Velocity Razor Spoke Tension

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jack Riley, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Jack Riley

    Jack Riley Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Building up some wheels with velocity razor rims (700c). Velocity
    states spoke tension at around 56-60 kgf. This seems very low to me.
    Has anyone else built wheels with these rims at this tension with good
    or bad results?

    Thanks!

    Jack

    Tags:

  2. What's kgf?
    TJ

    Jack Riley wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >Building up some wheels with velocity razor rims (700c). Velocity
    >states spoke tension at around 56-60 kgf. This seems very low to me.
    >Has anyone else built wheels with these rims at this tension with good
    >or bad results?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Jack

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Did you talk with Doug of Velocity USA? ... or who didi you talk to?
    I built them with 100 kgf front and right rear. They work well at that tension.
    I built them 3X 32 spoke (DT Competition 14/15 DB) for a 185 lb. rider who commutes with a 15 pound load. He rides ~200 miles a week for work and around ~150 miles per weekend. The wheels have 3,500 miles on them; and no problems.

    I would think that 56 - 60 kgf would be insufficient tension for all but the lightest rider on smooth pavement.

  4. Jim Smith

    Jim Smith Guest

    "Trevor Jeffrey" <[email protected]> writes:

    > What's kgf?
    > TJ

    Just a tad less than 10 newtons.
    Somebody, somewhere, must have thought it was a good idea, but I can not
    imagine why.

  5. jack-<< Building up some wheels with velocity razor rims (700c). Velocity
    states spoke tension at around 56-60 kgf. This seems very low to me.
    Has anyone else built wheels with these rims at this tension with good
    or bad results? >><BR><BR>

    I just talked to the Velocity dude about Razors and he says 100 kgf BUT no
    higher....maybe about 90 kgf would be about 'ideal'.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302