Velonews: Armstrong Wins National Tt Championship, Lands Richmond Spot

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Two-time Olympic gold medalist Kristin Armstrong broke the course record at today’s Volkswagen USA Cycling Professional Time Trial Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee, riding the 19.2 mile course in a time of 42:08 to take the victory. The win qualifies Armstrong as the third and final American woman to compete in September’s world championship time trial in Richmond, Virginia, and it comes as a particular relief to the 41-year-old, who was selected and then unselected by USA Cycling as a representative to this month’s Pan American Championships.
“It’s been hard,” Armstrong told VeloNews at the finish. “I’ve been into the depths of the politics and nothing has been handed to me. I earned it today and I’m on the top step. I had to stay focused and not let people get me down.”
Armstrong’s Twenty16-ShoAir teammate Carmen Small took second at 42:21. Amber Neben of Visit Dallas Cycling placed third at 42:26.
“I look at this as the next step. Now I go to Richmond and hopefully then to Rio,” said Armstrong.
VeloNews will update this story throughout the day—Dan Wuori will be on-site at the Volkswagen USA Cycling Professional Road and Time Trial Championships all weekend. For updates, follow Dan on Twitter at @dwuori.
The post Armstrong wins national TT championship, lands Richmond spot appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article