Velocity Deep V rims for commuting?

SEAcarlessTTLE

Nov 29, 2005
Anyone out there with first-hand experience commuting on Deep Vs? How many spokes? How narrow are your tires?

It's almost time for a new wheelset (or at least rims), and I'm slightly ashamed to admit I'm tickled by the idea of celeste rims to go with the trim on my otherwise black Bianchi. Velocity seems to have a good reputation, and a local bike shop I like has a lot of experience with them.

Peter White says they're fine for 200-lb. riders at 28 spokes! I weigh considerably less but lug groceries and a laptop around a lot, so maybe I'll go with 32 rear, 28 front...

The deep v's will be a great commuter rim if you don't want to tune your wheels all the time, even 28 hole is no problem. I find these rims take a fair whack to buckle but once they are I find there will always be a little kick in them,no matter how long I play with them.
My alex rims I tune more than once a month but they have always come true, 0.1mm or better. I only touched my velocity's after each crash, about every three months and they were 0.2mm after the first crash and I changed them when I couldn't get them to within 0.4mm.

I commute on Ksysium SLs unless it is raining. I crashed twice in the rain due to traction issues- but that may be due to my tires.

Racing wheels are best for commuting for the same reason they are best for racing- better performance! If you commute with a lot of stops due to lights and such, the benefit of light wheels will be more pronounced.

Tailwinds!

Nice setup, gclark8...but I hope you're well lit if you ride at night, though, with all that chic black on the machine. :) Interesting seat stays on that frame, how they meet the seat tube so low. I wonder how that affects the ride...

Thanks, skootaroo...very helpful to hear about your experience, although all those crashes sound painful! Are you a crit racer? Meanwhile, the Deep V's sound like a good fit for me. Now on to choosing hubs...

BornInZion, I was actually thinking I'd stay away from most racing wheels, because I'm more concerned about durability than I am about weight. (I ride to get around the city and for exercise.) That's what brought me to the Deep Vs, which have a reputation for being bulletproof. They're more for training than racing, but they're not ridiculously heavy, and they look nice to boot. I think I'm sold on them, unless someone posts a horror story!

p.s. I'd be really surprised if your wheels had much to do with your rainy-day crashes, unless the braking surfaces are really poor or something.

Ride safe!... The snow has me stuck inside today. *sigh*

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
Nice setup, gclark8...but I hope you're well lit if you ride at night, though, with all that chic black on the machine. :) Interesting seat stays on that frame, how they meet the seat tube so low. I wonder how that affects the ride...

Thanks, skootaroo...very helpful to hear about your experience, although all those crashes sound painful! Are you a crit racer? Meanwhile, the Deep V's sound like a good fit for me. Now on to choosing hubs...

BornInZion, I was actually thinking I'd stay away from most racing wheels, because I'm more concerned about durability than I am about weight. (I ride to get around the city and for exercise.) That's what brought me to the Deep Vs, which have a reputation for being bulletproof. They're more for training than racing, but they're not ridiculously heavy, and they look nice to boot. I think I'm sold on them, unless someone posts a horror story!

p.s. I'd be really surprised if your wheels had much to do with your rainy-day crashes, unless the braking surfaces are really poor or something.

Ride safe!... The snow has me stuck inside today. *sigh*
I really consider myself a mountain biker but five days a week I do a road commute, 6km + the train ride and 34km home. I haven't had a bad road fall for a few years, just a couple of slips and love taps. I've been breaking spokes on my alexrims, changing them to alpine 111 is working though.