ventisit - breathible seat material?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dh, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Dh

    Dh Guest

    Hi, I went to a bike day in Tilburgh, the Netherlands today and came across a material called
    Ventisit. I did a google search when I came home and there were only a few sites.

    http://www.smitveld.nl/ventisit.htm Take a look at this material and see if you might know this
    under a different name. For me, the biggest disadvantage of a recumbent, is the sweating one endures
    because of the material of the seat. Is this material well known ... what do you call it? I can buy
    it from a local dealer, but it comes in the shape of a pre made seat. I was thinking about buying
    the material bulk and using it according to my own wishes.

    Thanks, Dave Horne

    Tags:

  2. Iliad

    Iliad Guest

    Dave, I can only see it, can't read the page as you probably already knew. It looks interesting
    though. How does one cut it to size if you can buy it in bulk? iLiad "DH" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I went to a bike day in Tilburgh, the Netherlands today and came across a material called
    > Ventisit. I did a google search when I came home and there were only a few sites.
    >
    > http://www.smitveld.nl/ventisit.htm Take a look at this material and see if you might know this
    > under a different name. For me, the biggest disadvantage of a recumbent, is the sweating one
    > endures because of the material of the seat. Is this material well known ... what do you call it?
    > I can buy it from a local dealer, but it comes in the shape of a pre made seat. I was thinking
    > about buying the material bulk and using it according to my own wishes.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave Horne

  3. Dh

    Dh Guest

    I looked at it close up and you can easily cut it with scissors. I sent an e-mail to a site here in
    Holland that sells it asking them if they will sell it in bulk (instead of a finished formed seat).

    The finished product I saw today used either thick plastic thread or those plastic ties to hold
    folded over pieces together. I didn't spend a great deal of time with it, but it looked very
    promising. I think if you buy it you would want to fold the material over on itself to make it
    twice as thick.

    I can read more of the Dutch than you, but I'm not Dutch ... I moved here nine years ago
    from the US.

    Most Dutch (especially those in business) can read and understand English. You might want to contact
    them yourself.

  4. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    that product looks very nice, does it totally take the place of the seat foam, or just go on top of
    it? Does anyone know if it's available in the US?

    DH wrote:
    > I looked at it close up and you can easily cut it with scissors. I sent an e-mail to a site
    > here in Holland that sells it asking them if they will sell it in bulk (instead of a finished
    > formed seat).
    >
    > The finished product I saw today used either thick plastic thread or those plastic ties to hold
    > folded over pieces together. I didn't spend a great deal of time with it, but it looked very
    > promising. I think if you buy it you would want to fold the material over on itself to make it
    > twice as thick.
    >
    > I can read more of the Dutch than you, but I'm not Dutch ... I moved here nine years ago
    > from the US.
    >
    > Most Dutch (especially those in business) can read and understand English. You might want to
    > contact them yourself.

  5. Dh

    Dh Guest

    From what I saw, you could just use that over the form of your seat. (If I order that Giant Revive,
    I will buy that material and place that on top of the original seat. ) Also, bear in mind, I have no
    personal experience with that material. Contact a recumbent dealer here in Holland for more info.
    The dealer I spoke to today at that bike day in Tilburg was BEL www.betereenligfiets.nl (Beter Een
    Ligfiets - Better a recumbent)