Veratomic quick-lock skewers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    Tags:

  2. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anybody have experience with these? Do they work? Do they hold up to theft attempts?
    >
    > http://www.veratomic.com/
    >
    > The first reviewer on mtbr seemed to have problems, while the others all seem satisfied.
    >
    > http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Skewer/product_122458.shtml

    Forgive me for being cynical, but don't a lot of those reviews sound like they were written by an
    advertising firm? I think it was "Similar products tried: None like this!" that clinched it for me.

    For a while I was using Kool Stop's Quik Lox:

    http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#quiklox

    But I had two of the inserts break when I applied a little too much force. That sounds like the same
    kind of problem the first mtbr reviewer had with the veratomic and leads me to believe that they are
    under-engineered.

    Have you looked at Pitlock? I'm very happy with it. I am alarmed, though, that their
    English-language site (www.pitlock.com) wasn't working when I tried it a second ago. You can get the
    general idea from the German site: www.pitlock.de.

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 19 Jun 2003 10:04:06 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:

    >Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Anybody have experience with these? Do they work? Do they hold up to theft attempts?
    >>
    >> http://www.veratomic.com/
    >>
    >> The first reviewer on mtbr seemed to have problems, while the others all seem satisfied.
    >>
    >> http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Skewer/product_122458.shtml
    >>
    >Forgive me for being cynical, but don't a lot of those reviews sound like they were written by an
    >advertising firm? I think it was "Similar products tried: None like this!" that clinched it for me.

    I'd agree. It put me on edge, seven glowing raves and one critical review. I'm hoping to hear from
    more people who have actually used them.

    >For a while I was using Kool Stop's Quik Lox:
    >
    >http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#quiklox
    >
    >But I had two of the inserts break when I applied a little too much force. That sounds like the
    >same kind of problem the first mtbr reviewer had with the veratomic and leads me to believe that
    >they are under-engineered.
    >
    >Have you looked at Pitlock? I'm very happy with it. I am alarmed, though, that their
    >English-language site (www.pitlock.com) wasn't working when I tried it a second ago. You can get
    >the general idea from the German site: www.pitlock.de.

    Thanks for the referral; hadn't heard of them.They look like a good design. I'll look into them. Any
    idea where to get them in the US?

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    If absolute locked-down wheels aren't necessary, but quick releases are too vulnerable, bolt-on
    wheels may work for you.

    Nashbar sells bolt-on skewers. Or you can replace the axle with a solid piece and track nuts.

    I am wary of locking skewers that require a special tool. Losing the key would be too easy for me.

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 19 Jun 2003 10:04:06 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:
    >
    > >Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Anybody have experience with these? Do they work? Do they hold up to theft attempts?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.veratomic.com/

  5. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > I am wary of locking skewers that require a special tool. Losing the key would be too easy for me.

    Ditto. And it's not as if you can take the "spare key" into a locksmith for a cheap and
    cheerful copy.

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  6. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 19 Jun 2003 10:04:06 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:
    >
    > >Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Anybody have experience with these? Do they work? Do they hold up to theft attempts?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.veratomic.com/
    > >>
    > >> The first reviewer on mtbr seemed to have problems, while the others all seem satisfied.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Skewer/product_122458.shtml
    > >>
    > >Forgive me for being cynical, but don't a lot of those reviews sound like they were written by
    > >an advertising firm? I think it was "Similar products tried: None like this!" that clinched it
    > >for me.
    > >

    > I'd agree. It put me on edge, seven glowing raves and one critical review. I'm hoping to hear from
    > more people who have actually used them.
    >
    > >For a while I was using Kool Stop's Quik Lox:
    > >
    > >http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#quiklox
    > >
    > >But I had two of the inserts break when I applied a little too much force. That sounds like the
    > >same kind of problem the first mtbr reviewer had with the veratomic and leads me to believe that
    > >they are under-engineered.
    > >
    > >Have you looked at Pitlock? I'm very happy with it. I am alarmed, though, that their
    > >English-language site (www.pitlock.com) wasn't working when I tried it a second ago. You can get
    > >the general idea from the German site: www.pitlock.de.
    >

    > Thanks for the referral; hadn't heard of them.They look like a good design. I'll look into them.
    > Any idea where to get them in the US?

    Well, www.bikepartsusa.com used to carry them, but I just checked and no dice. I'm beginning to
    think Kryptonite drove them out of the US market. I hope they haven't gone out of business entirely.
    Some NYC bike shops probably still have them on their shelves. If you're interested in that route,
    I'd call Toga bikes in Manhattan: www.togabikes.com.

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:42:06 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If absolute locked-down wheels aren't necessary, but quick releases are too vulnerable, bolt-on
    >wheels may work for you.

    This is for a town/commuter bike in San Francisco. Pretty high rate of theft, and unlocked wheels
    and seatposts do disappear.

    >Nashbar sells bolt-on skewers. Or you can replace the axle with a solid piece and track nuts.

    I have bolt-on skewers on one bike (from a local shop, not Nashbar, but probably all from the same
    factory). And a cable on the seat.

    I still use a cable around the front wheel. I don't trust the bolt-ons to stop someone who is
    seriously cruising for bikes and parts. Well, I don't trust much of anything in the final analysis,
    but a u-lock and cables have kept things from being stolen over the years. A mid-level bike with no
    high-end name parts also helps.

    >I am wary of locking skewers that require a special tool. Losing the key would be too easy for me.

    Yep. Looks as if Kryptonite only provides one key with their skewers, which means immediately buying
    a back-up. The Veratonic people provide three keys with a set.

    For this bike set-up, I am always carrying a couple of locks, so I always have keys with me. I am
    hoping to be able to stop carrying the cable lock. It would be nice to use only the u-lock, and have
    more places to lock up without having to use the rear wheel inside the triangle. I don't know if
    locking skewers would be enough to make me stop using the cable; just exploring the idea and the
    different makers.

  8. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 20 Jun 2003 07:40:24 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:

    >Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...

    >> >Have you looked at Pitlock? I'm very happy with it. I am alarmed, though, that their
    >> >English-language site (www.pitlock.com) wasn't working when I tried it a second ago. You can get
    >> >the general idea from the German site: www.pitlock.de.
    >>

    >> Thanks for the referral; hadn't heard of them.They look like a good design. I'll look into them.
    >> Any idea where to get them in the US?
    >
    >Well, www.bikepartsusa.com used to carry them, but I just checked and no dice. I'm beginning to
    >think Kryptonite drove them out of the US market. I hope they haven't gone out of business
    >entirely. Some NYC bike shops probably still have them on their shelves. If you're interested in
    >that route, I'd call Toga bikes in Manhattan: www.togabikes.com.

    The German web site appears to have a store. I sent them an email (in English) asking if they will
    ship here. I'll let you know if I hear anything. And I'll cal around to a couple of local shops that
    would know about them.

  9. On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:22:53 -0700, Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On 20 Jun 2003 07:40:24 -0700, [email protected] (Gary Young) wrote:
    >>Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:<[email protected]>...

    These guys are interesting. Not just locking quick releases, but also a locking aheadset & locking
    cantilever bolts.

    Jasper