Versatile folding bikes: request for honest and trusted opinions

Hi there!

I need your honest and trusted opinions, guys :)

I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
around.

Right now I'm considering to buy one of the following 20'' wheels
folding bikes, both from Dahon:

- Dahon Speed P8, 2007 edition.
- Dahon Mu P8, 2007 edition.

What do you suggest to do? What is your suggestions for purchase?
Do you consider the the Speed P8 and/or the Mu P8 a foldable touring
bike worthy to consider? Does the standard gearing of these 20''
wheels bikes is adequate for traveling in presence of hills?
Would you consider any other bike in that price level?

I will greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestion/opinion you would
like to provide me.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Dana

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I need your honest and trusted opinions, guys :)
>
> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> around.
>
> Right now I'm considering to buy one of the following 20'' wheels
> folding bikes, both from Dahon:
>
> - Dahon Speed P8, 2007 edition.
> - Dahon Mu P8, 2007 edition.
>
> What do you suggest to do? What is your suggestions for purchase?
> Do you consider the the Speed P8 and/or the Mu P8 a foldable touring
> bike worthy to consider? Does the standard gearing of these 20''
> wheels bikes is adequate for traveling in presence of hills?
> Would you consider any other bike in that price level?
>
> I will greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestion/opinion you would
> like to provide me.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

The regulars on uk.rec.cycling spend a lot more time talking about
folders than the folks on this NG, so it might be worth posting over
there. Bromptons seem to be the folder of choice for them, although they
appear to be a touch more expensive than Dahons.

On Mar 5, 4:58 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I need your honest and trusted opinions, guys :)
>
> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> around.
>
> Right now I'm considering to buy one of the following 20'' wheels
> folding bikes, both from Dahon:
>
> - Dahon Speed P8, 2007 edition.
> - Dahon Mu P8, 2007 edition.
>
> What do you suggest to do? What is your suggestions for purchase?
> Do you consider the the Speed P8 and/or the Mu P8 a foldable touring
> bike worthy to consider? Does the standard gearing of these 20''
> wheels bikes is adequate for traveling in presence of hills?
> Would you consider any other bike in that price level?
>
> I will greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestion/opinion you would
> like to provide me.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

On 5 Mar 2007 15:58:37 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
>eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
>fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
>Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
>a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
>around.

If you are talking touring, you are usually talking a Bike Friday.
Moultons certainly qualify, but they are a lot further from Dahons
than the Fridays.

That said, there simply is no all around folder. I like my Bike Friday
and it could serve as a touring bike, but it is not particularly adept
as a commuter on trains and buses, even with the bag. Generally, the
folders that are roll arounds or carry ons are poor tourers. But if I
were taking a bike on the Metro every day, it would be one that could
fold quickly and small - not a Friday.

I do like my wife's folding 7-spd Breezer, and it is sort of an all
around, but things like not having quick release in the rear bother me
a bit. And compared to my Friday, it is heavier.

OTOH, the Friday and the Breezer fold easily into the trunk and make
it easy to use at a Celtic Fair or as a day trip tourist.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Mar 6, 10:23 pm, Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2007 15:58:37 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> >eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> >fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> >Yet, this bike would be my firstfolding bikeand I would like to pick
> >a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> >around.

> If you are talking touring, you are usually talking a Bike Friday.
> Moultons certainly qualify, but they are a lot further from Dahons
> than the Fridays.
>
> That said, there simply is no all around folder. I like my Bike Friday
> and it could serve as a touring bike, but it is not particularly adept
> as a commuter on trains and buses, even with the bag. Generally, the
> folders that are roll arounds or carry ons are poor tourers. But if I
> were taking a bike on the Metro every day, it would be one that could
> fold quickly and small - not a Friday.
>
> I do like my wife's folding 7-spd Breezer, and it is sort of an all
> around, but things like not having quick release in the rear bother me
> a bit. And compared to my Friday, it is heavier.
>
> OTOH, the Friday and the Breezer fold easily into the trunk and make
> it easy to use at a Celtic Fair or as a day trip tourist.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

The Breezer is a Dahon...
Great all around bike.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I need your honest and trusted opinions, guys :)
>
> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> around.
>
> Right now I'm considering to buy one of the following 20'' wheels
> folding bikes, both from Dahon:
>
> - Dahon Speed P8, 2007 edition.
> - Dahon Mu P8, 2007 edition.
>
> What do you suggest to do? What is your suggestions for purchase?
> Do you consider the the Speed P8 and/or the Mu P8 a foldable touring
> bike worthy to consider? Does the standard gearing of these 20''
> wheels bikes is adequate for traveling in presence of hills?
> Would you consider any other bike in that price level?

