Velonews: Breschel Hit By Car, Will Not Race Danish Nationals

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
20154921-262239-320x213.jpg
Tinkoff-Saxo's Matti Breschel will not start Danish national road race championships due to injuries sustained in a collision with a car. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com (File).
Former Danish champion Matti Breschel (Tinkoff-Saxo) has withdrawn from Sunday’s Danish national road race championships after he was hit by a car on Friday while training, according to a team press statement.
Breschel, 30, sustained several bruises and hemorrhages, mainly to his legs, and possibly damaged ligaments in his knee after the collision. Examinations didn’t reveal any fractures
After being discharged from a hospital in Denmark, Breschel remained somewhat hopeful that he would be able to recover sufficiently ahead of Sunday’s championship, where he was expected to play a key role. However, after reevaluating the extent of his injuries Saturday, Breschel and Tinkoff sport director Lars Michaelsen decided to pull the former champion from the race.
“I’m really sad not to take part in the national championship,” Breschel said in the team statement. “It’s a real pity to lose momentum and the opportunity to take part in this race, where we ride to keep the champion’s jersey in the team. I’m disappointed and a bit angry that some people don’t pay attention while driving but I have to look ahead, recover, and focus on the fact that nobody was severely harmed.
“I was out scooter-training on secluded roads on Sjælland in Denmark behind my father on the scooter, when an oncoming car cut a corner and drove right into us. The driver had 10 seconds to notice us but that obviously didn’t happen. I slammed directly into the scooter but it was a bit worse for my father, who broke his collarbone.”
The post Breschel hit by car, will not race Danish nationals appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article