Velonews: In The News: Nys Says All Tues Should Be Banned

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
NysHead-320x213.jpg
Former world cyclocross champion Sven Nys spoke out against the prevalence of TUEs in cycling on a Belgian TV program. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com (File)
Sporza reports that Belgian cyclocross star Sven Nys has taken a stand against the prevalence of Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) in cycling. Speaking in a panel discussion about the recent Cycling Independent Reform Commission (CIRC) report on the Belgian Sporza program “Extra Time Koers,” the former world champion said that although better controls have improved the climate in cycling, the rules still effectively enabled doping in some circumstances.
“There are still things in this report I have to furrow my brow at,” he said. “I read that cortisone still remains the biggest problem, while there has already been a test for that for years. Why do they let that continue?
“There are certain cases where there is a clear need [for cortisone], but then you also should not be allowed to race. Put that rider to the side for three weeks. In fact, I think they should eliminate all [TUEs], even those for asthma. A top athlete is someone who has all his capabilities without any need for assistance.”
Nys also addressed his relationship with the former Rabobank team doctor Geert Leinders, now banned for life for his role in the team’s systematic doping program.
“Doctor Leinders has always been very good to me. He has always kept me on the right path, and I am grateful for it,” he said.
Read more >>
The post In the News: Nys says all TUEs should be banned appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article