I'd get the Speed or the Mu, but with the upgrades offered by Gaerlan.

For a touring model, the older Speed TR was ideal, but Dahon changed it
in 2005, worsening it in some ways. Gaerlan has modified the Speed P8 or
Mu 8 to get back the functionality of the TR model.

"http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm"

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

Or the Dahon version of it, "http://dahon.com/us/tournado.htm"

It isn't really a folder, it's a disassembleable bicycle. It doesn't
break down small enough to get around the airline bicycle fees.

> Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

In order to ride a Bike Friday or something similar, a person has got to be
impervious to peer pressure. If you had tried a Bike Friday, you would see
that without looking down at the bike, you'd never know you were on a 20"
wheel bike. It handles and feels just like my regular bike except for the
Shimano stuff whereas my regular bike has Campy.

Pat in TX

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2007 15:58:37 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
>> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
>> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
>> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
>> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
>> around.

> If you are talking touring, you are usually talking a Bike Friday.
> Moultons certainly qualify, but they are a lot further from Dahons
> than the Fridays.

Up until 2004, the DaHon Speed TR was a very good alternative to the
Bike Friday, at a much lower cost. It was closest to the New World
Tourist Dual Drive. In some ways the design was superior to the Bike
Friday. I think the list price was $800 in 2004, and the street price
was $700.

Unfortunately, they couldn't leave well enough alone, and in 2005 they
made some design changes that worsened the Speed TR.

J. Gaerlan (who I first met on a folding bike ride) now modifies the
DaHon Speed P8 and Mu P8 to get back the touring features of the Speed
TR, without the drawbacks of the current Speed TR model.

See "http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm."

I have no idea how much he charges for these changes. The New World
Tourist from Bike Friday starts at $1000 for the non-Dual Drive model.
Personally I prefer the non-Dual Drive as it's easier to change a tire
on the rear than with Dual Drive.

On Mar 8, 3:35 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> > On 5 Mar 2007 15:58:37 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> >> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> >> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> >> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> >> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> >> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> >> around.

> > If you are talking touring, you are usually talking a Bike Friday.
> > Moultons certainly qualify, but they are a lot further from Dahons
> > than the Fridays.

> Up until 2004, theDaHonSpeed TR was a very good alternative to the
> Bike Friday, at a much lower cost. It was closest to the New World
> Tourist Dual Drive. In some ways the design was superior to the Bike
> Friday. I think the list price was $800 in 2004, and the street price
> was $700.
>
> Unfortunately, they couldn't leave well enough alone, and in 2005 they
> made some design changes that worsened the Speed TR.
>
> J. Gaerlan (who I first met on a folding bike ride) now modifies theDaHonSpeed P8 and Mu P8 to get back the touring features of the Speed
> TR, without the drawbacks of the current Speed TR model.
>
> See "http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm."
>
> I have no idea how much he charges for these changes. The New World
> Tourist from Bike Friday starts at $1000 for the non-Dual Drive model.
> Personally I prefer the non-Dual Drive as it's easier to change a tire
> on the rear than with Dual Drive.

What deign changes did Dahon make, that you feel "worsened" the Speed
TR?
I find it a smooth, comfortable ride... and as you mentioned a bargain
compared to Bike Friday.

Thanks...

On Mar 8, 3:35 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> > On 5 Mar 2007 15:58:37 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> >> I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> >> eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> >> fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> >> Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> >> a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> >> around.

> > If you are talking touring, you are usually talking a Bike Friday.
> > Moultons certainly qualify, but they are a lot further from Dahons
> > than the Fridays.

> Up until 2004, theDaHonSpeed TR was a very good alternative to the
> Bike Friday, at a much lower cost. It was closest to the New World
> Tourist Dual Drive. In some ways the design was superior to the Bike
> Friday. I think the list price was $800 in 2004, and the street price
> was $700.
>
> Unfortunately, they couldn't leave well enough alone, and in 2005 they
> made some design changes that worsened the Speed TR.
>
> J. Gaerlan (who I first met on a folding bike ride) now modifies theDaHonSpeed P8 and Mu P8 to get back the touring features of the Speed
> TR, without the drawbacks of the current Speed TR model.
>
> See "http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm."
>
> I have no idea how much he charges for these changes. The New World
> Tourist from Bike Friday starts at $1000 for the non-Dual Drive model.
> Personally I prefer the non-Dual Drive as it's easier to change a tire
> on the rear than with Dual Drive.

What deign changes did Dahon make, that you feel "worsened" the Speed
TR?
I find it a smooth, comfortable ride... and as you mentioned a bargain
compared to Bike Friday.

Thanks...

Taking everthing into account, the Dahon is a good choice for what you
plan to do. Dahon's always score high in ride quality.

