- Jan 3, 2005
Nairo Quintana, hot off a second-place finish at the Tour de France, is still on the bubble about whether he’ll race the Vuelta a España.
The Colombian said he’s waiting on word from Movistar boss Eusebio Unzué before outlining the remainder of his 2015 racing season.
“We are deciding if we’ll do the Vuelta or not. We’ll make a decision shortly,” Quintana said in an interview released by Movistar. “Right now, I am trying to rest and disconnect, while I wait to see what Eusebio decides.”
Movistar would like to see the climbing sensation at the Vuelta, where he crashed out last year following a pair of spills, but Quintana admitted he is tired from his hard effort at the Tour.
Quintana’s teammate Alejandro Valverde, who finished third in the Tour, is already committed to the Vuelta, where he will be the team leader at the Spanish race after riding in support of Quintana in France.
Other big names that are still uncommitted to the Vuelta include Chris Froome (Sky) and Vincenzo Nibali (Astana). Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing) confirmed this week he will race the Vuelta instead of defending his title at the USA Pro Challenge in Colorado.
Quintana, meanwhile, said he was satisfied with his Tour performance despite falling short of toppling Froome in the final showdown on l’Alpe d’Huez.
“It was spectacular and very good to return to the Tour after two years, and repeat the second place. It’s a confirmation that we’re good, and we’re on the right path,” Quintana said. “And the other podiums, the best young rider, the team classification, second in the mountains jersey, confirms what I did in 2013.”
The 70th Vuelta starts August 22 in Puerto Banus along Spain’s Costa del Sol.
The post Satisfied with Tour de France result, Quintana still on Vuelta fence appeared first on VeloNews.com.
View the full article