Verbal abuse

Squeaker

Apr 20, 2004
I tried to post this once already but I think I mucked it up, so sorry if it appears twice ... anyway, coming home tonight a teenage lad walked out in front of me without looking, and I only avoided hitting him because I shouted a warning just in time. The response from the man with him (the boy's father, I think) was 'f*** off you stupid *****'. I didn't stop because I thought I might get assaulted, in fact the thing upsetting me most right now is the fact this guy was close enough to shove me off the bike if he felt like it. In my neighbourhood verbal abuse for female cyclists is an occupational hazard, but I was particularly shaken by this incident and I'd be grateful for any advice or support. Thanks.

Not much you can do, I guess, except learn to ignore it. You were right not to stop, it would just have been a waste of time and as you observed, you might have gotten in trouble. Just be grateful you don't live in the US, where this kind of thing seems to happen a lot more, and where a lot more people have guns :)

Hi MJW, thanks - blimey, guns eh? You're right, I suppose things could be worse ... at least the kid might think twice about stepping out in front of traffic in future. I suppose this kind of thing is bound to happen occasionally and the best thing to do is indeed try to ignore it. But sometimes a big water cannon on the front of the bike would be nice!

I don't know about the other countries but here in the states ( or as the brits call it "the colonies") there are a lot of ignorant motorists who think that a bicycle is a toy that should be ridden on the sidewalk. However, they aren't aware that a bicycle is actually recognized as a vehicle in all 50 states and should be operated on the road as such. Instead they display their ignorance by yelling at me to "get off the road!" In a lot of states this is recognized by law as vehicular harrassment and a cyclist not only has a right to the road but they can also report the motorist to the law and press charges. I tried to do that once but the driver BS'd his way out of the ticket. At least the officer informed him of my right to the road. It was once suggested by Bicycling Magazine that a cyclist should carry a pen and paper so that when they are harrassed by a motorist the rider can write down the liscense tag and report the jerk. Sounds like a good idea to me. I've even considered creating a pamphlet for the motorist who has allowed the air pressure in their skull to fall so that they would be better informed about the laws regarding bicycles. I hope that there are similar laws regarding harrassment in other countries and that the cyclists there are standing up for themselves.

I've had the same "get on the sidewalk" comment. People in cars feel very safe and untouchable. I think the inner frustration is obvious when you see how people drive, and treat even other cars much less pedestrians, bikers, etc. I carry a cell phone and I'm not afraid to use it. NC has really loose nonconcealled(sp) weapon laws and I got a real nice llittle .22, but the guys I ride w/ freaked when I mentioned I'd like to ride w/ it. Hey, I'm from So Cal originally and have really had enough of close calls out on the 2 lane roads of NC. Everyone has a rifle and you hear shooting around here. I don't ride down some really cool looking dirt roads in the national forest since the last time the guns started crackin, and as I turned around to split I hear these guys laughing. Now its buddy up, no riding alone, and keep to my 12" of bike lane. Do I sound bitter? No just ****** off.!!

Sorry to hear about that.
The other day I was climbing upwards to a roundabout that was on a gradient. Such roundabouts can be tricky since you have to stop in the middle of a climb and then resume when your right hand side is free of incoming cars.
As I surged into the middle of the roundabout to go straight through, a huge lorry behind simply rammed at my back wheel, literally trying to push me off the road. You can imagine several tons of lorry coming at you from behind in such a situation.
So, I had to swerve to the middle of the island, stop right in the middle of the onrush of traffic and narrowly escaped being pancaked. I reacted well to the situation but had I not done so this would have been a serious accident.
Don't wish to repeat what I shouted at the lorry driver but saw two farmer types sitting in the cabin as the vehicle moved off to a right turning.
If I could have got my hands on the driver I'd have arrested him on the spot.
Don't know what I can advise you, though. Maybe you should tuck some tear-gas in your bag just in case. I have had loads of abuse shouted at me on the road as well or cars full of hooligans throwing cans e.t.c. Sometimes it seems to be jealousy over cycle riders.

