Venice

John Hemmings

Guest
Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on holiday and I'm wondering if
it's worth taking the bikes. Any information such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.

Thanks John

"John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nice one, very funny!
>
> Thanks, John
>
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their
on
> > > holiday and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any
> information
> > > such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
> > >

> > http://shuttlebikeusa.com/

They've got an Italian site too, is that a picture of venice at the top? http://www.shuttlebike.it/

You never know I may give it try when I'm their!

elyob wrote:

>"John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on holiday and I'm wondering
>> if it's worth taking the bikes. Any information such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
>>

>http://shuttlebikeusa.com/

Bah! You beat me to it!

I have seriously considered buying one of those. I even got as far as emailing Shuttlebike to find
out how to purchase. This was their reply:

====================

Dear Mr. Bob,

thank you for your kind attention given to our product Shuttle-Bike kit, that we believe to be, at
present, the best in term of quality, reliability, safety and price.

The Shuttle-Bike kit is an Italian product, made in Italy by S B K engineering in Vigevano (PV) near
Milano. The Shuttle-Bike kit is the result of many years of research in materials and ideaswhat make
Shuttle-Bike kit a unique product.

The Shuttle-Bike kit has now the special price of E. 723,03 freight charges included. Payment is in
advance by wire transfer on our bank account. Delivery time is usually 10 days from the order. The
Shuttle-Bike's guarantee is 1 year.

We are sorry, but we haven't, at present, sole distributor in your country, so if you are
interesting in the purchasing of one Shuttle-Bike kit , you can order it directly by our
firm in Italy.

We remain at your disposal for any further information, and we look forward to hearing
from you soon.

Kind regards

S B K engineering MariaRita Fornara
--
remove remove to reply

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>

> The Shuttle-Bike kit has now the special price of E. 723,03 freight charges included.

£500 ... phew ... can I just have a quick go when you get yours .. :)

It'd definitely be fun to take one up the Thames. Bit odd though ...

Gonzalez wrote:

> elyob wrote:
>

> >"John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on holiday and I'm
> >> wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any information such as maps, routes, etc, will be
> >> most welcome.
> >>

> >http://shuttlebikeusa.com/
>
> Bah! You beat me to it!
>
> I have seriously considered buying one of those. I even got as far as emailing Shuttlebike to find
> out how to purchase. This was their reply:
>
> Dear Mr. Bob,

<snip>

Better still the Darkside is alive and strong on the Serpentine.

http://www.metroleisure.co.uk/serpentine.htm

John B

>> >http://shuttlebikeusa.com/
>>
>> I have seriously considered buying one of those.

So did I, but adapting one to fit a longish wheelbase recumbent looked like to much trouble.

>Better still the Darkside is alive and strong on the Serpentine.
>
>http://www.metroleisure.co.uk/serpentine.htm

This would seem a bit more efficient and comfortable. You could even carry in a trailer! Wouldn't
fancy lugging it over the Alps enroute to Venice...

http://www.micromarine.com/Inflatables/Sport_Ultralight/sport_ultralight.html

There's a whole raft (sorry!) of watercycles and the like at
http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/Links/L_Manufacturers.htm

Mark van Gorkom

If any one could take this thread seriously I would also be interested in the same as John , can
bikes be taken on the trains from the mainland and are you allowed to cycle on the island itself ?

--
Steve "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on holiday and I'm wondering
> if it's worth taking the bikes. Any information such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
>
> Thanks John

In message <[email protected]>, Steve Shaw <[email protected]> writes
>If any one could take this thread seriously I would also be interested in the same as John , can
>bikes be taken on the trains from the mainland and are you allowed to cycle on the island itself ?

Don't know about *allowed*, but there are no roads to speak of, other than the road from the
mainland which basically ends in a multi-story car park. There are canals and bridges everywhere -
it's plenty small enough to walk, and the water busses are frequent and inexpensive if you buy a
daily or three-day ticket.

In addition, it's often flooded such that you walk along gangways raised up on trestles, and it's
usually busy. A bike would be a real nuisance, but I'd imagine you could cycle or train across and
leave it in the car park.

Cheers
--
Keith Wootten

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Steve
Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote:
> If any one could take this thread seriously I would also be interested in the same as John , can
> bikes be taken on the trains from the mainland and are you allowed to cycle on the island itself ?

No point. Everything's easy walking distance, and the roads are sufficiently narrow and busy that a
bike'll be more trouble than it's worth. OTOH, you could certainly benefit from one on the mainland;
you're within day-ride distance of things like Lake Garda or the Dolomites, and other historic
cities such as Verona.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)