Velonews: With Training Behind Schedule, Stybar Limits €cross Racing

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
18_20150412_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_A10O7406-320x213.jpg
Zdenek Stybar rode onto the podium at Paris-Roubaix in 2015. He'll continue to intensify his focus on road events for 2016, forgoing cyclocross almost entirely. Photo: Jim Fryer | BrakeThrough Media | brakethroughmedia.com
Three-time cyclocross world champion Zdenek Stybar will limit himself to just one ‘cross race this winter, saying that his fitness is a bit behind schedule. He’ll race the Bpost Bank Trofee Series race in Essen, Saturday, December 5.
“After the Boonen and Friends charity event, I talked with my team and agreed that I wouldn’t do any cyclocross event this season, except Essen, and instead turn my attention to road training prior to the next season,” said Stybar, who enters his sixth season with the Etixx-Quick-Step squad in 2016.
This is in contrast to Lars Boom, a fellow ‘cross star-cum-road professional, who yesterday announced a schedule of six cyclocross races this season.
“If I compare my condition with the one I had last year I have to say that I’m a little bit behind schedule, which was obvious also last weekend in the Boonen and Friends cyclocross,” Stybar continued in a team statement. “For me it’s a tough decision, because everybody knows how much I’m fond of this discipline, but I don’t want to race a cyclocross calendar without being in good condition, because it would be disrespectful for the organizers and the fans. I’m glad to ride Essen and meet my supporters there, as I have some great memories from this race and many friends there. Then, after Saturday, I will focus on my preparation for the road season, joining my team in Denia for the first training camp of the season.”
The post With training behind schedule, Stybar limits ‘cross racing appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article