Velomax Circuit Comps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dhk, Nov 2, 2003.

1. dhk

dhk New Member

Anyone have experience with Velomax Circuit Comps? I'm looking at them as part of a build kit. They are available at a good price, thought it might be fun to play with them and see if I can actually feel any difference with these on the new frame. Figure I can always order an aftermarket set of 32 spoke/OP built wheels when I start breaking those exotic double-threaded spokes.

If you guys tell me they will fall apart after a couple sets of RR tracks, or in a 1000 miles, I'll pass and go right to the trusty 32 spoke/OP build up wheels at a higher cost, or get both now.

Dan

PS: I'm 168 lbs, do club rides and training, often less than perfect pavement on the backroads although I try hard to avoid most of the potholes and slow for the nasty stuff.

Tags:

2. pudster

pudster New Member

Dan, I have worked with lots of the circut comps and they have all been excellent. Great wheel at a great price

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Pete: Thanks for the input. I selected them after talking with my framebuilder. He said they hold up very well compared to a regular 32 spoke built wheel. I'm looking forward to trying them out in a couple of weeks on the new bike.

Dan

4. LeonardSmalls

LeonardSmalls New Member

hey dan,i'm guessing that you're looking at co.cyclists' kit? if not, last i checked they allow you to switch from the standard OP's to the velomax's for nothing extra. i use the circuit comps as my race wheels,and i absolutely love them. they're light,fast,strong,stay true,look cool,don't cost a fortune,etc.and the spokes are not exotic at all. they're just double-butted DT's,with the J-end cut off and re-threaded. their [velomax] website explains this clearly,check it out. i'm wondering, how can open pros be costing you more than the velomax's?

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Leonard: I'm going with the local builder here in town, and went with the Circuit Comps on his recommendation. I was concerned about breaking a spoke on the long ride I'm considering for next spring, but he's assured me not to worry about it. He's raced on them as well without any problems; said they are tough wheels.

He has a good OEM price on Velomax Circuit Comps, as well as the Bontrager Race Lites for Campy. These are both less than the Wheelsmith wheels with DA hubs and OP rims. The Ascent and Orion II are quite a bit higher.

I'm looking forward to these on the new bike as I've never ridden anything lighter than 32 spoke MA-3 rims.

Thanks for the input.

Dan

6. LeonardSmalls

LeonardSmalls New Member

hey dan, you're either getting a great deal on the velomax's, or severely ripped off on the D/A open pros. if it's the former rather than the later, where are you getting them? i might want another set of circuits.

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Leonard: Yes, a good deal, but the builder only sells OEM as part of a build kit with a new frame; no individual components. The Wheelsmith wheels are about retail at $300.

Dan

8. LeonardSmalls

LeonardSmalls New Member

yeah,OK...locally hand built D/A OP's for $300 ain't bad at all. there were some circuits from some bike shop on E-bay for $250 a while back,i was hoping for something like that again.oh well,.....ride on......P.S. for what it's worth....my name ain't leonard.....just a name from a movie......i wonder if anyone's gonna get it....

9. dhk

dhk New Member

Sorry. I'm pop-culture challenged and rarely see movies...I'm not the one to get it.

Dan

10. zeltar

zeltar New Member

What is your take on a comparison between the Velomax Circuit Comps vs. the Mavic Kysrium's? Are both able to handle a 6'4"/235 lbs clydesdayle?

11. dhk

dhk New Member

Sorry, missed your reply somehow. Thanks also.
    Dan

12. LeonardSmalls

LeonardSmalls New Member

hey zeltar..... i have several freinds with the K's and everyone raves about them and says they're "bombproof". but they're damned expensive, and wheels ain't heirlooms !! from my experience with the V's,they're rock solid as well,but i can't say for sure with someone of your size.i'd suggest checking out velomax's website. also dependes on how hard you ride,what kinds of roads,etc. on other forums,lots of folks more knowledgable than i often recommend heavier riders check out some mavic CXP 33's,maybe even in a 36 spoke build.

13. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree for durability at 235 lb, I'd strongly consider a 36 spoke built wheel with MA-3 or CXP33 rims. I'm running 32 hole MA-3 rims now, straight 14 g spokes, and weigh 168. I just don't like to mess with wheels, and like them to last a long time.

Wheels are consumable parts, as you said. Unless you're racing, why spend a lot of money on low-spoke wheels to save 200 gms? Just not cost-effective, IMO.

Dan

Dan