Velodrome trust to raise ?6m

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3238384.stm

    "London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a facelift.

    "The venue in Herne Hill, south London, is known as the Wembley of cycling, but the track needs
    redeveloping and its facilities improved." [...] "But residents are worried that bigger and better
    facilities will mean more traffic and noise." [...]

    Surely this is one sport's venue which would have a greater proportion of its visitors arriving on
    bikes? Yes, I knopw bikes are traffic.

    Colin

  2. Marc

    Marc Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,=20 [email protected] says...
    > "London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise =A36m to give the city=
    's=20
    > only velodrome a facelift.
    >=20

    They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in=20 London?

  3. marc wrote:

    >>"London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a
    >>facelift.
    >>

    > They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in London?

    It often costs more to repair something than to build it from scratch - all of the restrictions and
    work arounds and whatnot.

  4. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:08:57 +0000, chris harrison <[email protected]> wrote:

    >marc wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >>
    >>>"London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a
    >>>facelift.
    >>>

    >> They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in London?
    >
    >It often costs more to repair something than to build it from scratch - all of the restrictions and
    >work arounds and whatnot.

    Not to mention the ludicrous tax situation whereby new build is zero rated for VAT but
    repairs/renovations aren't.

    Actually, I think that only applies to residential properties but I may be wrong.