Velocity Deep V Q

Meek One said:
Does Velocity make a 700C Deep V in a 32h with machined sidewalls? Thanks.

Sure, just built one last week. They come in machined and non machined sidewalls. Depends on the color. Black is both, some others, catering to the fixie crowd, are non machined BUT you know you can use a non machined sidewall with brakes. Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far aw.........all rims were non machined and they work fine and dandy.

Peter@vecchios said:
Sure, just built one last week. They come in machined and non machined sidewalls. Depends on the color. Black is both, some others, catering to the fixie crowd, are non machined BUT you know you can use a non machined sidewall with brakes. Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far aw.........all rims were non machined and they work fine and dandy.

The color comes off (assuming I had colored Deep V's) when you use the brakes on the non-machined ones, right?

you might be suprised how pristine the sidewalls of some non-machined rims would remain, depending on the rider and/or conditions. usually though, you could count on one rain ride to do them in.
once, there were even brake pads offered specifically for the purpose of abrading away the anodized finish, as the bare aluminum was considered a better breaking surface.
Meek One said:
The color comes off (assuming I had colored Deep V's) when you use the brakes on the non-machined ones, right?

Hypnospin said:
you might be suprised how pristine the sidewalls of some non-machined rims would remain, depending on the rider and/or conditions. usually though, you could count on one rain ride to do them in.
once, there were even brake pads offered specifically for the purpose of abrading away the anodized finish, as the bare aluminum was considered a better breaking surface.

Will the rim's lifespan be shortened without the machined sidewalls?

FWIW It's for the rear wheel, so there won't be that much brake use...

Thanks.

Meek One said:
Will the rim's lifespan be shortened without the machined sidewalls?

FWIW It's for the rear wheel, so there won't be that much brake use...

Thanks.
Doesn't machined mean that they have already shaved away part of the sidewall?

I would think that for maximum lifetime you should probably go with non-machined.

I think that machined sidewalls are for consistent looks with the braking surface and if anything maximum braking, which is a result of maximum friction... maximum friction probably also results in maximum wear.

dgregory57 said:
Doesn't machined mean that they have already shaved away part of the sidewall?

I would think that for maximum lifetime you should probably go with non-machined.

I think that machined sidewalls are for consistent looks with the braking surface and if anything maximum braking, which is a result of maximum friction... maximum friction probably also results in maximum wear.

You are probably right. I was kinda thinking that they may be 'treated' with something to make them more resilient...