Tks
Dr K

www.bikesthatfold.com - Bikes That Fold is a resource for folding
bikes

On Mar 7, 2:20 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi there!

> > I need your honest and trusted opinions, guys :)

> > I'm looking for a _folder_ that I can use to do some touring and for
> > eveyday commuting.I know, I know... you are absolutely right: no one
> > fits all - of course; so, I'll not gonna to find a really do-it-all.
> > Yet, this bike would be my first folding bike and I would like to pick
> > a machine that is, to the extent as large as possible, a versatile all-
> > around.

> > Right now I'm considering to buy one of the following 20'' wheels
> > folding bikes, both from Dahon:

> > - Dahon Speed P8, 2007 edition.
> > - Dahon Mu P8, 2007 edition.

> > What do you suggest to do? What is your suggestions for purchase?
> > Do you consider the the Speed P8 and/or the Mu P8 a foldable touring
> > bike worthy to consider? Does the standard gearing of these 20''
> > wheels bikes is adequate for traveling in presence of hills?
> > Would you consider any other bike in that price level?

> I'd get the Speed or the Mu, but with the upgrades offered by Gaerlan.
>
> For a touring model, the older Speed TR was ideal, but Dahon changed it
> in 2005, worsening it in some ways. Gaerlan has modified the Speed P8 or
> Mu 8 to get back the functionality of the TR model.
>
> "http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm"

Check out the Montague (I have one) - it has 26" wheels. Weighs 29
lbs. and is a bit unwieldy for carrying folded, unless one also gets
the carry bag. But it's a full size folder. I changed to smoother
tires for my road riding. http://www.montagueco.com

C.C.

On 23 Mar 2007 07:43:46 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Check out the Montague (I have one) - it has 26" wheels. Weighs 29
>lbs. and is a bit unwieldy for carrying folded, unless one also gets
>the carry bag. But it's a full size folder. I changed to smoother
>tires for my road riding. http://www.montagueco.com

I'm looking for a folder that can handle dirt and sand roads. A big
requirement is that it fit (and be checked without a big hassle) on small
planes, for example a Cessna 402C II*. Looking at the Montague CX I see
that it folds to 36" x 28" x 12". Is that within the standards for checked
luggage? (I never check luggage, and checking a bike will be a drag.)

* http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1158362/M

Hi Don,

I think the Montague is a good choice, I have Hummer version myself. I
have just publiseed a review on it at http://www.bikesthatfold.com/

Provided the bike it bagged correctly, it should fit into checked
luggage no problem.

DrK

On 25 Mar 2007 03:24:06 -0700, Dr Kickstand <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the Montague is a good choice, I have Hummer version myself. I
>have just publiseed a review on it at http://www.bikesthatfold.com/

My biggest problem with that model is the word Hummer plastered on the side
of the frame. Amongst my green friends that is a bad word. If I couldn't
order one without it, I'd had to paint over it.

Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).

On Mar 7, 12:22 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

> Or the Dahon version of it, "http://dahon.com/us/tournado.htm"
>
> It isn't really a folder, it's a disassembleable bicycle. It doesn't
> break down small enough to get around the airline bicycle fees.

If the suitcase is the same one as Ritchey, it does. To the airlines,
it's just a suitcase...as my experience when flying to SF with one on
United.

On Mar 27, 10:14 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 7, 12:22 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> > > Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

> > Or the Dahon version of it, "http://dahon.com/us/tournado.htm"

> > It isn't really a folder, it's a disassembleable bicycle. It doesn't
> > break down small enough to get around the airline bicycle fees.

> If the suitcase is the same one as Ritchey, it does. To the airlines,
> it's just a suitcase...as my experience when flying to SF with one on
> United.

Regarding that, I got this by e-mail yesterday: Airlines are now
charging big bucks for overseas flights. Folding bikes are (so far)
supposedly immune.

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

- Frank Krygowski

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 7, 12:22 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> > > Ritchey Breakaway, not these goofy teeny wheeled bicycles.

> > Or the Dahon version of it, "http://dahon.com/us/tournado.htm"
> >
> > It isn't really a folder, it's a disassembleable bicycle. It doesn't
> > break down small enough to get around the airline bicycle fees.

> If the suitcase is the same one as Ritchey, it does. To the airlines,
> it's just a suitcase...as my experience when flying to SF with one on
> United.

Usually true, but note that the Ritchey and corresponding Dahon
slightly exceed the usual airline free size limit of 62" (L + W + H).
Ticket agents aren't usually too fussy about the dimension limit and
don't whip out a tape measure if it looks like a regular suitcase.
But technically these bikes are a little over the usual limit and
could have an oversize fee invoked if someone decides to measure the
case.