Squeaker said:
I tried to post this once already but I think I mucked it up, so sorry if it appears twice ... anyway, coming home tonight a teenage lad walked out in front of me without looking, and I only avoided hitting him because I shouted a warning just in time. The response from the man with him (the boy's father, I think) was 'f*** off you stupid *****'. I didn't stop because I thought I might get assaulted, in fact the thing upsetting me most right now is the fact this guy was close enough to shove me off the bike if he felt like it. In my neighbourhood verbal abuse for female cyclists is an occupational hazard, but I was particularly shaken by this incident and I'd be grateful for any advice or support. Thanks.

mjw_byrne said:
Not much you can do, I guess, except learn to ignore it. You were right not to stop, it would just have been a waste of time and as you observed, you might have gotten in trouble. Just be grateful you don't live in the US, where this kind of thing seems to happen a lot more, and where a lot more people have guns :)
At least in the US good people have guns too. In countries where they are banned only the bad have them. :) Besides do you have personal experience of verbal abuse here in the US or are you making a hasty generalization? I am not saying it doesn't happen because it does buy how can you say it "seems to happen a lot more"? Food for thought.

Here in west texas, you can carry a concealed weapon with a permit. That has given the bad guys a lot to think about. We try to always ride out in the country, rather than the city. People are more respectfull than ever... we take up the whole lane on our rides. Also, we always ride with at least one partner and always carry a cellular phone with us. Never ride alone, that is the best advice for all cyclists. There is a local share the road campaign and a whole new set of bike routes that are due out in the next few years. The most trouble we have encountered are dogs that come up from the ranches for a chase. I didn't have any cycling partners at first, but I have brought two new people into the sport and now I am working on the third!

Hooben said:
Here in west texas, you can carry a concealed weapon with a permit. That has given the bad guys a lot to think about. We try to always ride out in the country, rather than the city. People are more respectfull than ever... we take up the whole lane on our rides. Also, we always ride with at least one partner and always carry a cellular phone with us. Never ride alone, that is the best advice for all cyclists. There is a local share the road campaign and a whole new set of bike routes that are due out in the next few years. The most trouble we have encountered are dogs that come up from the ranches for a chase. I didn't have any cycling partners at first, but I have brought two new people into the sport and now I am working on the third!
Sounds like Texas and Utah are a lot alike in regards to guns and cycling initiatives!

Squeaker said:

Here's a little tip from someone who deals with unruly pedestrians and drivers everyday.
Stick your elbow out just a bit as you pass them. Being a female you might not want to stop and confront their stupidity. But if you do decide to, make sure you have a mini krypto lock in your back pocket just in case. lol
woohaa!
Otherwise just ignore them and keep riding. Take comfort in knowing that for every guy that almost runs into you or calls you a "b*tch" there's a cyclist taking care of business for you.
Now check out this link www.kingzoftheroad.com ;)

Hooben said:
Here in west texas, you can carry a concealed weapon with a permit. ...
yes indeed, actual sanity. As I recall, you can carry w/o a permit any time as long as its not concealed too. Was that way in Arizona (AZ) and the bikers would always have a .45 in a hoster.

Squeaker said:
I had something like that happpen today!!!:mad: I was riding down a major 4-lane road in the middle of the city when, two kids started 'j walking'. I saw them from .5 a block away, start to cross. The continued to walk, expecting me to stop when, I had the 'right of way'!!!!!:mad:

I almost got off my bike to chew the kids out!!!!:mad:

I have talked to the Deputy Police Chief many times about this issue since, I have had problems with some of the junior officers behaving just as insolent as the motorists!!!!:mad: Now, Since the Dep. Chief knows I have 'short fuse', he wants me to, report to him and, not the junior officers when, I have a problem on the road.

How the Dep. Chief did it, I will never be able to comprehend but, he has ridden a bike on the continents of Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and South America so he wants me to be safe. While I am extremely grateful for his caring attitude, it won't stop me from chasing drivers who broke the law, despite the states' 'Concealed Weapon(s)' law.

The law in my state says that pedestrians have the right of way over any vehicle. Still, It's common sense when you're walking to not place yourself in a situation where you could be injured such as stepping out in front of any moving vehicle (including a bicycle). I personally can't condemn the kids for jay walking since I"m just as guilty of it but I'm careful when I do it.

