Velocity Spartacus? Mav Cosmic Elites/ Any views?

armchair_spacem

Oct 19, 2003
Anyone out there riding on Velocity Spartacus wheels want to share their opinion of them? Ditto mavic Cosmic elites? I'm after a mid price/quality more aero than conventional wheelset for long rides on flats and rolling hills where there's a regular headwind (at least one way).
Thanks

Originally posted by armchair_spacem
Anyone out there riding on Velocity Spartacus wheels want to share their opinion of them? Ditto mavic Cosmic elites? I'm after a mid price/quality more aero than conventional wheelset for long rides on flats and rolling hills where there's a regular headwind (at least one way).
Thanks

I tried so get the Spartacus Pro wheels to work for me since they looked like a good replacement for my old Ultegra wheels even though they were a bit heavier and didn't have reinforced spoke holes (gee, what was my first clue that these were cheaply made?). I was looking for wheels to use for training rides in the same conditions you describe. I busted a non-drive side spoke on a flat smooth road in the first 50 miles. Since they weren't good spokes to begin with (some generic asian brand) I upgraded to DT Swiss aeros. Still kept losing spokes so I think there must be a basic design flaw since I'm 5'10" and 160lbs and have otherwise lost 1 spoke in the past 10 years. What really confused me is the fact that I was on smooth level road every time and wasn't doing any sprints or out of the saddle riding. Weird. You're really in for an upleasant ride home once that happens because it is impossible to true the wheel enough to keep it from rubbing the brake pads since there are so few spokes to begin with. Velocity was very nice and replaced my wheels with another set (with Wheelsmith spokes, too) but now I've got 2 sets that I'll never trust. That's a bad deal at any price, IMO.

I like my Mavics, but I'm not really impressed with the hubs. The cones tend to loosen up more than any wheels I've owned. Not a major problem, but not what I'd expect for the money I spent. The rims have been very strong and I've only had to true them once in the past year. I'd recommend getting the CXP-30s built with Ultegra hubs and aero spokes. You'll have a strong, aero, and fairly light wheelset for probably less money than the Cosmic Elites.

I have the Spartaucs Pro set. I've ridden them for probably 750 miles or so. A lot of that has been climbing and training intervals. I rode two crits. And right after my 2nd one, when almost sprinting to cross an intersection, POINK, I broke my first spoke ever (in the rear). The dude above ain't kidding about the effect. I had to loosen the brake to ride the 1/2 mile to the car.

Those spokes are 15 gage -- mightly skinny looking. It busted at the nipple. I, too, am 5-10, 160 lbs, and not a monster sprinter by any stretch. The rear had been intermittently creaking during some climbs, too, but it would seem to go away if I re-clamped the rear wheel, so it couldn't have been the spokes?

All this said, are there really any alternatives in the price/weight range if you want an aero rim?

I need to build a 24 or 28h one for my soon to arrive Powertap.

Originally posted by AvgTdFsizeguy
I'd recommend getting the CXP-30s built with Ultegra hubs and aero spokes. You'll have a strong, aero, and fairly light wheelset for probably less money than the Cosmic Elites.

Thanks man, I thought the thread was long since dead. I spoke to the manufacturer (here in Australia) who recommended a 100kg absolute max rider weight for the spartacus pros - sounds like you've had troubles without coming close to that weight.
I've picked up a bargain set of 28H CXP30s on ebay. With what I saved on the rims I'm looking for some nice hubs - Kings if I can get 'em or ACs.

Originally posted by armchair_spacem
Thanks man, I thought the thread was long since dead. I spoke to the manufacturer (here in Australia) who recommended a 100kg absolute max rider weight for the spartacus pros - sounds like you've had troubles without coming close to that weight.
I've picked up a bargain set of 28H CXP30s on ebay. With what I saved on the rims I'm looking for some nice hubs - Kings if I can get 'em or ACs.

Yeah, it took me a while, didn't it? I don't even remember how I found your post but I didn't want to pass up the chance to spread the warning. It's funny, but I was just going to post a link to an ebay auction for the ones you already bought. Sounds like you're going to have a nice set of wheels. Check out http://www.roadbikereview.com/Hubs/PLS_2500crx.aspx if you get a chance. Unlike the Kings, the ACs might have some problems.

Aren't these issues really just spoke problems? You might be able to pick up a set cheap and re-spoke them with meatier ones.

Originally posted by Aztec
Aren't these issues really just spoke problems? You might be able to pick up a set cheap and re-spoke them with meatier ones.

I used 14 guage DTs when I re-spoked my Velocitys. Didn't work.

I know there has been two examples of the same problem here, but if it isnt a spoke problem then what would u suggest it is? The only thing i can think of is that there is not enough spokes in the wheel and therefore too much tension is being put on the ones that are there. This would make it a design flaw but surely there are wheels with less spokes than the spartacus wheels in them that dont have the same problem. Just wondering what u think is causing the borken spokes as neither of the guys who own the wheels have offered a theory just a conclusion??????

Originally posted by drewjc
The only thing i can think of is that there is not enough spokes in the wheel and therefore too much tension is being put on the ones that are there.

Well, for one, the Shimano paired spoke wheels had the rim spokes holes positioned on the sides of the rim, not the apex. They also managed to build their rear wheel successfully with four fewer spokes. There's something to consider. The hub alloy, width, and shape should have some influence as well. There are quite a few possibilities and I've already spent too much time on these cheap wheels to figure it out. Spoke problem, design problem, whatever, they're **** and not worth consideration unless maybe you're an engineering student looking for a project. I'd rather be riding.