Velocity rims - dealer in Sydney?

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
Does anybody know if there is a Velocity dealer in Sydney who sells them at a fair price?

I've been to a few LBS in my local area, and they've all quoted me $120+ each for a few velocity deep Vs 32 hole rims (looking for 2x non-machined sidewall, and 1x MSW, in black).

To me, that seems a little over the top in terms of pricing, since they seem to be available at US retail prices of about 60% what is charged here (after exchange rates) - that seems to me to be a little strange given that they are made locally.

Anybody have any ideas?

Ta,

n

not exactly what you are after but i've got 2 aeroheads (36, non-ocr) without machined sidewalls that are gathering dust (have never been laced) and are yours for $100.

--brett

gclark8 said:
Tried that this AM, Goerge.

They said that they don't have any control over the prices that dealers charge, and that every LBS in Sydney should be able to order from them.

I got the sense that they charge more for orders from smaller bike shops (who will order less of them), which may explain why the LBS digs I asked quoted such a high price.

n

sideshow_bob said:
not exactly what you are after but i've got 2 aeroheads (36, non-ocr) without machined sidewalls that are gathering dust
Will keep that in mind, Brett. Not quite what I am looking for, but thanks for the offer.

Can I ask how much you paid for them and from what store originally? (send a PM if you would prefer not to disclose publicly)

Ta,

n

nerdag said:
Will keep that in mind, Brett. Not quite what I am looking for, but thanks for the offer.

Can I ask how much you paid for them and from what store originally? (send a PM if you would prefer not to disclose publicly)

Ta,

n

Hi Nerdag

Ask John (owner) or Kane at Ashfield Cycles and they should do you a good deal.

Cheers

Geoff
Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot

If you're after 30mm rims, I reckon the DT RR 1.2s look heaps better :), and you might be able to get them a little cheaper than $120 if you're a regular at your local shop

They're brought in by Dirt Works, so any shop that can get DT spokes (which seems to be most shops) should be able to get the rims

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=19&Itemid=63

bmc_rear.jpg

Do you want them for fixie wheels?

I know that Alan Summers on New Canterbury Rd, Hurlstone Park sells sets of Velocity Deep V fixie wheels for something like $300 the set. Cheaper than buying the components yourself.

nerdag said:

Bought them about 2-3 years ago from Chain Reaction in Menai for around $90 a rim before the shop closed down. I kind of planned to build them into a set of track wheels which never happened.

If you aren't absolutely set on Velocity rims (as opposed to the style of rim), give Greg Ryan at TWE (ridetwe.com.au) a call. IMO Alex Crostini rims **** on anything Velocity make. The Crostini 3.1/3.2 is a similar profile to the deep V. I'm sure the cost of the rims alone from Greg are going to come in quite a bit less than $120 a rim.

--brett

mikesbytes said:
Do you want them for fixie wheels?

I know that Alan Summers on New Canterbury Rd, Hurlstone Park sells sets of Velocity Deep V fixie wheels for something like $300 the set. Cheaper than buying the components yourself.
Do you know if he will do a single rear wheel?

I am after them for a fixie conversion on an old steel cr@pper that I have. Plan was to build one with MSW for the back (with brake), since I already have a front wheel for that.

The other two non-MSW were for a "townie" that I am planning on building over the next little while.

Ta,

n

sideshow_bob said:
If you aren't absolutely set on Velocity rims (as opposed to the style of rim), give Greg Ryan at TWE (ridetwe.com.au) a call.
Thanks for the tip - that sounds like it may be an option.

n

nerdag said:
Do you know if he will do a single rear wheel?

I am after them for a fixie conversion on an old steel cr@pper that I have. Plan was to build one with MSW for the back (with brake), since I already have a front wheel for that.

The other two non-MSW were for a "townie" that I am planning on building over the next little while.

Ta,

n
Don't know, but I'll guess that he does.

What front wheel do you have?

mikesbytes said:
Don't know, but I'll guess that he does.

What front wheel do you have?
What are his contact details? I can't find him through yellowpages.

I have a Formula Xero Lite front. Its off a mate's old OCR2 - I'm using the rear as a trainer wheel, and the front is surplus. For a crapper of a fixie, I don't mind too much what it is.

If it gets trashed in a few years from dealing with dodgy western sydney roads, it will have done its job! :eek:

n

531Aussie said:
If you're after 30mm rims, I reckon the DT RR 1.2s look heaps better :), and you might be able to get them a little cheaper than $120 if you're a regular at your local shop
These certainly look the part! I might think about these for my next wheel build, whenever that will be.

IIRC, the RRP on these is $119, so I can definitely get it for a better price at my regular LBS.

n

nerdag said:
Tried that this AM, Goerge.

They said that they don't have any control over the prices that dealers charge, and that every LBS in Sydney should be able to order from them.

I got the sense that they charge more for orders from smaller bike shops (who will order less of them), which may explain why the LBS digs I asked quoted such a high price.

n
I must add my name to the list of "dissapointed in Velocity". I Phoned and e-mailed them on Monday to order a set of wheels for a Felt I am building and received a written reply refusing to sell me wheels. I get the impression they no longer want me to fit their wheels to the bikes I build. :confused:

The situation of Velocity NOT having a distributor in each state makes it most difficult for trade sales/purchases as all decisions are made in Qld.