I had something like that happpen today!!!:mad: I was riding down a major 4-lane road in the middle of the city when, two kids started 'j walking'. I saw them from .5 a block away, start to cross. The continued to walk, expecting me to stop when, I had the 'right of way'!!!!!:mad:

I almost got off my bike to chew the kids out!!!!:mad:

I have talked to the Deputy Police Chief many times about this issue since, I have had problems with some of the junior officers behaving just as insolent as the motorists!!!!:mad: Now, Since the Dep. Chief knows I have 'short fuse', he wants me to, report to him and, not the junior officers when, I have a problem on the road.

How the Dep. Chief did it, I will never be able to comprehend but, he has ridden a bike on the continents of Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and South America so he wants me to be safe. While I am extremely grateful for his caring attitude, it won't stop me from chasing drivers who broke the law, despite the states' 'Concealed Weapon(s)' law.[/QUOTE]

bluboy4_us said:
The law in my state says that pedestrians have the right of way over any vehicle. Still, It's common sense when you're walking to not place yourself in a situation where you could be injured such as stepping out in front of any moving vehicle (including a bicycle). I personally can't condemn the kids for jay walking since I"m just as guilty of it but I'm careful when I do it.
[/QUOTE]
Well, My point is, not so much that, they were 'J' walking, as it is that, they saw me coming didn't even back to let go in front of them or, pick up the pace for me to go behind them.

Christopher

Well, My point is, not so much that, they were 'J' walking, as it is that, they saw me coming didn't even back to let go in front of them or, pick up the pace for me to go behind them.

Christopher[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They placed themselves in a harmful situation by stepping in front of a moving vehicle. The fact that they acted like you were supposed to stop for them is proof that you didn't know who they thought they were :).

Exactly. They placed themselves in a harmful situation by stepping in front of a moving vehicle. The fact that they acted like you were supposed to stop for them is proof that you didn't know who they thought they were :).[/QUOTE]
I almost collided with two more 'J' walkers today. I happen to see one of the 'traffic duty' officers with, her ticket book and, told her, what was happening. She said that, I was 100% right. She has even been chased, for putting tickets on vehicles. I didn't know it was that bad.

I guess those that 'J' walk, when traffic is coming, have recently left the 'looney bin', especially when they see us and, have the attitude like they own the road.:mad:

Squeaker said:

WOW! I've been reading all the replies and all I can say is LIONS, TIGERS,BEARS AND GUNS! OH MY! First you did the right thing by moving along. I commute everyday and everyday or at least 9 out of 10 I'll hear someone yelling something or doing something just plain stupid. I would rather say or do something back of a possitive nature than negative, even if it's a smile or have a better rest of the day comment just to give off a more positive outlook towards we the cyclist. I do however suggest that if you'd like to get even that you get a helmet cam. If you get someone doing something stupid, you can prove it and the local police tend to take it more seriously too. They, in some cases have sent tickets in the mail in some of the townships I ride in. I've even gone to court when requested. When the local papers get hold of the stories about it drivers will wonder or think before they do something stupid to a cyclist. As far as the gun comments, go back to driving a car with the rest of the road rage idiots.

FELTF10 said:
WOW! I've been reading all the replies and all I can say is LIONS, TIGERS,BEARS AND GUNS! OH MY! First you did the right thing by moving along. I commute everyday and everyday or at least 9 out of 10 I'll hear someone yelling something or doing something just plain stupid. I would rather say or do something back of a possitive nature than negative, even if it's a smile or have a better rest of the day comment just to give off a more positive outlook towards we the cyclist. I do however suggest that if you'd like to get even that you get a helmet cam. If you get someone doing something stupid, you can prove it and the local police tend to take it more seriously too. They, in some cases have sent tickets in the mail in some of the townships I ride in. I've even gone to court when requested. When the local papers get hold of the stories about it drivers will wonder or think before they do something stupid to a cyclist. As far as the gun comments, go back to driving a car with the rest of the road rage idiots.
Where can I get one these cameras?