velocity aerohead

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    OK, i have gone through my campag vento rear wheel and am looking for another wheelset. I do have a recurring problem of going through rear wheels within 9 months. I assume this is due to my weight (88kgs) and associated size.
    I am now seriously thinking that the velocity aeroheads are the go. Does anyone have any opinions of the prebuilt aerohead wheelset vs buying an aerohead rim and getting it built up on, say, a campag hub?

    Opinions on whether this will hold up or would it be best to go with the deep v rim on a campag hub?

    Tags:

  2. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Byron,

    I'm 20kg heavier than you and I've put Velocity Heater factory built wheels on my commuter MTB, shod with Fat Boy 1.25 slicks. (My roadie has hand-built wheels with DT Swiss hubs and Ritchey Aero OCS rims so not so relevant to the discussion)

    I think the Aeroheat rims used on these Heater wheels are the MTB version of the Road Aeroheads (similar shape but roadies are narrower). Not sure but I also think the hubs are similar.

    I have only had the Heaters on for about 4 weeks but I am pretty happy with them. When I got them, I put them on the wheel truing stand and they did not need any adjustment out of the box. Tyres mounted easily.

    hope that helps

    SteveA

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > OK, i have gone through my campag vento rear wheel and am looking for

    After 5000k? ;)

    > another wheelset. I do have a recurring problem of going through rear
    > wheels within 9 months. I assume this is due to my weight (88kgs) and
    > associated size.

    95-100kg.. you got nothin' ;)

    > I am now seriously thinking that the velocity aeroheads are the go.
    > Does anyone have any opinions of the prebuilt aerohead wheelset vs
    > buying an aerohead rim and getting it built up on, say, a campag hub?
    >
    > Opinions on whether this will hold up or would it be best to go with
    > the deep v rim on a campag hub?

    My current build is a Velocity Fusion rim - skinnier, deeper, heavier
    (only 70g though) and sexier than the AeroHead. Ultegra hubs and DT
    spokes. Hand-built and ROCK SOLID!
    The DeepV is heavier and deeper. I've not used 'em.

    Do you know a good wheel builder? IME factory built wheels are crap.

    See:
    http://www.velocityusa.com/catalog/velocity_rims_road.html

    hippy

  4. "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > OK, i have gone through my campag vento rear wheel and am looking for
    > another wheelset. I do have a recurring problem of going through rear
    > wheels within 9 months. I assume this is due to my weight (88kgs) and
    > associated size.

    Funny thing, a friend of mine just rang me looking for a shop that builds
    good wheels. His Velocity rims (don't knw the model - the ones that have an
    offset rear rim to minimise dish) had worn through the brake surface after 1
    year. Amazed!

    > I am now seriously thinking that the velocity aeroheads are the go.

    You're going to stick with them??

    > Does anyone have any opinions of the prebuilt aerohead wheelset vs
    > buying an aerohead rim and getting it built up on, say, a campag hub?

    Well, I told my mate that I hadn't much experience of getting wheels built.
    The last ones I had built up were the new rims on the Sedona, back in 1998
    by Christie's (sob!). These were new rims and spokes - Mavic X138 rims and
    DT s/steel straight gauge spokes. Now I'm not so heavy at 62kgs stripped,
    but do a fair bit of loaded touring on rough roads. Probably done about
    20-25,000kms on these wheels - no spoke breakages, no retrueing (back wheel
    needs it now) and judging by the wear on the rim I reckon these still have a
    couple more years in them.

    Short answer - get your wheels built up if you can afford it, by a good
    wheelbuilder (Cecil Walker?).

    If you can't afford it, buy a pre-built set and get a good LBS to
    stress-relieve them (do they know what this is?)
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#seating

    I wouldn't be so keen on the Velocitys with these reports especially re.
    sidewall brake wear. Maybe it depends on the model, but I'm very happy with
    the Mavics.

    Cheers
    Peter

  5. "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > OK, i have gone through my campag vento rear wheel and am looking for

    <snip>

    > > I am now seriously thinking that the velocity aeroheads are the go.

    > You're going to stick with them??

    Umm! Sorry, I seem to have misread things here.

    Another thing - recommend you get rims with spoke eyelets.

    Cheers
    Peter

  6. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Ive ordered a set of the aerohead ones myself, Im just waiting for them to turn up dammit. They also have the slightly beefier fusions, and some eyeleted ones listed as well.

    till

  7. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    I looked at Aeroheads but went with CXP33s (for pretty much arbitrary reasons). My final recipe went:

    32h CXP33 rims - these have eyelets, btw.
    32h Ultegra hubs
    DT 14/15/14 spokes
    Brass nipples

    Home made and pretty light for the price (around $600 all in for the pair). They're up to about 10,000km without incident.

    Ritch

  8. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003

  9. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    byron27 wrote:

    > Does anyone have any opinions of the prebuilt aerohead
    > wheelset vs buying an aerohead rim and getting it built
    > up on, say, a campag hub?

    Dunno about the aerohead ones, but I've seen a few busted Kysiriums and random Shimano wheels, enough to put me off factory wheels forever.

    The absolute best thing you can do is to have a read of Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding page http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html then buy yourself a couple of rims, a small pile of spokes, and some hubs, and go at it.

    It may take you a while, but if you're patient you'll end up with much better wheels than you can buy ready-made.

