Velonews: Van Vleuten Hit By Car While Training, Breaks Collarbone

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
31_20150422_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_A22Y7796-320x213.jpg
Annemiek Van Vleuten (Bigla) finished second at La Flèche Wallonne Féminine earlier this season. Photo: Iri Greco / BrakeThrough Media | brakethroughmedia.com
Bigla’s Annemiek van Vleuten, former winner of Ronde van Vlaanderen and three-time stage winner at Giro Rosa, was hit by a car while training Thursday. The 32-year-old suffered a broken collarbone and three broken ribs.
Van Vleuten had been participating in a training camp in Livigno, Italy, in preparation for the final part of the season.
“The car did not see me coming and took a left turn. I was riding fast because I was doing TT training. My boyfriend Tom was luckily with me and saw it happening. The helicopter brought me to Sondalo hospital. I had an examination and they found a broken collarbone and three broken ribs. There was also risk for pneumothorax, and I had surgery for that today to inflate the lung again.”
The Dutchwoman was disappointed after the incident but also looked on the bright side. “I am very disappointed because I was preparing very well for the last part of the season and was feeling great. On the other hand I was very lucky that it was only this, and I am still alive. This is something I can handle and will be OK and take some time out.”
The post Van Vleuten hit by car while training, breaks collarbone appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article