Velodrome trust to raise ?6m

• Thread starter Colin Blackburn
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Blackburn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3238384.stm

"London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a facelift.

"The venue in Herne Hill, south London, is known as the Wembley of cycling, but the track needs
redeveloping and its facilities improved." [...] "But residents are worried that bigger and better
facilities will mean more traffic and noise." [...]

Surely this is one sport's venue which would have a greater proportion of its visitors arriving on
bikes? Yes, I knopw bikes are traffic.

Colin
--

In article <[email protected]>,=20 [email protected] says...
> "London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise =A36m to give the city=
's=20
> only velodrome a facelift.
>=20

They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in=20 London?

marc wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>>"London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a
>>facelift.
>>
>
>
> They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in London?

It often costs more to repair something than to build it from scratch - all of the restrictions and
work arounds and whatnot.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:08:57 +0000, chris harrison <[email protected]> wrote:

>marc wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>
>>>"London's mayor is to help launch a trust to raise £6m to give the city's only velodrome a
>>>facelift.
>>>
>>
>>
>> They built one in Newport for 7.5 million why's it cost so much more in London?
>
>It often costs more to repair something than to build it from scratch - all of the restrictions and
>work arounds and whatnot.

Not to mention the ludicrous tax situation whereby new build is zero rated for VAT but
repairs/renovations aren't.

Actually, I think that only applies to residential properties but I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.