velocity oc build problems

shazzy

Dec 6, 2004
Hi,
Just wanted to ask if any other builders have had problems getting the spoke tension even around the joint of aerohead OC (rear) rims? I've had two builds in a row where I was stuck with VERY low tension in a single spoke at the join, with two VERY highly tensioned spokes on each side, almost like the rim was pre-bent.

Any theories?
Thanks,
Scherrit.

shazzy said:
Hi,
Just wanted to ask if any other builders have had problems getting the spoke tension even around the joint of aerohead OC (rear) rims? I've had two builds in a row where I was stuck with VERY low tension in a single spoke at the join, with two VERY highly tensioned spokes on each side, almost like the rim was pre-bent.

Any theories?
Thanks,
Scherrit.
It is hard for me to tell without seeing and working with the specific samples. However, I have experienced a couple of Velocity rims that had a poory aligned joint. Velocity USA provides excellent support and replacement.
I regularly use Velocity and it it rare to have the rim joint issue.

Thanks so much for yr quick reply... the second rim when unspoked was perfectly flat (after the first one I checked the second rim against a big pane of glass).

I just wondered if I'd missed a trick with OC rims?
Cheers,
S.

shazzy said:
Thanks so much for yr quick reply... the second rim when unspoked was perfectly flat (after the first one I checked the second rim against a big pane of glass).

I just wondered if I'd missed a trick with OC rims?
Cheers,
S.
The splice material added at the joint makes the rim stiffer there. Usually the added stiffness is not an issue because the joint comes out well aligned with increasing spoke tension. However, there are exceptions and I have found a couple....