Velonews: Uci And Wada Drop Cas Appeal In Kreuziger Case

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
KreuzigerAstana-320x213.jpg
The long saga of Roman Kreuziger's biological passport case, which began back in 2012, has come to an end. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com (File).
Roman Kreuziger’s biological passport doping case, scheduled for appeal next week in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), has been dropped. A brief UCI press statement, issued Friday, announced that it and WADA would not pursue the case, despite having a court date set for June 10.
The statement read: “Based on the availability of newly obtained information, the World Anti-doping Agency (WADA) and the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) have come to the conclusion that, in accordance with the applicable UCI anti-doping rules and WADA Athlete Biological Passport operating guidelines, there is at this stage no basis to proceed further.”
The Tinkoff-Saxo rider was facing a four-year ban for biological passport data taken from early April through late May 2012, when he rode for Astana, during the the Giro d’Italia. The UCI and WADA’s decision to terminate the case effectively exonerates Kreuziger, who had previously been cleared of wrongdoing by the Czech Olympic Committee.
“I am happy and relieved that this case has come to an end. It has been a very difficult period,” Kreuziger said in a written statement. “I am happy that the Athlete Biological Passport [ABP] process has been proven to be fair and that new information can be taken into consideration even if it arises at the last minute. I remain confident that the ABP is a useful tool in anti-doping and I fully support it.”
Kreuziger recently completed the Giro in support of race winner and teammate Alberto Contador.
Read more about the Kreuziger case >>
The post UCI and WADA drop CAS appeal in Kreuziger case appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article