Vermont touring

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by bkatz, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. bkatz

    bkatz Guest

    A couple of us think we may want to head up to Vermont to do some riding. The main theme seems to be
    Route 100 north to south, but we expect to do a couple of detours to make a good week out of
    it. I've seen some random tour/ride info for Vermont on line, but nothing that seems to really
    cover a decent north/south description.

    If you have any info, please pass it along.

    We're thinking of setting up our own logistics, so tour operators please don't bombard me
    with email.

    Bryan Katz [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote let it be known in news:xQE%9.66127 [email protected]:

    > A couple of us think we may want to head up to Vermont to do some riding. The main theme seems
    > to be Route 100 north to south, but we expect to do a couple of detours to make a good week
    > out of
    > it. I've seen some random tour/ride info for Vermont on line, but nothing that seems to really
    > cover a decent north/south description.
    >
    > If you have any info, please pass it along.
    >
    > We're thinking of setting up our own logistics, so tour operators please don't bombard me with
    > email.

    I've been living and biking in Vermont for over 30 years now. If you have any questions about what
    you can expect on your trip, feel free to ask.

    Route 100 is indeed the most scenic route that will get you North to South through the middle of the
    state. It is also a winding, and at times narrow road with some major climbs.

    Just so you know, there is also a North/South route you can take on the East side of the stat that
    is less scenic, but MUCH flatter (mostly on Rte 5, it follows the Connecticut river valley between
    Vermont and New Hampshire). :)

    What time of year are you planning the ride? What climate and terrain do you usually ride it? Are
    you going to be trying to do the entire state (about 200 miles) or some portion of it? The groups I
    ride with usually do a few 'length of the state' rides per year, usually as a two day double
    century, but every year a smaller group does it in one long day.

    --

    Curt Bousquet [email protected] < Reverse for email

    Road biking in Southern VT and Western Mass.

    My 2002 bike log: http://www.scanline.com/bikelog/2002.html

  3. Pixelbrainz

    Pixelbrainz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xQE%[email protected]...

    > A couple of us think we may want to head up to Vermont to do some riding. The main theme seems
    > to be Route 100 north to south, but we expect to do a couple of detours to make a good week
    > out of
    > it. I've seen some random tour/ride info for Vermont on line, but nothing that seems to really
    > cover a decent north/south description.
    >
    > If you have any info, please pass it along.
    >
    > We're thinking of setting up our own logistics, so tour operators please don't bombard me with
    > email.
    >

    > Bryan Katz [email protected]

    Anywhere along 100 is simply fabulous. The whole state is a postcard!

    There used to be pretty good AYH hostels spaced pretty regularly as well. (I am now trying to gather
    that information myself.) You don't say if you will be fully packed or motel/hostel. If you're
    traveling fully packed, it can be pretty challenging terrain and you well may not be covering as
    much distance as you would expect looking at a map but generally once in a north south valley the
    road stays fairly moderate for awhile. Going east or west on the other hand can be tough stuff.
    Check out some of that 25 tours in Vermont book for some ideas. They really layout some nice areas.
    The tour group maps can give you an idea of the nicer side trips as well. The USGS maps can give you
    a good idea of terrain in any specific area. Some of the hostels are ski areas and consequently are
    at the top of a long climb.

    I like mountain touring and really like the Killinton north to Stowe area, the Moss Glen Falls are
    outstanding and most likely will be running well this year, this is a must see.

    Smugglers Notch near Stowe is a great ride but certainly is a challenge if packed.

    Woodstock area to Queechee gorge is pretty scenic but crowded.

    Take a day off from riding and climb Mt Mansfield.

    BTW, bring a raincoat, there is a reason why they are called the Green Mountains.

    Have a great trip PB

  4. >Anywhere along 100 is simply fabulous. The whole state is a postcard!

    >There used to be pretty good AYH hostels spaced pretty regularly as well. (I am now trying to
    >gather that information myself.)

    I assume you have found the AYH web site with hostel information, e.g:
    http://www.hiayh.org/hostels/vermont/vt.htm

    I've stayed in other New England hostels, but not any in Vermont. In my past touring I found a
    big variety amongst hostels. Everything from the busy crowded and organized ones on Cape Cod to
    quiet ones in NH. Sadly looking at the AYH site, I see considerably fewer New England hostels
    than in the past.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. Pixelbrainz

    Pixelbrainz Guest

    Yeah, I can't find a listing for the one in Stowe. Used to to be the ski lodge at Mt Mansfield.
    Couple others are gone now as well. Bumma! There seems to be a greater number of hostelling
    organizations now and this is a bit confusing. L8tr PB Mike Vermeulen <[email protected]>