    My own preference is for socketed and eyeletted rims (I'm a big fan of mavic open-pro rims), with 32 x 14/15/14 ga butted spokes, laced three cross to whatever your favorite hubs are (I find campy chorus ones to be acceptably shiny, but have also had fun lacing to Suntour superbe pro hubs, Airlites, and even a Dura-Ace hub).

    Once they're laced, you can use the bike as a truing stand, or else beg/borrow/steal a truing stand, to get them up to good tension, straight, and most important of all properly stress relieved.

    Try it! Once you've done one, you'll never look back.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  10. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    thanks suzy, im inspired!
    then i will only have myself to blame....

    thanks everyone else for their opinions as well.

  11. Marty

    Marty Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > byron27 wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have any opinions of the prebuilt aerohead
    >>wheelset vs buying an aerohead rim and getting it built
    >>up on, say, a campag hub?

    > Dunno about the aerohead ones, but I've seen a few busted Kysiriums and
    > random Shimano wheels, enough to put me off factory wheels forever.
    >
    > The absolute best thing you can do is to have a read of Sheldon Brown's
    > wheelbuilding page http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html then buy
    > yourself a couple of rims, a small pile of spokes, and some hubs, and
    > go at it.
    >
    > It may take you a while, but if you're patient you'll end up with much
    > better wheels than you can buy ready-made.
    >
    > My own preference is for socketed and eyeletted rims (I'm a big fan of
    > mavic open-pro rims), with 32 x 14/15/14 ga butted spokes, laced three
    > cross to whatever your favorite hubs are (I find campy chorus ones to
    > be acceptably shiny, but have also had fun lacing to Suntour superbe
    > pro hubs, Airlites, and even a Dura-Ace hub).
    >
    > Once they're laced, you can use the bike as a truing stand, or else
    > beg/borrow/steal a truing stand, to get them up to good tension,
    > straight, and most important of all properly stress relieved.
    >
    > Try it! Once you've done one, you'll never look back.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Suzy

    I have a set of wheels with Aerohead rims and I think they're great. The
    rear is 32 hole and the front is 28. The rear hub is Dura-Ace and the
    front is an old Rolls hub. The Aerohead rims weighed the same as the
    Mavic tubless rims that I was replacing. Combined with Conti tyres, they
    are beautifull to ride. I really like the idea of the offset center rim.
    It makes a much stronger wheel.

    Marty

  12. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    OK, have decided on lacing up either Velocity deep V's or Fusion rims onto a set of American Classic hubs. The rear hub is high flange which should increase wheel strength. Combined weight of the hubs is only 300grams. I think when i have finished i will have a stronger and lighter wheel set than what my money could have bought me (~$500 or so).

    Spoke recommendations? gauges?

  13. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Bryon wrote:

    > Spoke recommendations? gauges?

    DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith spokes are all of equal quality. I usually use DT simply because they're available pretty much everywhere.

    As for gauge, with the rare exception of vintage wheels (in which case modern fat spokes look silly), I _always_ use 14/15/14 double butted. Also use brass nipples, as the aluminium ones really suck.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  14. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    88kg? You're still in the Cruiserweight division until you put on a few kilos! (see earlier cycling-irrelevant thread). While you're putting weight on the wheels, the way you ride makes a big difference.

    I've got Velocity Aerohead rims on my track bike. I've crashed them multiple times in the last 5 years without putting them out of true. They were handbuilt onto Dura ace style track hubs, 3 cross on the back, three cross on the back.

    Machine built wheels are fine as long as you know how to true them, and keep on truing them until they stay true. If you don't know how, get hand-built wheels from ther offset.

  15. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Err really? I was warned off these, the LBS said the front was nice and light, but the backs just fell to bits all the time.

    That was the final straw in my deciding to just order the wheelset complete from velocity.

    till

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    till! wrote:
    > byron27 Wrote:
    >> American Classic hubs Err really? I was warned off these, the LBS said the front was nice

    > and light, but the backs just fell to bits all the time.

    I needed new bearings for my rear AC hub. They were taking a long time
    to arrive so I had a new wheel built, as before, but using an Ultegra
    hub rather than the AC.

    The front AC-hubbed wheel is still used full-time.

    The rear AC-hubbed wheel is a backup while I use the Utegra-hubbed one.

    I would probably go with Ultegra from the get go next time.

    hippy

  17. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    IIRC Byron runs campy, so that isnt really choice available to him. He better get to ebay for that set of record hubs that finishes in about 8hrs.

    till

  18. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    HI Till!,
    Saw your message. apologies for not getting back to you until now. I work for a government environmental agency and am feeling the wrath of some "concerned" residents this week. as a result, mucho stresso. Cheers for the offer and i still may be in for the rims. Depends on when the ventos totally die, money flow,etc, etc.

  19. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    seen those. i reckon they will go for 300+ which is out of my price range at the moment. Time for another look at the price.....

  20. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I've got a set of AC CR420 wheels, haven't had any dramas in around 6000km. (Except having to replace the rear rim after a big stack - I couldn't get even tension with the warped rim). I commute, train and race on these wheels and never had to touch them with a spoke key. I come home put the bike on the rack and the next morning the front wheel is still spinning! Ok slight exaggeration :)

    Adam