Velokraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank P. Patter

Finally piecing together bits of information about your excelent bike, some interesting (to me)
questions come up. Is the range of seat inclination accomplished through adjusting the rear wheel
dropout fittings attached to the CF frame? 11 kilo is already pretty light. Are your tires and
wheels of particularily light design? Is the chain a* SRAM 89R hollow pin? *actually 2.2 +/- Is the
steering a little crowded? adjustable? Do they want to sell one/some in the U.S.?

Frank, HHR

"Frank P. Patterson" skrev ...
> Finally piecing together bits of information about your excelent bike, some interesting (to me)
> questions come up.

I guess you mean me? Theres also one on the WISIL site thats been kitted out by a better
weightweenie than me. http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/barb-n-larry.htm

> Is the range of seat inclination accomplished through adjusting the rear wheel dropout fittings
> attached to the CF frame?

Nope. Theres two holes at the bottom of the seat and two halfway up the seatback. I got 3 set of
holes in the frame under the seatbottom. The seat is currently in the ones furthest back. So I can
move it some inches forward if I want but then I will have to drill new holes in the seatback. Right
now I can ride it without the neckrest so keeping it there.

> 11 kilo is already pretty light. Are your tires and wheels of particularily light design?

Not really. Vuelta Airline1 36 spoke rims. Fronthub a Sturmey Archer VT drumbrakehub weighing 760 g.
Rearhub is a Shimano 105: 346 g. Deore LX cassette: 330 g. Vredestein S-Licks front and rear and
normal tubes and steel spokes. The frontwheel is probably where I get the biggest weightpenalty but
the monofork only works with a drumbrake and its nice to have. But I had hoped for 10 kg.

> Is the chain a* SRAM 89R hollow pin? *actually 2.2 +/-

SRAM PC-59. Almost took 3 full chains.

> Is the steering a little crowded? adjustable?

Crowded? Fits me well and I got all the junk I need on it. Thats to say a mirror, bell, computer and
brakelevers/gripshift. I didn't put a frontshifter on. So far I can shift just fine with the
chaintube. Only problem is that it throws the chain if I hit a bump wrong.

> Do they want to sell one/some in the U.S.?

He already did. There were some threads on the BROL-board. Some lucky canuck ordered one with a
tailbox and wheelcovers in carbon and a handlebar like Barbs. Around 1700 euro sans shipping and
whatnot. Thats just for all the carbonparts.

Mikael

Mikael Seierup wrote:
> "Frank P. Patterson" skrev ...
>
>>Finally piecing together bits of information about your excelent bike, some interesting (to me)
>>questions come up.
>
>
> I guess you mean me? Theres also one on the WISIL site thats been kitted out by a better
> weightweenie than me. http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/barb-n-larry.htm
>
>
>>Is the range of seat inclination accomplished through adjusting the rear wheel dropout fittings
>>attached to the CF frame?
>
>
> Nope. Theres two holes at the bottom of the seat and two halfway up the seatback. I got 3 set of
> holes in the frame under the seatbottom. The seat is currently in the ones furthest back. So I can
> move it some inches forward if I want but then I will have to drill new holes in the seatback.
> Right now I can ride it without the neckrest so keeping it there.
>
>
>>11 kilo is already pretty light. Are your tires and wheels of particularily light design?
>
>
> Not really. Vuelta Airline1 36 spoke rims. Fronthub a Sturmey Archer VT drumbrakehub weighing 760
> g. Rearhub is a Shimano 105: 346 g. Deore LX cassette: 330 g. Vredestein S-Licks front and rear
> and normal tubes and steel spokes. The frontwheel is probably where I get the biggest
> weightpenalty but the monofork only works with a drumbrake and its nice to have. But I had hoped
> for 10 kg.
>
>
>>Is the chain a* SRAM 89R hollow pin? *actually 2.2 +/-
>
>
> SRAM PC-59. Almost took 3 full chains.
>
>
>> Is the steering a little crowded? adjustable?
>
>
> Crowded? Fits me well and I got all the junk I need on it. Thats to say a mirror, bell, computer
> and brakelevers/gripshift. I didn't put a frontshifter on. So far I can shift just fine with the
> chaintube. Only problem is that it throws the chain if I hit a bump wrong.
>
>
>> Do they want to sell one/some in the U.S.?
>
>
> He already did. There were some threads on the BROL-board. Some lucky canuck ordered one with a
> tailbox and wheelcovers in carbon and a handlebar like Barbs. Around 1700 euro sans shipping and
> whatnot. Thats just for all the carbonparts.
>
> Mikael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Mikael. You, as well as the arbr, were the intended. Just as I
hit the send button I realized the addressing error. Thanks for the info.

The bike keeps getting more amazing all the time. In changing my Haluzak from the PC59 to the 89R
hp, 3.72 oz. was saved. Good answer to the poorly worded steering question. So the metal plates at
the rear of the frame are just the dropouts?

Somehow I've overlooked the information on how to reach them.

Frank

"Frank P. Patterson" skrev

> So the metal plates at the rear of the frame are just the dropouts?

5 mm aluminium AFAIK. Held on to the rearstays with 4 screws each and the right also has a threaded
hole to mount the derailleur on.

Mail me if you want detailed pictures of any part. I have a digital camera, so you can get high-res
images if your e-mail is up to it. (Or I can put it on the photopage if its not)

> Somehow I've overlooked the information on how to reach them.

[email protected] (Remove reverse SPAM for address to work) Kamil Manecki speaks and writes
excellent english. Still no webpage.

Mikael

Mikael Seierup wrote:
>
> More pin-up photos here including my homemade seatbags. Viev in "normal"-mode for best resolution.
> It has an annoying habit of fitting them to the window.
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/mseierup
>
> (theres a duck or two somewhere on them)
>
> M.

Having seen a Velokraft in person for the first time today, I was impressed by the build quality -
it is much more refined looking than most bikes from single person operations.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

And it was light enough for you to display over your head with one hand?

Ed - missed that one - Gin

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Mikael Seierup wrote:
> >
> > More pin-up photos here including my homemade seatbags. Viev in "normal"-mode for best
> > resolution. It has an annoying habit of fitting them to the window.
> >
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/mseierup
> >
> > (theres a duck or two somewhere on them)
> >
> > M.
>
> Having seen a Velokraft in person for the first time today, I was impressed by the build quality -
> it is much more refined looking than most bikes from single person operations.
>
> Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:
>
> And it was light enough for you to display over your head with one hand?
>
> Ed - missed that one - Gin

Ed,

Actually I did it several times at the first rest stop - once for the heck of it, and them more
times for pictures. If the pictures turn out, I will send you one. The hardest part was not
supporting the weight, but balancing the force of the wind on the covered wheels.

We also put the Velokraft side by side with my Sunset. Interestingly, the seat heights and seat back
angles were almost identical.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Status
Not open for further replies.