Velomax wheels for Cyclocross?

zewol

Nov 28, 2003
I wondered if any of you ever experienced those wheels for 'cross. I was thinking of those two models: Orion II and Circuit , for their availabilityat my LBS. Tell me wath you think plz...

And please don't tell me to go with mavics or any other brand I want info concerning the velomax! thx for all.

zewol said:
I wondered if any of you ever experienced those wheels for 'cross. I was thinking of those two models: Orion II and Circuit , for their availabilityat my LBS. Tell me wath you think plz...

And please don't tell me to go with mavics or any other brand I want info concerning the velomax! thx for all.
I have Circuit Comps on my bike and like them a lot. 5500 miles without any tweaking and they still run true. Fairly light, stiff, and a good value.

Did have a minor problem with the front bearings due to rain....water intrusion into the "sealed" cartridge bearings after a heavy rain ride. Was able to pull up the little seal rings on the bearings to flush and relube, but the bearings don't seem quite as smooth now.

Velomax tech support advised to pull back the end caps and removed any water droplets that got past them into the bearings before they can cause rust. Easy enough to do, but might not be something you want to mess with often.

Don't know anything about cyclocross, but if water and mud is involved, believe I'd want a hub with real contact seals (eg Shimano or Campy).

Thanks for your reply!

By the way, I would consider Campys as an option but shimanos don't have my trust if you don't go high-end...

For what it's worth, I've had two sets of Circuits and one of Orion II. I ride only road. Spoke has pulled through the rim on both Orion II rear wheels and I'm waiting to see what Easton will do about it. On the original Circuits the rear wheel failed the same way after about 12,000 miles. The first rear Orion lasted about a month, the second probably three months. I had asked Velomax which they recommended for me, I'm about 202 pounds and strong (not fast) and I generate a whole lot of torque. They had recommended Orions and I've had nothing but problems with the rear rim remaining both true and not failing.

So if you go with one, go with the Circuits.

zewol said:
Thanks for your reply!

By the way, I would consider Campys as an option but shimanos don't have my trust if you don't go high-end...

dstone1029 said:
For what it's worth, I've had two sets of Circuits and one of Orion II. I ride only road. Spoke has pulled through the rim on both Orion II rear wheels and I'm waiting to see what Easton will do about it. On the original Circuits the rear wheel failed the same way after about 12,000 miles. The first rear Orion lasted about a month, the second probably three months. I had asked Velomax which they recommended for me, I'm about 202 pounds and strong (not fast) and I generate a whole lot of torque. They had recommended Orions and I've had nothing but problems with the rear rim remaining both true and not failing.

So if you go with one, go with the Circuits.
Not reassuring, but suppose 12K miles isn't all that bad a life for a rear wheel if you weigh 200+. Do you ride on rough roads sometimes, or hit potholes? Have you ridden other wheels over the same roads, and if so, have they held up better for you?

Actually I have no problem with getting 12,000 miles from the Circuits. I think that given the road conditions and my size it's very reasonable. Especially since they pretty much held true until the rim failed. It's the Orion II that I have issues with. The first rear wheel lasted maybe 300 miles the second set perhaps 2000. These are mileages I'm not at all happy with given the price.

The roads I ride are typical midwest. Sometimes smooth as glass, sometimes full of holes filled poorly with asphalt. The same roads were traversed with both the Circuits and the Orions. I'd go with Circuit, especially for cyclocross.

dhk said:
Not reassuring, but suppose 12K miles isn't all that bad a life for a rear wheel if you weigh 200+. Do you ride on rough roads sometimes, or hit potholes? Have you ridden other wheels over the same roads, and if so, have they held up better for you?

dstone1029 said:
Actually I have no problem with getting 12,000 miles from the Circuits. I think that given the road conditions and my size it's very reasonable. Especially since they pretty much held true until the rim failed. It's the Orion II that I have issues with. The first rear wheel lasted maybe 300 miles the second set perhaps 2000. These are mileages I'm not at all happy with given the price.

The roads I ride are typical midwest. Sometimes smooth as glass, sometimes full of holes filled poorly with asphalt. The same roads were traversed with both the Circuits and the Orions. I'd go with Circuit, especially for cyclocross.
Got it, and agree the Orion's are disappointing. Like you, I'd think the Orion's would be at least as strong and durable that the Circuit Comps, not less.

Velomax makes a big deal of their quality process to control and record tension on each individual spoke. Your problem makes me suspect they built your wheels with sub-standard soft rims....certainly not something a high-quality company would put out. Wonder if there have been some changes in the product hardware or build process since Velomax was bought out by Easton?

Hope Velomax gets you a set of good Orion's in a hurry...their reputation will go down fast if they are putting out junk now.