Very Bad News - Russel Pinder

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andy Chequer, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    --------
    Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that didn't
    know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The actual
    cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front forks
    failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to the
    bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department with a
    broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in the
    operating theatre as I type this note.

    I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Andy (Whitworth)
    ----------

    I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.

    Get well soon.

    Andy Chequer

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The
    > actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front
    > forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to
    > the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department
    > with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in
    > the operating theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Man, I hate hearing about stuff like this (remembering Shaun Bell's).

    God's speed to his recovery and prayers to his family.

    Please keep us posted on his cond.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:59:47 -0000, Andy Chequer wrote:

    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.

    Absolutely. We wish him the best.

    Lets all be careful out there.

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.

    This is so horrible to hear, but thanks for letting us know. Prayers and heart-felt wishes for Russ'
    full and fast recovery... God Bless.

    Bill "saddened" S.

  5. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:58:59 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    >news:8%[email protected]...
    >> (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    >--
    >> --------
    >> Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    >> didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    >> The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    >> front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    >> thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    >> department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    >> believe he's in the
    >operating
    >> theatre as I type this note.
    >>
    >> I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >>
    >> Andy (Whitworth)

    I am truly saddend to hear of this. I wish Russ and his family my deepest sympathies during their
    time of strife.

    and to echo what others have said. Please be careful out there people.

    Dave (somber evening huh?)

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The
    > actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front
    > forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to
    > the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department
    > with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in
    > the operating theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.

    Yes, indeed, this is very bad news. I hope his surgery is successful and that he has a quick and
    full recovery. Catastrophic failures of equipment are very scary, especially a front fork.

    Greg

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------

    Oh shit! Aye - all my best wishes and then some to Russ and his family - heal well and fast Russ.

    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.

    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Thanks for posting this on, Andy.

    Shaun.

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The
    > actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front
    > forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to
    > the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department
    > with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in
    > the operating theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.

    Jeez, that's terrible, especially when it's due to equipment failure. Obviously, I wish him
    all the best.

  9. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Wow. I've read some of Russel's posts. I hate it when stuff like this happens. Best wishes for a
    full and speedy recovery.

    Westie

  10. "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.

    Wishing him a full and speedy recovery (attended by lots of gorgeous nurses). Please keep us up to
    date on his condition.

    Steve E.

  11. Panda

    Panda Guest

    good luck russ

    panda

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

  12. Andy, Thanks for letting us know. Best wishes to Russ and his family. I could frankly give a rat's
    ass about a _speedy_ recovery, as long as it's a full one ;-) Speedy wouldn't hurt, though. Finger
    crossed, and toes (when I'm sitting down)

    Steve

  13. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...

    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Catastrophic failure of critical bike components suck big time. Thanks for bringing the message
    here. Here's wishing all turns out well.

    bloocow

  14. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Catastrophic failure of critical bike components suck big time. Thanks for bringing the message
    > here. Here's wishing all turns out well.

    Sudden failure of bars, stems, forks, headtubes and cranks scares the shit out of me. Makes me worry
    somewhat - my Zaskar is nearly 7 years old. It gets inspected for cracks often. Has plenty of dents,
    but no cracks yet.

    I'll cross post any updates when they crop up.

    Andy Chequer

  15. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy recovery.
    >
    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Count my digits in. My prayers are with Russ and his family. Here's to a full and quick
    recovery Russ!

    Mike

  16. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:p%[email protected]...

    > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Catastrophic failure of critical bike components suck big time. Thanks for bringing the message
    > > here. Here's wishing all turns out well.
    >
    > Sudden failure of bars, stems, forks, headtubes and cranks scares the shit out of me. Makes me
    > worry somewhat - my Zaskar is nearly 7 years old. It gets inspected for cracks often. Has plenty
    > of dents, but no cracks yet.
    >
    > I'll cross post any updates when they crop up.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    My first MTB and my first real off-road ride: going down a steep hill, right-hand turn (with a 2-3 '
    drop)...I turn the handlebar, but my bike keeps going straight....fell hard right in front of this
    hot blond that was jogging.....damn Syncros stem!

    Up in Big Bear a couple years later: there's this one "ski" jump that's really fun.....everyone hits
    it a full speed 40-50mph.....this one dude launches it and his front wheel drops out of the fork in
    mid air....I saw him at the bottom of the run holding a totally blood soaked towel over his
    face....I idiot was wearing a XC lid....few minutes later he was rushed to the hospital.
    --
    Slacker

  17. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The
    > actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front
    > forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to
    > the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department
    > with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in
    > the operating theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Ah, man... How awful for him and his family. I think sometimes we kid ourselves about how
    much control we actually have over our destinies... We wear our helmets, and carry our first
    aid supplies, and practice safe cycling, and still, sometimes lightning strikes. My thoughts
    are with him. May his healing be swift and thorough.

    Kathleen
    PS Thanks for letting us know, Andy. Keep us posted.

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Andy, Thanks for letting us know. Best wishes to Russ and his family. I could frankly give a rat's
    > ass about a _speedy_ recovery, as long as it's a full one ;-) Speedy wouldn't hurt, though. Finger
    > crossed, and toes (when I'm sitting down)
    >
    > Steve

    Is there a place we can send our virtual good wishes?

    penny

  19. "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:8%[email protected]...
    > (Posted by Andy Whitworth in uk.rec.cycling)
    -----
    > --------
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >
    > Andy (Whitworth)
    -----
    > ----------
    >
    > I'm sure am-b has its collective digits crossed for Russ' speedy
    recovery.

    > Get well soon.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Thanks for posting Andy. I have been asked to collect everything and forward it to Russ. I'm sorry
    but I only just caught up here.

    It's an impossible task to update all the places Russ is known. Please forgive the people concerned
    and if you want updates watch the forum at Singletrack
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/list.php?f=2&menu=14

    The best wishes are appreciated

    Peter

  20. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Stephen Baker wrote:
    > > Andy, Thanks for letting us know. Best wishes to Russ and his family. I could frankly give a
    > > rat's ass about a _speedy_ recovery, as long as it's a full one ;-) Speedy wouldn't hurt,
    > > though. Finger crossed, and toes (when I'm sitting down)
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Is there a place we can send our virtual good wishes?
    >
    > penny

    It's done

    Peter