Velonews: Australian O’donnell To Attempt Women’s Hour Record

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Australian cyclist Bridie O’Donnell will attempt to break the women’s UCI hour record on January 22, 2016 as part of Santos Tour Down Under week at the Super-Drome in Adelaide, Australia.
O’Donnell’s challenge will come just four months after American Molly Shaffer Van Houweling set the new mark of 46.273km in Aguascalientes, Mexico. In September this year, Van Houweling rode 208 meters farther than the previous mark of 46.065km, established in 2003 by Dutch rider Leontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel in Mexico City.
O’Donnell, 41, has represented Australia at three UCI World Road Championships and made 12 podium appearances at Australian and Oceania Championships in the past decade. The physician has been training for the attempt for 12 months. “It’s going to be a massive challenge now that Molly [Shaffer Van Houweling] has set a new world mark of 46.273km, but I believe I’m on target and the team around me has supported and encouraged me to no end,” she said. “Everything’s going to plan, and I’m hoping for a big crowd in Adelaide as it’s being staged during the Santos Tour Down Under.”
“The renewed interest and motivation surrounding the UCI hour record continues into 2016,” said UCI president Brian Cookson. “Molly Shaffer Van Houweling set a difficult target in September and it will be very interesting to see if that can be beaten next January. The fact that this new attempt coincides with our opening event of the 2016 UCI WorldTour, the Santos Tour Down Under in Australia, will add to the excitement of this first attempt of the year on the women’s UCI hour record.”
The post Australian O’Donnell to attempt women’s hour record appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article