UK and Europe · Public discussion

Vernon - hit & run

Started by dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers · · Last activity · 98 posts · 2,936 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 September 2004
Last activity
21 September 2004
Original author
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
Posts
98
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,936
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 98
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Also if the driver is drunk or otherwise unfit, the penalty for hit &
    run is lower than the penalty for being drunk.

    Should we suggest to Blunkett that he assumes a worst case scenario in hit
    and runs. The offender would be prosecuted for suspected drink driving,
    driving without due care & attention, and kept indefinately in a dark, dank
    hole as a suspected terrorist.

  2. Mark Thompson said:


    Quoted message said:

    Also if the driver is drunk or otherwise unfit, the penalty for hit &
    run is lower than the penalty for being drunk.

    Should we suggest to Blunkett that he assumes a worst case scenario in hit
    and runs. The offender would be prosecuted for suspected drink driving,
    driving without due care & attention, and kept indefinately in a dark, dank
    hole as a suspected terrorist.

    So that's three months suspended then.

    John B

  3. "JohnB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Thompson said:


    Quoted message said:

    Also if the driver is drunk or otherwise unfit, the penalty for hit &
    run is lower than the penalty for being drunk.

    Should we suggest to Blunkett that he assumes a worst case scenario in


    hit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and runs. The offender would be prosecuted for suspected drink driving,
    driving without due care & attention, and kept indefinately in a dark,


    dank

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hole as a suspected terrorist.

    So that's three months suspended then.

    John B

    By what part of the anatomy? All the best to Vernon. I'm sure you'll cosset
    him a bit.

    Julia

  4. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:

    Vernon was a victim of a hit & run this morning. Thankfully his injuries are
    minor, but nevertheless, it was a far from enjoyable experience for him & for
    me. I am very pleased that I am not in the position of collecting the insurance
    monies.
    snip

    Take photos of Vernon's injuries and get his injury on record at the GP.
    Probably won't be needed, but you never know - if you see the car again
    when out and about, you could take the reg then, and take matters further.

    Hateful thing to have happen - I was really sorry to read your news.

    --
    Chris

  5. "Brian G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Proven said:
    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:

    The driver did not stop. [censored]. [censored]. [censored]. I hope he rots in hell.

    Seconded.

    If there's anything in the power of mass will, I'm happy to add my bad
    wishes.

    Yeah, c'mon everybody (with apologies to Bill Haley), on the hour for the
    next 3 hours we'll all will him some kidney stones, heard they're not nice.

    My sympathies Helen & Vernon.

    Rgds,
    Pete

  6. "Mark Thompson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also if the driver is drunk or otherwise unfit, the penalty for hit &
    run is lower than the penalty for being drunk.

    Should we suggest to Blunkett that he assumes a worst case scenario in hit
    and runs. The offender would be prosecuted for suspected drink driving,
    driving without due care & attention, and kept indefinately in a dark,


    dank

    Quoted message said:

    hole as a suspected terrorist.

    Why not?
    Put the onus on the driver to prove they were fit to drive at the time, easy
    enough to do if he/she isn't [censored] and hangs around. Anyone fleeing a
    scene suggests to me that they have another agenda as well as being callous
    spineles [censored].
    And I find it hard to believe your door mirror can hit anything at any speed
    without your being aware, my nearside one only brushed the hedgerow today
    and I heard it despite the stereo being on reasonably loud. You'd have to be
    genuinely hearing impaired to not hear the offside one whack something.. Not
    only that but assuming you're in a RH drive car and are close enough to
    whack a cyclist coming the other way you'd know you were bloody close, bet
    he wouldn't pass something swinging on the front of a tractor that close.
    Piece of [censored].

    Pete

  7. Adrian Boliston said:

    I'm pretty sure that any RTA involving injury (rather than just
    vehicle damage) *must* by law be reported to police within 24 hours.

    Accident involving vehicle damage you *must* stop and provide name and
    address and vehicle details, or report it to teh police as soon as
    reasonably practicable. If there's injury you must additionally
    produce a certificate of insurance within 7 days.

    That is, there doesn't need to be an injury to require notification to
    teh police, and it's more onerous than simply within 24 hours - there
    was a case of someone who went home, had a cup of tea then set out to
    the police station who was prosecuted for failing to notify as soon as
    reasonably practicable.

    However, the police couldn't care less, in my experience - I was run
    off teh road (phsically pushed from teh road - with consequent damage
    to my vehicle) by a car that didn't stop and the police did
    absolutely zilch, and seemed slightly surprised that I'd expect
    anything to be done.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  8. Really sorry to hear this.
    Best wishes to Vernon.

