Velonews: Uci Announces Changes, Modernization To Athletes’ Commission

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Brian-Cookson-320x213.jpg
UCI President Brian Cookson said "the Athletes’ Commission will be one of the driving forces behind our sport." Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com
The UCI’s Athletes’ Commission, a group tasked with providing a direct link between riders and the governing body, will see an organizational shakeup and a modernization this season.
The new-look Athletes’ Commission will place its members on the corresponding UCI commission overseeing their discipline — the road representative will sit on the UCI’s road commission, for example — providing a direct line to top-level decision making. The president of the Athletes’ Commission, who will be elected by the other commission members, will sit on the UCI Management Committee.
“With members serving on the corresponding commission of their discipline, and a president sitting on the UCI Management Committee, the Athletes’ Commission will be one of the driving forces behind our sport,” UCI President Brian Cookson said in a UCI statement.
The commission was first introduced in 2011. Since that time it has made a number of recommendations that have been instituted, including equal prize money for men and women and the world championships and an increase in the ban for riders caught doping. It has also weighed in, with only moderate effect, on the race radio debate.
Olympic disciplines (road, track, BMX, mountain bike) as well as para-cycling will see an even split between male and female representatives. Elections will now take place online, with members elected by their peers. Members must be active or recently retired riders. The new commission will be in place in May, according to the UCI statement, and members will remain within the commission until 2017.
The commission will include two members, one male and one female, from road, track, BMX, mountain bike, and para-cycling. The non-Olympic disciplines of cyclocross, trials, and indoor cycling will be represented by a single member.
The objectives of the Athletes’ Commission, according to the UCI statement, are to improve riders’ training and racing conditions and to improve communication between the UCI and riders.
The changes are the fulfillment of a pledge made by Cookson during his election campaign in 2013.
“I am personally very pleased with the new birth of the Athletes’ Commission. During my campaign for the UCI Presidency, I voiced my support for a major role for the athletes,” Cookson said. “By being the ones training and racing every day, they are the essence of cycling and therefore the ones best placed to give their feedback on many different issues touching our sport.”
The post UCI announces changes, modernization to Athletes’ Commission appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article