Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Velocity AeroheadOC spoke length calculation?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 591 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 December 2004
Last activity
12 December 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
591
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This question is for Peter C, or anyone else with experience building
    wheels with OC rims.

    My question is, do I have to make an adjustment in the calculated spoke
    length to account for the off-set of the rim?

    After building dozens of wheels, I am planning my first wheel build
    with an OC. I'm using a King Classic Hub, 3x pattern, and 12mm brass
    nipples. The DT Swiss spoke calulator calls for 289mm right side, and
    292mm left side spokes. Should I use these lengths, or do I need to
    make some kind of adjustment?

    Also, I'm planning to tension the spokes 100Kgf right side and about
    80-90Kgf left side. Would that be correct?

    Finally, excuse this question, but toward which side does the rim
    off-set go? I assume the non-drive side. But I haven't seen one of
    these wheels built and I hate to assume.

    (Forgive me if this post appears twice. My PC crashed the first time I
    tried to to post this question.)

  2. Quoted message said:

    My question is, do I have to make an adjustment in the calculated spoke
    length to account for the off-set of the rim?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    After building dozens of wheels, I am planning my first wheel build with
    an OC. I'm using a King Classic Hub, 3x pattern, and 12mm brass nipples.
    The DT Swiss spoke calulator calls for 289mm right side, and
    292mm left side spokes. Should I use these lengths, or do I need to make
    some kind of adjustment?

    You *do* need to make an adjustment. I don't have a spoke calculator handy,
    so I can't check your numbers. When I used the Aerohead OC with Shimano
    hubs, I used equal length spokes on each side.

    You could adjust the calculator if you know the offset of the rim. The
    right flange is further from the center line by half the rim offset, the
    left flange is opposite.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, I'm planning to tension the spokes
    100Kgf right side and about
    80-90Kgf left side. Would that be correct?

    Check both sides, and make the tighter side (probably the right side) as
    tight as Velocity recommends. Let the other side fall where it may.

    Quoted message said:

    Finally, excuse this question, but toward which side does the rim off-
    set go? I assume the non-drive side. But I haven't seen one of these
    wheels built and I hate to assume.

    The spoke holes should be away from the chain as far as possible.

    Quoted message said:

    (Forgive me if this post appears twice. My PC crashed the first time I
    tried to to post this question.)

    How about three times? 🙂

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu
    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered

  3. Quoted message said:

    My question is, do I have to make an adjustment in the calculated spoke
    length to account for the off-set of the rim?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    After building dozens of wheels, I am planning my first wheel build with
    an OC. I'm using a King Classic Hub, 3x pattern, and 12mm brass nipples.
    The DT Swiss spoke calulator calls for 289mm right side, and
    292mm left side spokes. Should I use these lengths, or do I need to make
    some kind of adjustment?

    You *do* need to make an adjustment. I don't have a spoke calculator handy,
    so I can't check your numbers. When I used the Aerohead OC with Shimano
    hubs, I used equal length spokes on each side.

    You could adjust the calculator if you know the offset of the rim. The
    right flange is further from the center line by half the rim offset, the
    left flange is opposite.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, I'm planning to tension the spokes
    100Kgf right side and about
    80-90Kgf left side. Would that be correct?

    Check both sides, and make the tighter side (probably the right side) as
    tight as Velocity recommends. Let the other side fall where it may.

    Quoted message said:

    Finally, excuse this question, but toward which side does the rim off-
    set go? I assume the non-drive side. But I haven't seen one of these
    wheels built and I hate to assume.

    The spoke holes should be away from the chain as far as possible.

    Quoted message said:

    (Forgive me if this post appears twice. My PC crashed the first time I
    tried to to post this question.)

    How about three times? 🙂

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu
    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered

  4. dvt said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    After building dozens of wheels, I am planning my first wheel build
    with an OC. I'm using a King Classic Hub, 3x pattern, and 12mm brass
    nipples. The DT Swiss spoke calulator calls for
    289mm right side, and
    292mm left side spokes. Should I use these lengths, or do I need to
    make some kind of adjustment?

    Quoted message said:

    You could adjust the calculator if you know the offset of the rim. The
    right flange is further from the center line by half the rim offset, the
    left flange is opposite.

    Oops. Not half the offset, all of the offset. Don't even ask what I was
    thinking.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (Forgive me if this post appears twice. My PC crashed the first time I
    tried to to post this question.)

    Quoted message said:

    How about three times? 🙂

    Even funnier is my double post. I'm trying a new newsreader.

    --
    dvt <[email hidden]>
    Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:47:51 -0400

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered

  5. jim-<< My question is, do I have to make an adjustment in the calculated spoke
    length to account for the off-set of the rim? >><BR><BR>

    I say-what I do is calculate the right side then add 1mm for the left, instead
    of 2mm for non OC rims.

    290/291 is what i would use,

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.