Vermin

Orienteer

Guest
Got my bike out of the garage for a ride this morning, and noticed a shredded tissue in the rear
bag. On looking further, it seems mice had been in there and devoured a (Waitrose equivalent of)
Snickers bar, and chewed my waterproof cap!

Must remember a) to remove all fodder, and (b zip the bag shut in future.

Anyway, nice ride out via High Wycombe to Prestwood for lunch at the garden centre, despite being
against the wind all the way back to Uxbridge.

In article <[email protected]>, Orienteer
<[email protected]> writes
>Got my bike out of the garage for a ride this morning, and noticed a shredded tissue in the rear
>bag. On looking further, it seems mice had been in there and devoured a (Waitrose equivalent of)
>Snickers bar, and chewed my waterproof cap!
>
>Must remember a) to remove all fodder, and (b zip the bag shut in future.
>
>Anyway, nice ride out via High Wycombe to Prestwood for lunch at the garden centre, despite being
>against the wind all the way back to Uxbridge.

Bad luck with the wind. I had a lovely ride this morning, cold and sunny and no wind at all, which
was marvellous after the last couple of weeks. Also very few people around (mind you, I set off at
8.30 and was back before 11.00. I don't like to cycle around these parts during the hours when
people are going to the pub on Sunday).

I keep my bags about six feet off the ground, (no, NOT when they're on the bike) which I like to
fool myself will keep the mice out. Probably wrong, though.
--
The Big Baguette

In news:[email protected], The Big Baguette <[email protected]> typed:

> I keep my bags about six feet off the ground, (no, NOT when they're on the bike) which I like to
> fool myself will keep the mice out. Probably wrong, though.

Afraid so, Mr Baguette

From http://www.dscp.dla.mil/subs/pestmgmt/keys-id/rodents.pdf with regard to /mus musculus/ (the
House Mouse)

"Excellent climber.Inquisitive and explores home range daily."

If there is anything worth eating attached to your bicycle, Mr Mouse *will* get in unless you take
appropriate action. Those who are bothered by mice may find this link useful

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/wm05.pdf

I don't really have this problem though.

1. My bike is kept indoors in a corridor to keep it away from *human* vermin, and is sometimes
"guarded" by /felis silvestris catus/ (which should prove a deterrent against mice).

2.My appetite is such that I usually end up eating any food that happens to end up in my pannier
bags so there is nothing left for mice to get at ;)

Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Mr R@t
(2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] <[email protected]> writes
>In news:[email protected], The Big Baguette <[email protected]> typed:
>
>> I keep my bags about six feet off the ground, (no, NOT when they're on the bike) which I like to
>> fool myself will keep the mice out. Probably wrong, though.
>
>Afraid so, Mr Baguette
>
>From http://www.dscp.dla.mil/subs/pestmgmt/keys-id/rodents.pdf with regard to /mus musculus/ (the
>House Mouse)
>
>"Excellent climber.Inquisitive and explores home range daily."
>
>If there is anything worth eating attached to your bicycle, Mr Mouse *will* get in unless you take
>appropriate action. Those who are bothered by mice may find this link useful
>
>http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/cons_man/vertpest/wm05.pdf
>
>I don't really have this problem though.
>
>1. My bike is kept indoors in a corridor to keep it away from *human* vermin, and is sometimes
> "guarded" by /felis silvestris catus/ (which should prove a deterrent against mice).
>
>2.My appetite is such that I usually end up eating any food that happens to end up in my pannier
> bags so there is nothing left for mice to get at ;)

I often have half-eaten packets of fig rolls or jaffa cakes -- only for a day or so, though. I
suppose I should bring them into the house (the bike stays in the garage. The car lives outside).
--
The Big Baguette

It reminds me of the time I discovered mice in the shed and hurried down to the nearest hardware
store and asked for mice food. The guy said we don't sell mice food. I said, "Oh, sure you do, I
have bought it her many times over the years. It is usually in a locked cabinet." The salesman said,
"You mean poison, don't you?" I blushed, "Oh, yes".

Orienteer wrote:

> Got my bike out of the garage for a ride this morning, and noticed a shredded tissue in the rear
> bag. On looking further, it seems mice had been in there and devoured a (Waitrose equivalent of)
> Snickers bar, and chewed my waterproof cap!
>
> Must remember a) to remove all fodder, and (b zip the bag shut in future.
>
> Anyway, nice ride out via High Wycombe to Prestwood for lunch at the garden centre, despite being
> against the wind all the way back to Uxbridge.

Would that be Hildreths in Prestwood? Havn't been there for a long while, so they have a tea/coffee
room do they?

news:[email protected]...

"Niv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EZ5da.1269$yA.184588@newsfep2-gui...
> Would that be Hildreths in Prestwood? Havn't been there for a long while, so they have a
> tea/coffee room do
they?

> TIA, Niv.

Yes, quite a choice of sandwiches, hot dishes, and not unreasonable prices. More and more garden
centres seem to be opening cafes, fortunately, usually better than Tescos, or even worse, Barstucks
in Sainsburys with their ridiculous prices.