Venice by bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by starquake, Mar 17, 2004.

1. starquake

starquake New Member

Hi,

We're going to Venice through Hungary, Slovenia and Austria this summer with my girlfriend (actually I would like to ask for her hand there, but that should be a secret), and my question is: is it possible to get to Venice by bike on a road? Or shall we use one of those vaporettos that carry bikes? Or shall we leave our bikes in the camp and enter the city on foot?

Any hints welcome.

Tags:

2. dmcnjammasterj

dmcnjammasterj New Member

Hello,

Venice by bike would be pretty rough. It is not developed around a bicycle and foot traffic would be against you. Being an island, you will have to take the vaporetto to get there ( It only takes 5 min, depending on what stop you choose. Once there, the streets become very narrow and there are many foot bridges to cross canals, etc. You would probably spend more time carrying your bike than riding. You will note the absence of cars though. I highly recommend Venice as a tourist but I think you would have much more fun with your girlfriend cruising around on a gondola ;)

Hope this helps.

darren
    castiglion fiorentino, italy

3. starquake

starquake New Member

thanks for your answer, it surely did help. we will leave our bikes in the camp i think, at least we can more easily move around the town, go into a restaurant, etc.

many thanks again!

4. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Maybe a nice idea for you. If you cycle towards Lido di Jesolo (the beach of Venice) and take a hotel or the camping there, then there is a boat towards Venice. I am not sure about the cost, but the trip was about 15 minutes. Going from Lido di Jesolo to Venice by car is at least one and a half hours (drive around the laguna).

Don't have large expectations of Lido di Jesolo. It's a seaside resort (just hotels).

I agree cycling in Venice= impossible.

5. mareblu

mareblu New Member

Io sono appena ritornata da Venezia, ma non in bici! mi sembra che questa citta' non e' attrezzata per le bici. Non ne ho viste tante!
    ciao ;)

Mareblu

6. robertlees

robertlees New Member

At the start of this thread, StarQuake mentioned camping. I'm doing a cycling trip around Italy in May, and would like to explore using camping rather than hotels. Any ideas ? Do I need a tent - sounds like I do. I want to minimise what I carry.

Thanks
    Robert