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling
    John Mallard

  9. [email hidden] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Vernon was a victim of a hit & run this morning. Thankfully his injuries are
    minor, but nevertheless, it was a far from enjoyable experience for him & for
    me. I am very pleased that I am not in the position of collecting the insurance
    monies.

    Bloody nora, Helen. Glad Vern's more or less intact and hope he
    recovers confidence-wise PDQ.

    --
    Simon M.

  10. [email hidden] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
    ..

    Quoted message said:


    Vernon's helmet is dented - his glasses grazed (Thanks Simon Mason - the safety
    glasses scratched but didn't shatter, so Vernon's eyes are okay) -

    I'll send him some more - I'll hit the stores now.

    --
    Simon M.

  11. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:


    Called the police. As Vernon was injured, plod attended. It took plod
    nearly an hour to attend though. I'm not impressed by that. One thing
    plod said that I find quite horrific, and it was a throwaway line of
    plod's, "Oh I get several of these a week now." *What???* Several hit
    & runs a week?!?!?!?!!! I find that appalling. If I hear one more
    pathetic rant from uk.tosspot about hard-done by drivers, I shall not
    be responsible for my actions.

    Sorry to hear about your off. I hate to make it worse, but I got told
    something very similar (we get loads of these) when I was rammed by an
    elderly driver whilst on the motorbike.

    They can't do anything because everyone's allowed to drive if they've got a
    licence - they can only deal with it once something happens.

  12. David Hansen <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    That's why it is often best not to give them the option, by blocking
    their way at least until they have come to a standstill. They like
    the idea of scratches on their pride and joy even less than waiting
    for a second or two for a dammed cyclist scum to get out of the way
    on their road.

    I had a golden opportunity to do this. A woman in a new Jag came
    alongside me with her left turn indicator on. I was going to plant my
    bar ends into her door as she turned, but then realised I had bare
    arms and legs and it wasn't worth the road rash.

    --
    Simon M.

  13. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Vernon was a victim of a hit & run this morning. Thankfully his injuries


    are

    Quoted message said:

    minor, but nevertheless, it was a far from enjoyable experience for him &


    for

    Quoted message said:

    me. I am very pleased that I am not in the position of collecting the


    insurance

    Quoted message said:

    monies.


    snip

    Tell him to get well soon & get back on the bike.

    Tell yourself to have a nice stiff drink and relax.

    Best wishes.

    T

  14. Zog The Undeniable said:

    Obviously the car driver's actions are indefensible, but it's just
    possible that he didn't realise he hit anyone at the time - of course,
    if his mirror folded back when hit (as they're designed to) this is
    rather less likely.

    That is extremely unlikely. On the occasions when I've had wing-mirror
    contact (with another car x 2, and a wall x 1, in three separate cars)
    it's been extremely loud.

    R.

  15. Quoted message said:

    I'll send him some more - I'll hit the stores now.

    --
    Simon M.

    Simon, you are a sweetie. Thank you :-)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  16. Quoted message said:

    Firstly I hope Vernon recovers and you do from the shake up. It can be
    quite frightening but above all don't let it put you off riding.

    Thanks - it won't.

    snippitty...

    Quoted message said:

    When I had my house attacked last week by yobs we called the police only
    to be told there would be a very long wait as there were several other
    incidents. When an assault occurred and the ambulance was called the
    police were out straight away.

    Ack. Not nice, I've been in that position before, many years ago. All okay???

    snippity...

    Quoted message said:

    It *is* appalling, but par for the course, especially where there are no
    witnesses.
    It's not a nice world we live in. The police are now all but powerless
    and its not just against the motorist.

    Take it to your MP.

    I am thinking of it. I shall have to calm down enough to make sure that what I
    write is sensible and not a rant :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Take care. I've often felt the same and its disturbing but retaliation
    will often back-fire.

    I know.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  17. Quoted message said:

    It would had been better if you'd hadnt called the police.. because now
    they have motive for any retailations.

    Well that's okay then, we can all live in fear and do sod all about the thugs.
    What a nice attitude. Not.

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  18. Quoted message said:

    I'm with you here, Adrian.

    Hope Vernon recovers soon.

    Sympathy to whole Simmons family.

    Thanks Helen. Appreciated. Vernon will mend. With me it's the "what if" mental
    image that disturbs and the fact the guy was smiling as he hit Vernon :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  19. Quoted message said:

    All the best to Vernon. I'm sure you'll cosset
    him a bit.

    Thanks Julia. Cosset??? Nah.. got to be tough ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  20. Quoted message said:

    I'm glad to hear the injuries are minor. I hope Vernon feels better
    soon.

    Simon

    Thanks Simon. He'll mend quicker than I'll take to stop fuming I think ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.