to build it
for me. I know that this shop sponsors racers, so my thinking is that
they might be putting out a good wheel. Does this logic seem sound?
Coors

On Apr 19, 10:03 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 19, 12:03 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A "lifetime" warranty sounds nice, but consider that you will have to
> > pay for shipping both ways if you want PW to fix it. Wheel boxes are
> > oversized, so it isn't cheap, and it will take awhile. Also, if the
> > wheel has been damaged at all, then it isn't covered either. For less
> > money you could have your local shop fix it right away... so that is
> > what most people end up doing. If you can get a local builder to
> > warranty his work then it would be worth something.

> > On the other hand *any* sturdy well-built wheel will rarely if ever
> > need truing or break spokes unless it has been damaged.

> Thank you Ron and Joseph for sharing these enlightening thoughts of
> yours. So, now, how do I find out a local builder with superb
> wheelbuilding skills? I live about 1 1/2 hrs from Cleveland, Ohio and
> am thinking about driving there to 'city-bike' to ask them to build it
> for me. I know that this shop sponsors racers, so my thinking is that
> they might be putting out a good wheel. Does this logic seem sound?
> Coors

It sounds reasonable as long as you have other business in Cleveland.
It's not exactly rocket science, particularly for front wheels. I'd go
local, but I'd ask them to show me the tension of the spokes, to be
sure they knew what they were doing. Trust but verify!

Joseph

>On Apr 19, 12:03 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> On the other hand *any* sturdy well-built wheel will rarely if ever
>> need truing or break spokes unless it has been damaged.

>Thank you Ron and Joseph for sharing these enlightening thoughts of
>yours. So, now, how do I find out a local builder with superb
>wheelbuilding skills?

Make one in your garage, building 32 spoke 3x wheels is not
rocket science. It's not even hard. It just takes some patience
and time. Front wheels are the easiest and you've got a handy
truing stand attached right to the bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I'm sure it takes me a lot longer to build a wheel than Peter
White, but all the wheels I've build are still going strong.

_ Booker C. Bense

On Apr 19, 4:35 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> It sounds reasonable as long as you have other business in Cleveland.
> It's not exactly rocket science, particularly for front wheels. I'd go
> local, but I'd ask them to show me the tension of the spokes, to be
> sure they knew what they were doing. Trust but verify!
>
> Joseph- Hide quoted text -

I'm guessing that Citybike in Cleveland is no longer in business, as
googling has not shown one single hint of them. Come to think of it...
the last time that I set foot in their shop was in Feb 1996. I'll have
to look closer to home, I suppose... but not as close as Booker
suggests. Rocket science or not... would you go out and lay up all of
the technical masonry veneer on your (hypothetical) new $5,000,000
home. No, you wouldn't... you'd call either me or an equally qualified
mason to do the work. My bike is certainly not worth $5,000,000... but
my own life is priceless, to me... so I'll pass on trying to build my
own (front) wheel. Not that I could not eventually aquire the
necessary skills to build a fine wheel, but I don't have time nor the
inclination to do so. I think that I've quite drawn enough attention
away from the originator's topic and unto my own self.
Coors

On 19 Apr 2007 13:03:34 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Thank you Ron and Joseph for sharing these enlightening thoughts of
>yours. So, now, how do I find out a local builder with superb
>wheelbuilding skills? I live about 1 1/2 hrs from Cleveland, Ohio and
>am thinking about driving there to 'city-bike' to ask them to build it
>for me. I know that this shop sponsors racers, so my thinking is that
>they might be putting out a good wheel. Does this logic seem sound?
>Coors

Because a builder builds wheels that racers use, they frequently are
not A1 wheel builders. Racers are frequently lightweight, ride on
smooth surfaces, and change wheels frequently. I've seen many poorly
built wheels made by mechanics that sponsor large team(s).