Velonews: Van Avermaet Acquitted In Belgian Doping Investigation

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
23_20150405_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_A22Y0175-320x213.jpg
Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) finished third in the 2015 Ronde van Vlaanderen. Photo: Iri Greco | BrakeThrough Media | brakethroughmedia.com
Greg Van Avermaet has been cleared of all accusations related to the Belgian Cycling Federation’s doping investigation of Dr. Chris Mertens. His BMC team issued an announcement Thursday confirming that Van Avermaet has been absolved of all wrongdoing.
“I am happy this nightmare is over,” he said. “This has been a hard period for me. Finally, I can focus only on cycling. I want to thank my friends, family, and the BMC Racing Team, who supported me.”
“We never doubted Greg’s innocence,” BMC team president/general manager Jim Ochowicz said. “We are pleased with the decision.”
Ochowicz said the acquittal confirmed the team’s decision to allow Van Avermaet to race while an outcome in the case was reached.
This decision comes on the heels of another high-profile acquittal in the Mertens case. Belgian cyclocross star Tom Meeusen was also cleared of all accusations in late April after coming under scrutiny during the winter.
The post Van Avermaet acquitted in Belgian doping investigation appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article